The 2014 Sampson Avard Golden Scepter Award

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Doctor Scratch
_Emeritus

The 2014 Sampson Avard Golden Scepter Award

Post by _Doctor Scratch »

My dear friends and colleagues:

Once again, it's time to announce this year's very, very prestigious Sampson Avard Golden Scepter Award. It seems to me that this time of year always brings with it the special cooling breezes of autumn. One can hear them whispering through the newly bare tree limbs like the susurrus of the Holy Ghost him/herself, or like the breezy gossip that runs as lifeblood all along the Wasatch Front. As B.H. Roberts Chair of Mopologetic Studies at Cassius University, I have been given the honor of announcing the award each year. And as I have noted in the past, the Golden Scepter is a special sort of recognition, established by Dean Robbers--it honors someone, nearly always a TBM, "whose role in the course and/or study of Mopologetics has had an enormous and undeniable impact on the field." This year, the recipient of the Golden Scepter brought us special insights into the extreme anger levels of Mopologetic leadership. Indeed, this past summer, we heard something akin to those autumn breezes I mentioned, albeit amplified to gust-level strength:

You're a coward. You're all cowards.

You go to hell!

With these two simple, straightforward, unadorned utterances, we were given somewhat rare and clear, unfettered access into the mindset of the apologists. The incident, as we all know, was reportedly widely and was the source of some controversy following the summer FAIR Conference. None of this would have happened, though--and we never would have been able to so clearly read the tea leaves--if it hadn't been for this year's award-winner. Please join me in a hearty round of applause for...

Blair Hodges!

A true stalwart, a scholar, and a gentleman. I don't think that any past or future Golden Scepter Award winner will ever surpass this year's recipient. We all owe Hodges an impossible-to-pay debt of gratitude for his incomparable contributions to the field of Mopologetic Studies.
"[I]f, while hoping that everybody else will be honest and so forth, I can personally prosper through unethical and immoral acts without being detected and without risk, why should I not?." --Daniel Peterson, 6/4/14
_Tator
_Emeritus

Re: The 2014 Sampson Avard Golden Scepter Award

Post by _Tator »

Bravo, excellent choice Dr. but what's with the facial hair?

a.k.a. Pokatator joined Oct 26, 2006 and permanently banned from MAD Nov 6, 2006
"Stop being such a damned coward and use your real name to own your position."
"That's what he gets for posting in his own name."
2 different threads same day 2 hours apart Yohoo Bat 12/1/2015
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Post by _Kishkumen »

Blair Hodges is a good egg. His mistake was in thinking that there was anything to be gained by interacting with certain apologists. He compounded his error by imagining that there could be legal ramifications to the Mopologists' representation of the event. It is funny how conflicts surrounding Mopologetics frequently end with someone threatening to sue someone else.

Oddly enough, a friend at BYU recently informed me that there is a rumor floating around that institution that a senior Mopologist called Cassius University to report on me. Indeed, the Mopologist offered my chairman time-stamped posts in order to prove that I was using university resources to post on this board. And, wouldn't you know it, my friend, who was understandably outraged by the senior Mopologist's behavior, asked if I would sue the Mopologist.

Again, fascinating how it goes there so readily.
"Petition wasn’t meant to start a witch hunt as I’ve said 6000 times." ~ Hanna Seariac, LDS apologist
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

Tator wrote:... but what's with the facial hair?

It migrated.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_Tator
_Emeritus

Post by _Tator »

moksha wrote:
Tator wrote:... but what's with the facial hair?

It migrated.

You mean like gravity works?
a.k.a. Pokatator joined Oct 26, 2006 and permanently banned from MAD Nov 6, 2006
"Stop being such a damned coward and use your real name to own your position."
"That's what he gets for posting in his own name."
2 different threads same day 2 hours apart Yohoo Bat 12/1/2015
_sock puppet
_Emeritus

Post by _sock puppet »

Too bad the portrait picture does not include lower regions that would show the pants bulging from Hodges' large cajones, those that it took to call DCP a coward and tell him to go to hell--and fetch him this prestigious award!
_Dr. Shades
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr. Shades »

sock puppet wrote:Too bad the portrait picture does not include lower regions that would show the pants bulging from Hodges' large cajones, those that it took to call DCP a coward and tell him to go to hell--and fetch him this prestigious award!

I thought it was DCP who told Hodges to go to Hell, not the other way around.
"Finally, for your rather strange idea that miracles are somehow linked to the amount of gay sexual gratification that is taking place would require that primitive Christianity was launched by gay sex, would it not?"

--Louis Midgley
_sock puppet
_Emeritus

Post by _sock puppet »

Dr. Shades wrote:
sock puppet wrote:Too bad the portrait picture does not include lower regions that would show the pants bulging from Hodges' large cajones, those that it took to call DCP a coward and tell him to go to hell--and fetch him this prestigious award!

I thought it was DCP who told Hodges to go to Hell, not the other way around.

Ah, yes. DCP told Hodges to go to hell. Hodges called DCP a coward. The dispute was over which one of them made his statement to the other first.
_Everybody Wang Chung
_Emeritus

Post by _Everybody Wang Chung »

Congratulations to Blair!

He certainly deserved some kind of award after having the courage to tell DCP what BYU, Gerald Bradford and most respected LDS scholars have wanted to tell DCP for a long time.
"I'm on paid sabbatical from BYU in exchange for my promise to use this time to finish two books."

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014
_Doctor CamNC4Me
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor CamNC4Me »

I'm still befuddled by Mr. Peterson. He had no discernible academic value to BYU, and his apologetics were a complete and utter waste of tithe payer monies. Most importantly, he most likely drove more people away from the Mormon church than to it through his crass online persona. That had to be a net loss to the church's revenue stream. I just don't understand why they kept him around for so long.

V/R
Doc
In the face of madness, rationality has no power - Xiao Wang, US historiographer, 2287 AD.

Every record...falsified, every book rewritten...every statue...has been renamed or torn down, every date...altered...the process is continuing...minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Ideology is always right.