John Gee, Historian

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

John Gee, Historian

Post by _Kishkumen »

John Gee wrote:Joseph Smith never read the Bible before he translated the Book of Mormon, did not even own one, and was ignorant of it. He seems never to have read the apocrypha in his life.

http://fornspollfira.blogspot.com/2015/03/on-latest-anti-mormon-attack-on-book-of.html
Last edited by Guest on Sat Mar 28, 2015 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Petition wasn’t meant to start a witch hunt as I’ve said 6000 times." ~ Hanna Seariac, LDS apologist
_cwald
_Emeritus

Re: John Gee, Historian

Post by _cwald »

WTF?

Isn't about a third of the Book of Mormon direct plagiarism of the Bible. .. even plagiarized all the KJ English translation errors?
"Jesus gave us the gospel, but Satan invented church. It takes serious evil to formalize faith into something tedious and then pile guilt on anyone who doesn’t participate enthusiastically." - Robert Kirby

Beer makes you feel the way you ought to feel without beer. -- Henry Lawson
_Everybody Wang Chung
_Emeritus

Post by _Everybody Wang Chung »

Kishkumen wrote:
John Gee wrote:Joseph Smith never read the Bible before he translated the Book of Mormon, did not even own one, and was ignorant of it. He seems never to have read the apocrypha in his life.

Is this for real? Could you provide a link?

If John Gee really believes this, I guess he doesn't believe in the Joseph Smith History and the whole James 1:5 account. Wow!

I guess he will be announcing his resignation from the Church soon.
"I'm on paid sabbatical from BYU in exchange for my promise to use this time to finish two books."

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Post by _Kishkumen »

Compare John Gee the historian with Lucy Mack Smith:

Lucy Mack Smith wrote:I presume our family presented an aspect as singular as any that ever lived on the face of the earth... giving the most profound attention to a boy, eighteen years of age, who had never read the Bible through in his life....
"Petition wasn’t meant to start a witch hunt as I’ve said 6000 times." ~ Hanna Seariac, LDS apologist
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Post by _Kishkumen »

Compare John Gee the historian with Joseph Smith:

Jospeh Smith wrote:11 While I was laboring under the extreme difficulties caused by the contests of these parties of religionists, I was one day reading the Epistle of James, first chapter and fifth verse, which reads: If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that giveth to all men liberally, and upbraideth not; and it shall be given him.

12 Never did any passage of scripture come with more power to the heart of man than this did at this time to mine. It seemed to enter with great force into every feeling of my heart. I reflected on it again and again, knowing that if any person needed wisdom from God, I did; for how to act I did not know, and unless I could get more wisdom than I then had, I would never know; for the teachers of religion of the different sects understood the same passages of scripture so differently as to destroy all confidence in settling the question by an appeal to the Bible.
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Post by _Kishkumen »

John Gee:

[Joseph Smith] seems never to have read the apocrypha in his life.

JST Manuscript:

The Songs of Solomon are not inspired writings.
_Chap
_Emeritus

Post by _Chap »

Kishkumen wrote:Compare John Gee the historian with Joseph Smith:

Joseph Smith wrote:11 While I was laboring under the extreme difficulties caused by the contests of these parties of religionists, I was one day reading the Epistle of James, first chapter and fifth verse, which reads: If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that giveth to all men liberally, and upbraideth not; and it shall be given him.

12 Never did any passage of scripture come with more power to the heart of man than this did at this time to mine. It seemed to enter with great force into every feeling of my heart. I reflected on it again and again, knowing that if any person needed wisdom from God, I did; for how to act I did not know, and unless I could get more wisdom than I then had, I would never know; for the teachers of religion of the different sects understood the same passages of scripture so differently as to destroy all confidence in settling the question by an appeal to the Bible.

Um - and that passage is part of the lead-up to, like, the most important turning point in Joseph Smith's young life, the First Vision?

Here is the the young Joseph Smith, depicted reading the Bible at lds.org:

Caption:
While deciding which church to join, Joseph turned to the Bible for guidance. There he read, “Ask of God.”

Please note too that he is aware of divergences amongst the sects about how to interpret the Bible, a text with which he is evidently familiar, since he knew where to look for advice on the problem that troubled him ...

So you'd expect believing LDS like John Gee to be familiar with that passage, right?

Right.

But let's be fair to Gee - his view is that Joseph Smith simply found the passage at random:

Multiple accounts of the First Vision indicate that Joseph Smith found James 1:5 simply by flipping through the Bible at random. In an 1843 interview, Joseph Smith said that:

There was a reformation among the different religious denominations in the neighborhood where I lived, and I became serious, and was desirous to know what Church to join. While thinking of this matter, I opened the Testament promiscuously on these words, in James, 'Ask of the Lord who giveth to all men liberally and upbraideth not.' I just determined I'd ask him.

("The Praries, Nauvoo, Joe Smith, the Temple, the Mormons, &c." The Pittsburgh Weekly Gazette 58 [September 15, 1843]: 3, reprinted in Dean C. Jessee, The Papers of Joseph Smith [Salt Lake City: Deseret Book, 1989], 1:444.)

Alexander Niebaur records Joseph Smith as telling him:

Joseph tolt us the first call he had a Revival meeting his mother & Br & Sist got Religion, he wanted to get Religion too wanted to feel & sho shout like the Rest but could feel nothing, opened his Bible f the first Passage that struck him was if any man lack wisdom let him ask of God who giveth to all men liberallity & upbraidat not went into the Wood to pray

(Alexander Neibaur Journal, 24 May 1844, in Jessee, The Papers of Joseph Smith, 1:641.)

"opened his Bible" - so he had one?
Zadok:
I did not have a faith crisis. I discovered that the Church was having a truth crisis.
Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.
_I have a question
_Emeritus

Post by _I have a question »

Kishkumen wrote:

http://fornspollfira.blogspot.com/2015/03/on-latest-anti-mormon-attack-on-book-of.html

Joseph Smith wrote: 11 While I was laboring under the extreme difficulties caused by the contests of these parties of religionists, I was one day reading the Epistle of James, first chapter and fifth verse, which reads: If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that giveth to all men liberally, and upbraideth not; and it shall be given him.

https://www.lds.org/scriptures/pgp/js-h/1?lang=eng

John Gee is an embarrassment to the Church and the field of Egyptology.

IHAQ

*Sorry Kish, I was quicker with the finger than I was with the eye.
“When we are confronted with evidence that challenges our deeply held beliefs we are more likely to reframe the evidence than we are to alter our beliefs. We simply invent new reasons, new justifications, new explanations. Sometimes we ignore the evidence altogether.” (Mathew Syed 'Black Box Thinking')
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Post by _Kishkumen »

Despite the fact that, according to Gee the historian, Joseph Smith readily recognized the biblical quotations of Moroni, chapter and verse, he did not read the Bible:

36 After telling me these things, he commenced quoting the prophecies of the Old Testament. He first quoted part of the third chapter of Malachi; and he quoted also the fourth or last chapter of the same prophecy, though with a little variation from the way it reads in our Bibles. Instead of quoting the first verse as it reads in our books, he quoted it thus:

37 For behold, the day cometh that shall burn as an oven, and all the proud, yea, and all that do wickedly shall burn as stubble; for they that come shall burn them, saith the Lord of Hosts, that it shall leave them neither root nor branch.

38 And again, he quoted the fifth verse thus: Behold, I will reveal unto you the Priesthood, by the hand of Elijah the prophet, before the coming of the great and dreadful day of the Lord.

39 He also quoted the next verse differently: And he shall plant in the hearts of the children the promises made to the fathers, and the hearts of the children shall turn to their fathers. If it were not so, the whole earth would be utterly wasted at his coming.

40 In addition to these, he quoted the eleventh chapter of Isaiah, saying that it was about to be fulfilled. He quoted also the third chapter of Acts, twenty-second and twenty-third verses, precisely as they stand in our New Testament. He said that that prophet was Christ; but the day had not yet come when “they who would not hear his voice should be cut off from among the people,” but soon would come.

41 He also quoted the second chapter of Joel, from the twenty-eighth verse to the last. He also said that this was not yet fulfilled, but was soon to be. And he further stated that the fulness of the Gentiles was soon to come in. He quoted many other passages of scripture, and offered many explanations which cannot be mentioned here.

How would Joseph have recalled where Moroni departed from the Bible and where he was quoting precisely if he was biblically illiterate?
_RockSlider
_Emeritus

Post by _RockSlider »

after his organization getting booted out of the professional digs, what does he have to lose?