Holland doubles down on Adam and Eve... Hey BC!?

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_SteelHead
_Emeritus

Holland doubles down on Adam and Eve... Hey BC!?

Post by _SteelHead »

Did he not say he didn't know what happened on Earth before the fall, except there was no human death?

Your pre-adamite theory just took an ecclesiastical hit.
It is better to be a warrior in a garden, than a gardener at war.

Some of us, on the other hand, actually prefer a religion that includes some type of correlation with reality.
~Bill Hamblin
_DarkHelmet
_Emeritus

Re: Holland doubles down on Adam and Eve... Hey BC!?

Post by _DarkHelmet »

BC Space is the authority on official doctrine. If Holland contradicted BC Space, then Holland is wrong.
"We have taken up arms in defense of our liberty, our property, our wives, and our children; we are determined to preserve them, or die."
- Captain Moroni - 'Address to the Inhabitants of Canada' 1775
_No_Hidden_Agenda
_Emeritus

Post by _No_Hidden_Agenda »

SteelHead wrote:Did he not say he didn't know what happened on Earth before the fall, except there was no human death?

Holland prefaces the "no human death or future family" statement with a note that Adam and Eve were living for a time in the Garden where there was not human death or future family.

Thus the escape clause Mormonism needs of death outside the Garden remains...

Not that it makes any sense to delineate no death in one Garden for a little while while death (including human) ran rampant everywhere else.
_cinepro
_Emeritus

Post by _cinepro »

I think the explanation is that the humanoid pre-adamites weren't "human". They had animal spirits that looked "human", but they weren't spirit children of God. So Adam was the first "human" with a real human spirit.

It's simply wonderful and wonderfully simple.
_KevinSim
_Emeritus

Post by _KevinSim »

cinepro wrote:I think the explanation is that the humanoid pre-adamites weren't "human". They had animal spirits that looked "human", but they weren't spirit children of God. So Adam was the first "human" with a real human spirit.

It's simply wonderful and wonderfully simple.

There's so much emphasis in Genesis 2-3 about the knowledge of good and evil, that my personal opinion is that Adam and Eve were the first two humans who really understood the difference between good and evil; before them all humans (or near-humans) were innocent, in the same way that children younger than eight are innocent. So, yes, the humans before Adam and Eve would look human; in many ways they were human, but they hadn't advanced to the point of understanding the difference between good and evil.

So God finds two people who have the potential of understanding the difference between good and evil, and puts them in a garden, and gives them immortality until they partake of the fruit of the tree, at which point God takes their immortality away from them? That's a possibility, I guess. Although, unlike Holland, I don't really see the need for there to have been the immortality in the first place. I respect Holland, so if he tells me there was immortality I'll try to believe that, but like I said, I don't really see the need.
KevinSim

Reverence the eternal.
_Craig Paxton
_Emeritus

Post by _Craig Paxton »

DarkHelmet wrote:BC Space is the authority on official doctrine. If Holland contradicted BC Space, then Holland is wrong.

^^^^^^^ Caused Audible Chuckle^^^^^^^
"...The official doctrine of the LDS Church is a Global Flood" - BCSpace

"...What many people call sin is not sin." - Joseph Smith

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away" - Phillip K. Dick

“The meaning of life is that it ends" - Franz Kafka
_Craig Paxton
_Emeritus

Post by _Craig Paxton »

SteelHead wrote:Did he not say he didn't know what happened on Earth before the fall, except there was no human death?

It appears that the church to adopting the "Shrinking Eden Theory"...which is similar to the "Shrinking Book of Mormon Geography Theory". All of these events central to Mormonisms truth occured in a one square inch location known only to God... if reality keeps pushing...I'm sure that the next apologetic argument will be that both of these events took place within the same exact square inch location...that eliminates the need for that extra square inch...
"...The official doctrine of the LDS Church is a Global Flood" - BCSpace

"...What many people call sin is not sin." - Joseph Smith

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away" - Phillip K. Dick

“The meaning of life is that it ends" - Franz Kafka
_suniluni2
_Emeritus

Post by _suniluni2 »

But I thought Adam and Eve were alone, both before and after the fall? Adam was alone, and that's why god create Eve in the first place.
_SteelHead
_Emeritus

Post by _SteelHead »

Non human humans.... My head hurts. Any discernable archeological/anthropological evidence that would reflect in the existing cultures of the time (not having human souls) vs those that gained souls? Changes to art, religious rites, burial practices, etc, once they became real humans?
Last edited by Guest on Mon Apr 06, 2015 8:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
It is better to be a warrior in a garden, than a gardener at war.

Some of us, on the other hand, actually prefer a religion that includes some type of correlation with reality.
~Bill Hamblin
_Maksutov
_Emeritus

Post by _Maksutov »

This is one of the primary LDS anti-evolution arguments as well. Death before The Fall negates The Atonement, therefore if Jesus and the Church are true then science is wrong. If science is wrong and opposed to the Church it is because science is inspired by and a tool of the adversary.
"God" is the original deus ex machina. --Maksutov