Why?

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_sock puppet
_Emeritus

Why?

Post by _sock puppet »

Why would Mormon god expect adherents today to be such uptight, straight-arrow types if he was happy using the comparatively very-much flawed JSJr as a tool for the restoration?
_Dantana
_Emeritus

Re: Why?

Post by _Dantana »

Survey says:

1) Joseph is the man. Any reports contrary are lies and anti-Mormon propaganda.

2) Joseph was a first class Ass, but, he had something.... 'Elan', a style, a presence....a rare medical condition maybe. Something God liked.

3) We aren't actually supposed to be perfect. Joseph, while speaking as an ass, wrote the rules.

4) God isn't perfect, god is a spaceman, god is Ashton K., etc.

5) Joseph and Co. made it all up.

I'm going with #5.
_Tator
_Emeritus

Post by _Tator »

I'm going with #5.
a.k.a. Pokatator joined Oct 26, 2006 and permanently banned from MAD Nov 6, 2006
"Stop being such a damned coward and use your real name to own your position."
"That's what he gets for posting in his own name."
2 different threads same day 2 hours apart Yohoo Bat 12/1/2015
_son of Ishmael
_Emeritus

Post by _son of Ishmael »

Yep. It's number 5
I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use. - Galileo

Yeah, well, that's just, like, your opinion, man. - The Dude

Don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just god when he's drunk - Tom Waits
_canpakes
_Emeritus

Post by _canpakes »

Tator wrote:I'm going with #5.

Yep.

God's part in the production of Mormonism was scripted and played by Joseph Smith. It has been interesting theater ever since.
_Eyepatch
_Emeritus

Post by _Eyepatch »

I give you my testimony <tears rolling down face> that #5 is the "true" answer!
"Man will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest." - Denis Diderot
_kairos
_Emeritus

Post by _kairos »

Number 5 it is!
_sock puppet
_Emeritus

Post by _sock puppet »

OK, since #5 it is, let me rephrase my question. If Mormonism was founded and steered for its first 14 years by such a randy rascal as the historical documents show JSJr to have been, why (and when) did the LDS Church so prudish and how can it sell the notion that Mormon God expects LDS adherents to live so much more a restricted life than Mormon God obviously allowed JSJr, the prototype Mormon? (Granted, #5 assumes that Mormon God was just an imaginary friend concocted by JSJr.)
Last edited by Guest on Sat Nov 08, 2014 10:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
_sock puppet
_Emeritus

Post by _sock puppet »

Eyepatch wrote:I give you my testimony <tears rolling down face> that #5 is the "true" answer!

Do you feel that testimony with every fiber of your being?
_sock puppet
_Emeritus

Post by _sock puppet »

canpakes wrote:
Tator wrote:I'm going with #5.

Yep.

God's part in the production of Mormonism was scripted and played by Joseph Smith. It has been interesting theater ever since.

Indeed. It has been the fodder for some great South Park episodes, the Saturday's Voyeur annual parodies and a recent Broadway musical. Too bad Henrik Ibsen isn't alive today to write a play about Mormonism.