Tom Philips also Excommunicated, according to Wikipedia

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_The Erotic Apologist
_Emeritus

Tom Philips also Excommunicated, according to Wikipedia

Post by _The Erotic Apologist »

Any word on Tom Philips' membership status? Resigned? Excommunicated? Still a member?

This afternoon an anonymous editor tweaked the Second Anointing page to say both had been excommunicated:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Second_anointing

The notion of this ordinance within the The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (LDS Church), was made popular by 2 excommunicated Mormon bloggers, John Dehlin and Tom Philips. According to them the ceremony was performed for nominated couples from the 1840s to at least the mid-1900s. Actual information about if the practice ever actually existed or is still in use, has not been established. Though similar ordinances may have at some point performed by many Mormon fundamentalist groups. It does clearly appear that it is not performed by some denominations, such as the Community of Christ, who also never practiced other latter day saint ceremonies.
Surprise, surprise, there is no divine mandate for the Church to discuss and portray its history accurately.
--Yahoo Bot

I pray thee, sir, forgive me for the mess. And whether I shot first, I'll not confess.
--Han Solo, from William Shakespeare's Star Wars
_Mercury
_Emeritus

Re: Tom Philips also Excommunicated, according to Wikipedia

Post by _Mercury »

Right now Tom is too busy wringing his hands and cackling after thinking up another publicity stunt.
And crawling on the planet's face
Some insects called the human race
Lost in time
And lost in space...and meaning
_Mormon Think
_Emeritus

Post by _Mormon Think »

Tom has not been exed. I've asked him this before and he has said he was never exed. We still email often and he has never said anything to the contrary so I am QUITE CERTAIN that Tom is still on the books of the church as a member.

Wiki needs updated.

Bill
_Tom Phillips
_Emeritus

Post by _Tom Phillips »

I have never been excommunicated nor have I officially resigned.

I do, however, consider myself a non member and not bound by their rules.

Tom Phillips
_Mayan Elephant
_Emeritus

Post by _Mayan Elephant »

Tom Phillips wrote:I have never been excommunicated nor have I officially resigned.

Tom Phillips

Thanks, Tom.

In light of recent events, do you expect that John will re-post your interview?
"Rocks don't speak for themselves" is an unfortunate phrase to use in defense of a book produced by a rock actually 'speaking' for itself... (I have a Question, 5.15.15)
_The Erotic Apologist
_Emeritus

Tom Phillips wrote:I have never been excommunicated nor have I officially resigned.

Tom Phillips
Thank you very much for the update, Tom.

Mayan Elephant wrote:In light of recent events, do you expect that John will re-post your interview?
Is the Tom Philips interview not currently available?
Surprise, surprise, there is no divine mandate for the Church to discuss and portray its history accurately.
--Yahoo Bot

I pray thee, sir, forgive me for the mess. And whether I shot first, I'll not confess.
_Doctor CamNC4Me
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor CamNC4Me »

In the face of madness, rationality has no power - Xiao Wang, US historiographer, 2287 AD.

Every record...falsified, every book rewritten...every statue...has been renamed or torn down, every date...altered...the process is continuing...minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Ideology is always right.
_The Erotic Apologist
_Emeritus

--Yahoo Bot

_Mercury
_Emeritus

Post by _Mercury »

Tom Phillips

How is that next lawsuit coming along? Also, you kept insinuating that you had some big reveal for the october surprise. Are you ready to admit that you led everyone else along with vague insinuations and grandstanding, giving the impression that you were going to reveal a damning leak?

At any time before the delayed fiasco that was the "lawsuit" why didn't you correct and hinder the rampant speculation that you had damning information?
And crawling on the planet's face
Some insects called the human race
Lost in time
And lost in space...and meaning