Peterson takes another bitter swipe at the Maxwell Institute

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Rollo Tomasi
_Emeritus

Re: Peterson takes another bitter swipe at the Maxwell Insti

Post by _Rollo Tomasi »

The comments at the end of DCP's essay are approaching 200 and are quite entertaining. Even the of-late-elusive Will Schryver has been posting (he's as nutty as ever). Great stuff.
"Moving beyond apologist persuasion, LDS polemicists furiously (and often fraudulently) attack any non-traditional view of Mormonism. They don't mince words -- they mince the truth."

-- Mike Quinn, writing of the FARMSboys, in "Early Mormonism and the Magic World View," p. x (Rev. ed. 1998)
_Fence Sitter
_Emeritus

Post by _Fence Sitter »

suniluni2 wrote:I don't pay too much attention to what DCP writes about the Mi but i don't get the "he can leave the MI but can't leave it alone" thing. From what I understand he put a lot of time and effort into that thing so I think he's entitled to comment, just like a lot of us around here put a lot of time and effort into the church and may feel the need to comment on church stuff. Disagreeing with the substance of his comments is always fair game, but outright dismissal because of alleged bitterness or not being able to leave it alone seems a bit hypocritical.

The comments you see accusing DCP of "leaving the MI but not being able to leave it alone" are sarcasm for the most part, intended as a tu quoque argument. Critics of the church, who are or were members, are often accused of the same thing.
"Any over-ritualized religion since the dawn of time can make its priests say yes, we know, it is rotten, and hard luck, but just do as we say, keep at the ritual, stick it out, give us your money and you'll end up with the angels in heaven for evermore."
_Hasa Diga Eebowai
_Emeritus

-

Post by _Hasa Diga Eebowai »

-
Last edited by Guest on Tue Dec 30, 2014 5:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Post by _Kishkumen »

The single most damning response to this misleading blog post is Professor Grant Hardy's condemnation of it. Hardy is a believer in the ancient Book of Mormon--the very kind of person whose interests the author claims to represent--and yet he takes the author to task for being divisive.
"Petition wasn’t meant to start a witch hunt as I’ve said 6000 times." ~ Hanna Seariac, LDS apologist
_Doctor Scratch
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor Scratch »

Here's a question. Suppose that these scholars were to actually come out and say that they don't buy into the notion of a historical Book of Mormon. What then? What would the apologists like to see happen? Excommunication? Public shaming? Fired from BYU?
"[I]f, while hoping that everybody else will be honest and so forth, I can personally prosper through unethical and immoral acts without being detected and without risk, why should I not?." --Daniel Peterson, 6/4/14
_Nightlion
_Emeritus

Post by _Nightlion »

All the believers have to do is pony up ten million dollars for my expedition to South America to prove Book of Mormon historicity. They get proof I get some cred. Zion kicks off. But they already tossed Joseph under the bus....oops.
The Apocalrock Manifesto and Wonders of Eternity: New Mormon Theology
https://www.docdroid.net/KDt8RNP/the-apocalrock-manifesto.pdf
https://www.docdroid.net/IEJ3KJh/wonders-of-eternity-2009.pdf
My YouTube videos:HERE
_Dr. Shades
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr. Shades »

Nightlion wrote:All the believers have to do is pony up ten million dollars for my expedition to South America to prove Book of Mormon historicity.

A round-trip plane ticket, a hotel stay, a rental car, and food don't cost anywhere near ten million dollars. . . especially to South America.
"Finally, for your rather strange idea that miracles are somehow linked to the amount of gay sexual gratification that is taking place would require that primitive Christianity was launched by gay sex, would it not?"

--Louis Midgley
_Bazooka
_Emeritus

Post by _Bazooka »

Dr. Shades wrote:
Nightlion wrote:All the believers have to do is pony up ten million dollars for my expedition to South America to prove Book of Mormon historicity.

A round-trip plane ticket, a hotel stay, a rental car, and food don't cost anywhere near ten million dollars. . . especially to South America.

Unfortunately Nighlion is a true Mormon after the model of Joseph Smith, it's ALL about the fame and the money.
That said, with the Book of Mormon, we are not dealing with a civilization with no written record. What we are dealing with is a written record with no civilization. (Runtu, Feb 2015)
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Post by _Kishkumen »

The goal, Doctor Scratch, is revenge against those responsible for the ouster of classic-FARMS scholars from MI.
"Petition wasn’t meant to start a witch hunt as I’ve said 6000 times." ~ Hanna Seariac, LDS apologist
_Ludd
_Emeritus

Post by _Ludd »

Wow! I just became aware of this whole blow up. It's quite a sight to see this civil war explode in public like this. All we need now is for Blair Hodges to show up and have DCP tell him to "shut up, bitch".

Anyway, the comment section is pretty amazing. I was really shocked to see Schryver go apostate-killer-crazy on Mark Wright. Seriously? Mark Wright? I'll be checking back to see if he puts David Holland or Grant Hardy in his sights next.