Peterson takes another bitter swipe at the Maxwell Institute

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Bazooka
_Emeritus

Peterson takes another bitter swipe at the Maxwell Institute

Post by _Bazooka »

It seems pretty clear that he sees little value, if any, in the work done by the Maxwell Institute (a.k.a. the Foundation for Ancient Research and Mormon Studies, or FARMS) prior to its sudden adoption of a dramatically different “new direction” in June 2012: “Holland’s and Shalev’s arguments,” he says, “provide context for new, novel, and noteworthy insights concerning the book that previous studies could hardly fathom” (174). “Now that the shackles of Mormon historiography’s exclusive nature have been shed, the real work of contextualization and interpretation can begin” (175).

What, exactly, does Dr. Park mean when he speaks so positively about “chop[ping] away at Mormonism’s distinctive message” and shedding the “shackles” of “Mormon historiography’s exclusive nature”? Is the Book of Mormon really “just another voice in a rancorous [nineteenth-century American] chorus”?

When a Maxwell Institute editor, writing in this BYU Maxwell Institute publication, laments the “the parochial and exceptionalist framework that has so plagued Mormon studies in the past” (174) and celebrates its apparent passing, is he referring, as he seems to be referring, to the kind of work on the Book of Mormon associated over the past six or seven decades with such figures as Sidney Sperry, Hugh Nibley, John Sorenson, Richard Lloyd Anderson, John W. Welch, John Tvedtnes, and Noel Reynolds, and, indeed, with FARMS itself?

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/danpeterso ... alism.html
That said, with the Book of Mormon, we are not dealing with a civilization with no written record. What we are dealing with is a written record with no civilization. (Runtu, Feb 2015)
_SteelHead
_Emeritus

Re: Peterson takes another bitter swipe at the Maxwell Insti

Post by _SteelHead »

Man sour grapes needs to learn to move on. You can leave the MI but you can't leave it alone.
It is better to be a warrior in a garden, than a gardener at war.

Some of us, on the other hand, actually prefer a religion that includes some type of correlation with reality.
~Bill Hamblin
_sunstoned
_Emeritus

Post by _sunstoned »

DCP is indeed bitter. It is obvious from this and his other laments of the past couple of years. Perhaps Dan was treated unfairly with regards to his dismissal. I wasn’t there and I don’t know the details, and I doubt Dan or anyone else has presented the whole story. Be that as it may, Dan’s post hoc behavior has done nothing to enhance his stature. Quite the opposite is true.
_Everybody Wang Chung
_Emeritus

Post by _Everybody Wang Chung »

I think it's cute that DCP posted a picture of the RLDS temple to prove his point that the MI is becoming watered down doctrinally when it comes to the Book of Mormon.

I've said it before, I wouldn't hire DCP to mow my lawn. I've never seen such pathetic behavior shown to one's former employer. He's acting like a spoiled brat with no manners.

I take no joy in watching DCP continue to self-destruct. So much talent wasted.
"I'm on paid sabbatical from BYU in exchange for my promise to use this time to finish two books."

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014
_Tom
_Emeritus

Post by _Tom »

I took a glance at Peterson's toxic post (channeling Bill Hamblin) and the aftermath. It's fascinating to see Messieurs Ralph Hancock and William Schryver jump in the cesspool over there. Hancock has dropped wisdom about the "'historical' gambit," capital-T truth, and counter-truth, and Schryver is channeling Jesus's words about the temple in Jerusalem in speaking about the Maxwell Institute.

I think they know very well that their days are numbered, but they also understand that they will leave the Maxwell Institute such that "... there shall not be ... one stone upon another, that shall not be thrown down."
“A scholar said he could not read the Book of Mormon, so we shouldn’t be shocked that scholars say the papyri don’t translate and/or relate to the Book of Abraham. Doesn’t change anything. It’s ancient and historical.” ~ Hanna Seariac
_cinepro
_Emeritus

Post by _cinepro »

Grant Hardy pleads for peace:

Dan, just for the record--I am currently associated with the Maxwell Institute and I am strongly in favor of their new direction toward more academic approaches to LDS scripture. I also absolutely believe in the ancient origins and historicity of the Book of Mormon. I have a hard time understanding why you think the two approaches are mutually exclusive and why you are continually trying to insinuate or ferret out some sort of disloyalty or disbelief at the Institute. I think that you're doing great things over at the Interpreter, and I'm very interested in the evidences of antiquity that your authors are turning up, but I see the Interpreter and the Maxwell Institute as being on the same team--though reaching out to different audiences in different ways. I wish that you would focus on doing what you do so well--as an editor and popularizer--and stop trying to destroy your former home base and the reputations of everyone associated with them. I have a great deal of respect for you as a friend and a scholar, but your bitterness is unseemly and not particularly helpful to the cause (in my opinion). It's probably time to move on.

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/danpeterso ... 1739135539

_Tom
_Emeritus

Post by _Tom »

I suspect that Hardy's words will fall on (largely) deaf ears. In this regard, I notice that the newly retired Bill Hamblin has now weighed in as well.
“A scholar said he could not read the Book of Mormon, so we shouldn’t be shocked that scholars say the papyri don’t translate and/or relate to the Book of Abraham. Doesn’t change anything. It’s ancient and historical.” ~ Hanna Seariac
_Doctor Scratch
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor Scratch »

There seem to be two key take-aways in all of this. The first is that we can probably ignore a lot of the "noise" that the Mopologists are kicking up. Their behavior relates to the "letter-writing campaign" that they staged shortly after "classic-FARMS" was given the heave-ho from the MI. All along they've been trying to convince the Powers-that-Be that the "new MI" is staffed by a cadre of closeted apostates. That failed, but it hasn't stopped the apologists from trying to drum up evidence to support that particular claim.

The other point that needs to be made is that the apologists are essentially arguing for a censorious, crippled--or "shackled," if you like--form of scholarship. In other words, they're calling for the exact opposite of academic freedom. If you are a scholar, you *should* be able to examine the Book of Mormon as if it's a product of the 19th Century. Unless I'm mistaken, that's pretty much exactly what Dan Vogel has done, and is anyone--Mopologists included--willing to say that Vogel's work *isn't* significant? The question is: what kinds of scholarship might we get if scholars are allowed to assume that the Book of Mormon was a product of the 19th century? The apologists seem hell-bent on preventing those questions from even being asked.

So, basically, what we're seeing is a smear-campaign/power-play coupled with an attempt to stymie free academic inquiry.
"[I]f, while hoping that everybody else will be honest and so forth, I can personally prosper through unethical and immoral acts without being detected and without risk, why should I not?." --Daniel Peterson, 6/4/14
_Everybody Wang Chung
_Emeritus

Post by _Everybody Wang Chung »

Doctor Scratch wrote:There seem to be two key take-aways in all of this. The first is that we can probably ignore a lot of the "noise" that the Mopologists are kicking up. Their behavior relates to the "letter-writing campaign" that they staged shortly after "classic-FARMS" was given the heave-ho from the MI. All along they've been trying to convince the Powers-that-Be that the "new MI" is staffed by a cadre of closeted apostates. That failed, but it hasn't stopped the apologists from trying to drum up evidence to support that particular claim.

The other point that needs to be made is that the apologists are essentially arguing for a censorious, crippled--or "shackled," if you like--form of scholarship. In other words, they're calling for the exact opposite of academic freedom. If you are a scholar, you *should* be able to examine the Book of Mormon as if it's a product of the 19th Century. Unless I'm mistaken, that's pretty much exactly what Dan Vogel has done, and is anyone--Mopologists included--willing to say that Vogel's work *isn't* significant? The question is: what kinds of scholarship might we get if scholars are allowed to assume that the Book of Mormon was a product of the 19th century? The apologists seem hell-bent on preventing those questions from even being asked.

So, basically, what we're seeing is a smear-campaign/power-play coupled with an attempt to stymie free academic inquiry.

Great analysis, Dr. Scratch.

It looks like you already have a new entry for next year's Top 10 List.
"I'm on paid sabbatical from BYU in exchange for my promise to use this time to finish two books."

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014
_Gadianton
_Emeritus

Post by _Gadianton »

One of the ways the apologetics shot itself in the foot is in its appeal to the authority of its scholars and celebration of the über scholar -- the untouchable Nibley. Too much emphasis was put on the credentials or the scholarly aura of apologists rather than concern for quality argument.

We've seen personality cults circle around lead apologists on these fora for years. The apologists set their own extra-textual MO years ago. Hugh Nibley wasn't great because his arguments were so good, smart as he was, he had the crazed-genius cred, but he also had spotted an opportunity. His work was based on a scholarly trend that quickly lost credibility, but for a time he was in the zone.

Did it ever matter to the apologists that Nibley was a bit off? No, because it didn't matter if the members ever understood him, only that they knew he was smarter than they are and believed the church. And I think his nitch got him some scholarly cred in the real world.

But times change. And today, there is this huge window of opportunity in the trendiness of religious studies. By the very criteria the apologists have immortalized, it shouldn't really matter what's actually in the pages of the Mormon studies pubs, but what matters is that these are people smarter then the masses who believe in the church, and have some credibility in current academia.

The trends have changed and what makes someone look smart and relevant today is different then it was in the sixties and seventies.

The market has spoken and it's time to move on.
Lou Midgley 08/20/2020: "...meat wad," and "cockroach" are pithy descriptions of human beings used by gemli? They were not fashioned by Professor Peterson.

LM 11/23/2018: one can explain away the soul of human beings...as...a Meat Unit, to use Professor Peterson's clever derogatory description of gemli's ideology.