New openess thanks to John Dehlin or the entire bloggernacle?

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Mayan Elephant
_Emeritus

Re: New openess thanks to John Dehlin or the entire bloggernacle?

Post by _Mayan Elephant »

Reading these stories makes me wonder if the so-called openness is the product of rfm and the DAMU more than the bloggernacle.

My history with t&s, bcc, m* and mormonstories was nothing that would lead someone out. If anything, I think all those sites were much more aligned with DCP and his ilk. They were all similarly moderated and edited.

The exit stories on rfm were available very early and they were written in very raw and unapologetic tones. I think that collection put real voices and real experiences together which led to many other forums.

Was anyone here part of Folk of the Fringe? What about some of the sites that sprung from the DAMU for active members? Faces East is one that comes to mind. I think it was moderated by and for TBM spouses of people that were struggling in NOM and FLAK or the Foyer levels of questioning or inactivity.

I think all the introductions at the old NOM and the exit stories at rfm tipped the scales in one very key aspect - it gave real people a glimpse of the lives and questions that other real people were having. Unstaged. Uncontrived. A rawness that was only expressed in anonymity. It was sorta the opposite of Dan Savage's campaign. It was a message that it gets worse before it gets better, but it's worth it.

About the time that rfm's exit stories were becoming increasingly popular, Martha Beck published her book about her life and her father. It was featured on Oprah.

Did Beck's book make the list of key influences? Hell no. Was it janky and odd? Yep. But it did one thing that made a huge difference for many women - it showed that if you come forward with concerns about the church or issues of abuse you will be creamed, accused, discredited and dismissed. That has not changed one goddamn bit.

I think that even in the current environment, anonymous boards and venues continue to be the cutting edge for changes. I don't think MI would be one bit different today without Shades, Gadianton, Kishkumen and others that have studied and pursued the actions of that group. The same can be said about Otterson and the other inside publishers who have been dogged and watched by real people who's only agendas are authenticity in their own lives and the lives of people like themselves.
"Rocks don't speak for themselves" is an unfortunate phrase to use in defense of a book produced by a rock actually 'speaking' for itself... (I have a Question, 5.15.15)
_souldier
_Emeritus

Re: New openess thanks to John Dehlin or the entire bloggernacle?

Post by _souldier »

mormonstories wrote:Anyway, I believe that our work with MS and WMQ was most certainly only part of the overall influence, but that it certainly was part of the influence. I could be wrong of course. And I don't mention this so much to try to take credit, but to encourage others to believe/feel like they can make a difference if they try. I believe that individuals can make a difference (e.g., John Larsen, John Hamer, Kate Kelly, Lindsay Hansen Park, Quinn, Compton, Bushman, Metcalfe, Polygamy Porter, etc.) -- and I hope that our readers and listeners know/believe this, and become motivated to try to be part of the solution.

Thanks for your input, and thanks for the work you do. My friend, cwald, and many others are leading happier live in and out of the church now thanks to your efforts. Not trying to diminish you as much as point out that there are many others in the fight who also contribute.
"It takes more than three point four... wait, six percent beer to get Sterling Archer drunk! Six percent, really?"