"Midnight Mormons" Profanes Temple

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Chap
God

Re: "Midnight Mormons" Profanes Temple

Post by Chap »

MG 2.0 wrote:
Thu Sep 16, 2021 4:49 pm
Chap wrote:
Thu Sep 16, 2021 4:44 pm
In what exactly do the "validity and efficaciousness" you refer to consist? I mean, if someone said "Gosh, what happened last time I was in the temple was valid and efficacious", and he was wrong, how would one tell that he was wrong?
That the work encapsulated within the performance of the ordinances performed by God’s approbation and authority within the sacred walls of the temple provides the means by which God’s children can return to His presence and share in His glory.

Regards,
MG
OK. So you are only going to find out whether the ceremonies performed were in fact valid and efficacious after you are dead.
Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.
Mayan Elephant:
Not only have I denounced the Big Lie, I have denounced the Big lie big lie.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

MG 2.0 wrote:
Thu Sep 16, 2021 4:49 pm
Chap wrote:
Thu Sep 16, 2021 4:44 pm

In what exactly do the "validity and efficaciousness" you refer to consist? I mean, if someone said "Gosh, what happened last time I was in the temple was valid and efficacious", and he was wrong, how would one tell that he was wrong?
That the work encapsulated within the performance of the ordinances performed by God’s approbation and authority within the sacred walls of the temple provides the means by which God’s children can return to His presence and share in His glory.

Regards,
MG
-_-
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

I find myself sympathetic with the very different views of both MG and Dr Exiled. I will respond to both in reverse order.

To Dr Exiled I would say that you have really put your finger on a problem that does filter down to the average members. People can become disillusioned by the apparently materialistic priorities of the leadership.

To MG I would say yes, in my view it is the faith and devotion of the average patron or temple worker that makes the temple a sacred experience. Many thousands of people are spiritually nourished by their temple activity.
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

If a true blue Mormon couple had worn their Temple clothes to the America-themed Met Gala, they would have received applause, even after labor day. Take that so-called "critics"!!!
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Jason Bourne
Star A

Post by Jason Bourne »

Kishkumen wrote:
Tue Sep 14, 2021 2:05 pm
consiglieri wrote:
Tue Sep 14, 2021 2:02 pm
Playing the victim card can be a dicey thing.
If this is allowed to stand, then I fear the message that will be taken away from this is that the temple is not sacred after all. It blows my mind that these "gentlemen" even considered doing this. Why are they even LDS?
Who are these people and what are they doing?
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

Jason Bourne wrote:
Fri Sep 17, 2021 10:24 am
The same jokers who made This Is The Show.
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
IHAQ
God

Post by IHAQ »

Kishkumen wrote:
Thu Sep 16, 2021 11:17 pm
Many thousands of people are spiritually nourished by their temple activity.
For the purposes of discussion...
I think that's a bold assertion with probably very little beyond anecdotal examples to support it. I'm equally sure many thousands of people are creeped out by their temple activity. Just because one person finds a thing sacred, is it then a requirement that other people must treat it as sacred?
IHAQ
God

Post by IHAQ »

Kishkumen wrote:
Fri Sep 17, 2021 10:31 am
Jason Bourne wrote:
Fri Sep 17, 2021 10:24 am
The same jokers who made This Is The Show.
It would be interesting to see who is funding "Midnight Mormons"
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

IHAQ wrote:
Fri Sep 17, 2021 10:32 am
For the purposes of discussion...
I think that's a bold assertion with probably very little beyond anecdotal examples to support it. I'm equally sure many thousands of people are creeped out by their temple activity. Just because one person finds a thing sacred, is it then a requirement that other people must treat it as sacred?
I am aware that some people are creeped out by their temple experience. Most of those elect not to go if they can help it. Those who go regularly probably get a lot out of it. Hugh Nibley was effusive about his experience, well, effusive for him. Being creeped out is, I think, largely the LDS Church’s fault because it fails to prepare members properly for the temple.
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

IHAQ wrote:
Fri Sep 17, 2021 10:34 am
It would be interesting to see who is funding "Midnight Mormons"
Indeed! Probably indirectly by the LDS Church itself.