Meet the Mormons - where did all the money go?

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Bazooka
_Emeritus

Meet the Mormons - where did all the money go?

Post by _Bazooka »

http://www.sltrib.com/opinion/1867803-1 ... e-meet-the

When "Meet The Mormons" debuted mid-October, it was to extensive media coverage in both Salt Lake City newspapers. The first weekend saw reports of it grossing nearly $4 million, ranked No. 10 overall and No. 1 in some markets, according to the Deseret News, while the story in the Trib asked, "Was it No. 10 or No. 11?"

The media coverage continued the second weekend with stories about more screens added, grossing another $560,000 to $4.5 million overall, ranking No. 37 all time in the documentary category and so on. And then ... nothing. No stories. No figures. No number of screens. Nothing.

What I would like to know is how is it doing now. How did it do last weekend. How many screens is in playing on now. What are its total gross receipts and where does it now rank all time in the documentary category. But most of all what I would like to know is how much money it generated for charity.

Please, Tribune, a follow-up story.

Jon M. Ludwig

Syracuse

Show me the money....
That said, with the Book of Mormon, we are not dealing with a civilization with no written record. What we are dealing with is a written record with no civilization. (Runtu, Feb 2015)
_Arrakis
_Emeritus

Re: Meet the Mormons - where did all the money go?

Post by _Arrakis »

Take a peek at the updated daily stats

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=daily&id=meetthemormons.htm

On Sunday, the average daily take was 19 bucks per theater. Somebody has to be paying the participating theaters to show the film. Maybe that's where the money is going.
_Yahoo Bot
_Emeritus

Post by _Yahoo Bot »

I was dragged to a screening in California several weeks after it opened here. I don't like those kind of films. I didn't like them in Seminary and I don't like them now.

But I did like this one. I thought the stories were interesting and the production values were good. Much better than your Kieth Merrill fare. More faithful that the faithless Richard Dutcher. And, of most interest to me was the that theater was packed; about 90 percent full such that it was difficult to find seating.
_Polygamy-Porter
_Emeritus

Post by _Polygamy-Porter »

Yahoo Bot wrote:I was dragged to a screening in California several weeks after it opened here. I don't like those kind of films. I didn't like them in Seminary and I don't like them now.

But I did like this one. I thought the stories were interesting and the production values were good. Much better than your Kieth Merrill fare. More faithful that the faithless Richard Dutcher. And, of most interest to me was the that theater was packed; about 90 percent full such that it was difficult to find seating.

Was like big Stake activity huh.
New name: Boaz
The most viewed "ignored" poster in Shady Acres® !
_Mercury
_Emeritus

Post by _Mercury »

Whats the final donation to the Red Cross going to be? that's the number I care about.
And crawling on the planet's face
Some insects called the human race
Lost in time
And lost in space...and meaning
_Bazooka
_Emeritus

Post by _Bazooka »

Yahoo Bot wrote:I was dragged to a screening in California several weeks after it opened here. I don't like those kind of films. I didn't like them in Seminary and I don't like them now.

How much did you pay for your ticket?
Because what seems to have happened was the Church through wards and stakes bought a load of screenings, pressured members into going and gave them free tickets for them and their friends and then claimed "success, look at all these people wanting to see the film!". It's like singers buying up all their own records to drive it to the top of the charts.
That said, with the Book of Mormon, we are not dealing with a civilization with no written record. What we are dealing with is a written record with no civilization. (Runtu, Feb 2015)
_Yahoo Bot
_Emeritus

Post by _Yahoo Bot »

Bazooka wrote:
Because what seems to have happened was the Church through wards and stakes bought a load of screenings, pressured members into going and gave them free tickets for them and their friends and then claimed "success, look at all these people wanting to see the film!". It's like singers buying up all their own records to drive it to the top of the charts.

I don't know what I paid. My wife bought through fandango.

I'm a former stake officer and think I'm somewhat wired into the activities of my stake. Not once did I hear the film mentioned in any church meeting, nor did I see it mentioned in a ward bulletin. Everything I learned about this film I learned here on this board. I went because my wife dragged me there.

And it didn't appear to be any sort of stake activity. I didn't recognize anybody there. But I was astounded by how packed it was weeks after its release.

YB
_Doctor CamNC4Me
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor CamNC4Me »

In the face of madness, rationality has no power - Xiao Wang, US historiographer, 2287 AD.

Every record...falsified, every book rewritten...every statue...has been renamed or torn down, every date...altered...the process is continuing...minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Ideology is always right.
_Bazooka
_Emeritus

Post by _Bazooka »

Yahoo Bot wrote:
Bazooka wrote:

I don't know what I paid. My wife bought through fandango.

I'm a former stake officer and think I'm somewhat wired into the activities of my stake. Not once did I hear the film mentioned in any church meeting, nor did I see it mentioned in a ward bulletin. Everything I learned about this film I learned here on this board. I went because my wife dragged me there.

And it didn't appear to be any sort of stake activity. I didn't recognize anybody there. But I was astounded by how packed it was weeks after its release.

YB

The reported statistics do not support your recounting of a packed theatre weeks after release.
_Chap
_Emeritus

Post by _Chap »

Bazooka wrote:
The reported statistics do not support your recounting of a packed theatre weeks after release.

Specifically, on this website:

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?pa ... ormons.htm

It seems that three weeks after its release, the average daily take per cinema showing this film was around 2-300 dollars.

Perhaps you went on an unusual night, at an unusual cinema.
Zadok:
I did not have a faith crisis. I discovered that the Church was having a truth crisis.
Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.