"Midnight Mormons" Profanes Temple

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Kishkumen
God

Re: "Midnight Mormons" Profanes Temple

Post by Kishkumen »

consiglieri wrote:
Tue Sep 14, 2021 2:22 pm
Some things are beneath even me.
As I know, you are above many things. No offense to Bill Reel, but I see you trying to rein him in when he gets really worked up and draws sweeping conclusions.

What we see here is a pack of fools who are treading on the sacred as they falsely accuse others. It is many layers of disgusting and disturbing.

I would haul them into the stake president right away. I am shocked that they are allowed to profane and speak falsely to the extent that they do.
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
consiglieri
Prophet

Post by consiglieri »

I think the wisdom of FAIR in cutting them loose is beginning to be made manifest.
Dr Moore
Endowed Chair of Historical Innovation

Post by Dr Moore »

I may be mistaken, but I don't recall Bill Reel or RFM ever playing videos of people dancing around in temple robes.

In fact I had never seen that dancing robes video before, because I'm not scouring prurient corners of the Internet for examples of what not to be. I don't need someone to show me looped video of murder to know that we should all condemn murder.

That Midnight Mormons episode should be removed from the Internet. We are all dumber for having watched it.
Last edited by Dr Moore on Tue Sep 14, 2021 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sledge
Area Authority

Post by Sledge »

Kishkumen wrote:
Tue Sep 14, 2021 1:38 pm
I am very sensitive about the profaning of the LDS temple. I object to it whenever it occurs. I don't want to see it. I do not approve of it. NNN's profaning of the temple is disgusting to me, whatever his reasons are for doing so. To me his reasons don't justify what he is doing. Decent people do not profane what is sacred to others. And when we profane what is sacred to others, we are not being decent.

And so I am not only puzzled but disgusted by Midnight Mormons showing a woman profaning the temple robes, and thereby profaning the temple robes. You sick jokers disgust me. You want to know why you should not be respected or taken seriously? Because you are all about the cheap stunts and provocations. You clowns are beneath contempt. If I were your stake president, you would be dragged into my office immediately to answer for your actions.
This may seem like a provocation, but it is a genuine question: why did you not say anything when RFM did it first?
dastardly stem
God

Post by dastardly stem »

I kind of like profanity.

There is, in my mind, a world of difference between many of the stunts I've gotten wind of that NNN has done, and the lady dancing around in temple clothes in my mind. I chuckle at the latter and have no patience at all for the former.

Making light of religious is a good thing, I'd say. Demeaning and demoralizing gets difficult to justify, but then again drawing a line to cross is not an easy task.

And I"m not following on the midnight Mormons reference here, so I may be way off. Not sure what others have done.
“Every one of us is, in the cosmic perspective, precious. If a human disagrees with you, let him live. In a hundred billion galaxies, you will not find another.”
― Carl Sagan, Cosmos
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

consiglieri wrote:
Tue Sep 14, 2021 2:25 pm
I think the wisdom of FAIR in cutting them loose is beginning to be made manifest.
Indeed. Now the Church needs to follow suit. Cut them loose.
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

Sledge wrote:
Tue Sep 14, 2021 2:31 pm
This may seem like a provocation, but it is a genuine question: why did you not say anything when RFM did it first?
See Dr. Moore's post above.
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

dastardly stem wrote:
Tue Sep 14, 2021 2:36 pm
I kind of like profanity.

There is, in my mind, a world of difference between many of the stunts I've gotten wind of that NNN has done, and the lady dancing around in temple clothes in my mind. I chuckle at the latter and have no patience at all for the former.

Making light of religious is a good thing, I'd say. Demeaning and demoralizing gets difficult to justify, but then again drawing a line to cross is not an easy task.

And I"m not following on the midnight Mormons reference here, so I may be way off. Not sure what others have done.
First of all, break open a dictionary and look up some words. Profane in this context is a verb. Profanity is a noun. They do not refer to exactly the same thing.

Secondly, I simply disagree with you. Making light of what others hold sacred is what it means to lack humanity and civilization according to a very old and longstanding view.

Showing that you do not in fact hold sacred what you claim to hold sacred by profaning it is arguably worse.
Chap
God

Post by Chap »

Speaking a little simplistically, I have two ways of approaching the matter of 'sacredness' ascribed to places, objects or ceremonies:

(a) In personal contacts - here the decisive factor is kindness. If a religious believer feels that a place, object or ceremony is [what we call in English] 'sacred', then, while avoiding any hypocritical pretence that I share their belief, I will conduct the conversation in a way that is unlikely to upset or distress the believer. Why cause hurt unnecessarily? I'm also on occasion happy to participate in an activity if invited to, so long as the activity is not one which requires me to make any existential commitment such as saying the words of a statement of belief. Examples are a Jewish seder, or the ceremonies of cult systems that imply nothing more than a performing certain acts. What harm can it do?

(b) In the public square, where participants knowingly commit to saying what they mean and hearing the views of others, knowing that these may be uncomfortable - here the primary value is truth. I make plain my view that categories of the 'sacred' are frequently supportive of structures of control and domination that small privileged groups make use of to express and enforce their authority over the un-privileged. In the context of this board, it appears to me that the complex of belief and practice centring on LDS temples is part of a major structure of privileged power and control. In my view, the subversion of privileged power through ridicule can be a legitimate move in such exchanges, at least in certain contexts.
Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.
Mayan Elephant:
Not only have I denounced the Big Lie, I have denounced the Big lie big lie.
dastardly stem
God

Post by dastardly stem »

Kishkumen wrote:
Tue Sep 14, 2021 2:48 pm

First of all, break open a dictionary and look up some words. Profane in this context is a verb. Profanity is a noun. They do not refer to exactly the same thing.

Secondly, I simply disagree with you. Making light of what others hold sacred is what it means to lack humanity and civilization according to a very old and longstanding view.

Showing that you do not in fact hold sacred what you claim to hold sacred by profaning it is arguably worse.
I don't mean to upset you with my disagreement here. Thanks for the lesson. I'm aware they are different, even though the root refers to the same meaning.

Profaning that which is sacred to some holds a strong tradition in free societies and I think it should continue to some extent or another. I caught the video since I posted a little earlier, so I realize what Midnight Mormons refers to--somehow I forgot that's a show that they do.

My wife showed me the video of the lady skating and dancing in her temple clothes and, I admit, it made me chuckle a little. I find little to be offended by it, and I still try to be cautious regarding other people's feelings. And though I realize this little video may offend some LDS members to some extent or another, I don't think it's much more than a silly stunt hoping to loosen the tenseness of relations we all need to navigate. If I can't make a joke to my brother or sister that may tend to profane their beliefs and bit, and they not learn to live with it and still love me, we'd hardly be able to have a relationship. If they too can't razz me about my position, we simply wouldn't get along much.
“Every one of us is, in the cosmic perspective, precious. If a human disagrees with you, let him live. In a hundred billion galaxies, you will not find another.”
― Carl Sagan, Cosmos