Missionaries start to have their iPads confiscated...

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_zeezrom
_Emeritus

Re: Missionaries start to have their iPads confiscated...

Post by _zeezrom »

RockSlider wrote:
zeezrom wrote:Wtf is the problem?

You'll be sorry Shades! Jersey Girl's influence showing already ... go ahead zee, like John Dehlin suggested ... just say it ... out right ... in harmony, with feeling

I would say it but some young and impressionable missionaries might be reading...
Oh for shame, how the mortals put the blame on us gods, for they say evils come from us, but it is they, rather, who by their own recklessness win sorrow beyond what is given... Zeus (1178 BC)

The Holy Sacrament.
_Gunnar
_Emeritus

Post by _Gunnar »

I wonder how many missionaries with iPads have found this site and logged on to it. If missionaries have cell phones or iPads, how do mission presidents enforce the only two calls home per year policy? Do they periodically check every missionary's phone and/or iPad to see what they have been using them for?
No precept or claim is more likely to be false than one that can only be supported by invoking the claim of Divine authority for it--no matter who or what claims such authority.

“If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you; but if you really make them think, they'll hate you.”
― Harlan Ellison
_Racer
_Emeritus

Post by _Racer »

Hey, wait a minute! How can they confiscate his iPad. I thought I read somewhere that in missions where iPads were required, the missionary was not only required to have an iPad, but they were required to buy their own with their own $.

Does anyone know if this is true? Does the church give them to the missionaries, or do the missionaries purchase their own?

I can tell you I would tell the MP to get bent if I paid for an iPad and he wanted to take it from me.
Tapirs... Yeah... That's the ticket!
_Bazooka
_Emeritus

Post by _Bazooka »

Gunnar wrote:I wonder how many missionaries with iPads have found this site and logged on to it. If missionaries have cell phones or iPads, how do mission presidents enforce the only two calls home per year policy? Do they periodically check every missionary's phone and/or iPad to see what they have been using them for?

I think the two things are different.

Mobile phones tend to stay in the companionship and when a missionary moves on the phone stays where it is.
iPads, as Rollo questions, are funded by the missionary (at least that was the plan) and are meant to stay with the missionary throughout their mission and they take it with them when they return home. Coupled with this the missionary is meant, through utilising the iPad apps like Facebook, to maintain contact with investigators they teach and people they convert throughout their mission, even when they transfer area.

Mobile phone records go to the mission office.
Browsing history goes to Google.

The principle of missions is to isolate the missionary from the world, including their family, for two years whilst they are intensively indoctrinated. It is a program designed to 'church break' young people into staying Mormon for the rest of their lives. This program started to be unfit for purpose when the advent of the Internet grasped those young people in the year they became an adult and before the age for missionary service. They found stuff out, went inactive and didn't serve missions. Membership activity suffered and income went down. To solve this problem the Church put on the sticking plaster of dropping the age by a year, so that young men in particular didn't have that adult 'gap' year where they could think for themselves. The fall out though, was that these younger missionaries were going cold turkey on electronic devices. Leading to an epidemic of depression, homesickness and early returns. The iPad was the sticking plaster that was supposed to stop that.
That said, with the Book of Mormon, we are not dealing with a civilization with no written record. What we are dealing with is a written record with no civilization. (Runtu, Feb 2015)
_Equality
_Emeritus

Post by _Equality »

So here is another former missionary on Reddit who says he lost his testimony on his mission because of the iPad:
http://www.reddit.com/r/exmormon/comments/2utx2g/thanks_to_ipads_i_left_my_mission_early_to_leave/
What I find most interesting about his story is the following:

The church has tried to "lock down" the Ipads by not making the App store available and limiting the web sites the missionaries can access to church-only sites. So they can't go to MormonThink or even to Fairmormon. But the church left a gaping hole: Facebook access. So this missionary found the Facebook page for Mormonthink and got information that way (though he could not follow the links). His MP let him and his companion access Fair in the MP's office for a couple weeks, and they were not impressed.

Takeaway: folks who run counter-mopologetic web sites ought to beef up their Facebook pages to include more information, rather than just links to the full web sites, so more iPad-equipped missionaries can get the lowdown.

The former missionary also said that the essays on lds.org were huge WTF moments for him.
"The Church is authoritarian, tribal, provincial, and founded on a loosely biblical racist frontier sex cult."--Juggler Vain
"The lds church is the Amway of religions. Even with all the soap they sell, they still manage to come away smelling dirty."--Some Schmo
_Mormon Think
_Emeritus

Post by _Mormon Think »

Does anyone know how the Church controls the ipads?

I have heard that they are set up to only be able to access a handful of selected sites. But that doesn't make sense if someone downloaded youtube as that wouldn't be an approved site.

Also, do the ipads have built-in wifi or do they need to find a hotspot?

Can the Mission Prez see what they are accessing or do they have to periodically turn in their ipad so the MP can look for evidence of what sites they visited?

And can these ipads' security be circumvented?

Anyone know some mishys they can ask?

thanks

Bill
_Equality
_Emeritus

Post by _Equality »

Mormon Think wrote:Does anyone know how the Church controls the ipads?

I have heard that they are set up to only be able to access a handful of selected sites. But that doesn't make sense if someone downloaded youtube as that wouldn't be an approved site.

Also, do the ipads have built-in wifi or do they need to find a hotspot?

Can the Mission Prez see what they are accessing or do they have to periodically turn in their ipad so the MP can look for evidence of what sites they visited?

And can these ipads' security be circumvented?

Anyone know some mishys they can ask?

thanks

Bill

Maybe go to that reddit thread I linked to and ask the former mishie who posted it (I think he goes by Captain_Kinderhook). He might know.
"The Church is authoritarian, tribal, provincial, and founded on a loosely biblical racist frontier sex cult."--Juggler Vain
"The lds church is the Amway of religions. Even with all the soap they sell, they still manage to come away smelling dirty."--Some Schmo
_Bazooka
_Emeritus

Post by _Bazooka »

Facebook is the problem, it was also the sole reason iPads were issued in the first place. It was to enable the missionary to still feel electronically connected and so ease the levels of depression and early returns.

I am given to understand that these types of problems are at epidemic levels within the groups of missionaries with iPads. I am also given to understand that the wider rollout programme has been cancelled as a result.
That said, with the Book of Mormon, we are not dealing with a civilization with no written record. What we are dealing with is a written record with no civilization. (Runtu, Feb 2015)
_Mayan Elephant
_Emeritus

Post by _Mayan Elephant »

i think if they give these kids more screen time they should also give them more white socks.
"Rocks don't speak for themselves" is an unfortunate phrase to use in defense of a book produced by a rock actually 'speaking' for itself... (I have a Question, 5.15.15)
_cinepro
_Emeritus

Post by _cinepro »

Racer wrote:Hey, wait a minute! How can they confiscate his iPad. I thought I read somewhere that in missions where iPads were required, the missionary was not only required to have an iPad, but they were required to buy their own with their own $.

Does anyone know if this is true? Does the church give them to the missionaries, or do the missionaries purchase their own?

I can tell you I would tell the MP to get bent if I paid for an iPad and he wanted to take it from me.

We recently had the Elders over for dinner. They didn't have their iPads yet, but confirmed that yes, they did have to pay for them, and they are considered the Elder's property (meaning Elders keep them after their missions). But they come locked-down. Interestingly, they said they would pick theirs up from the local Apple store, so somehow they are getting them pre-locked from Apple. Or maybe they get locked after they pick them up. I'm not sure.

Just over the course of dinner, my son and I came up with several different ways they might be able to get around the lockdown and other interesting things they could do with the iPads, which the Elders thought was hilarious until my wife told us to stop it.