Joseph Smith, Salvation, and Authority

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Re: Joseph Smith, Salvation, and Authority

Post by _Kishkumen »

consiglieri wrote:One thing I find fascinating (and that I was hitherto unaware of) is Brigham Young's view that Joseph Smith is one of the "angels who stand as sentinels" one must pass, and whose approbation one must obtain, before entering through the veil into the presence of God.

Since there are multiple sentinels, are we to presume the rest are subsequent presidents of the LDS Church?

Joseph is probably the sentinel for all born in this dispensation. It may be that the presidents during your lifetime will also be present. So, I would have a heavenly court of love presided over by Joseph Smith, and the high counselors will include every president of the Church during my lifetime.

Somehow, I don't think I will fare so well.
"Petition wasn’t meant to start a witch hunt as I’ve said 6000 times." ~ Hanna Seariac, LDS apologist
_fetchface
_Emeritus

Post by _fetchface »

mentalgymnast wrote:Knowing what we know about Joseph, he'd punch you right back. :lol: That might get some attention on up the line. I wonder if Jesus would frown or smile? Or just laugh. :wink:

by the way, I don't think the system and/or afterlife operations is/are set up where there is an actual 'line' in the sense of a reception line where you just kind of go through and introduce yourself and that's that.

Regards,
MG

Yeah, after reading Quinn's paper on Joseph's violence it seems that Joseph had a real temper problem. It's pretty ironic to have such a guy as the gatekeeper for the prince of peace.
Ubi Dubium Ibi Libertas
My Blog: http://untanglingmybrain.blogspot.com/
_Chap
_Emeritus

Post by _Chap »

mentalgymnast wrote:
Chap wrote:...seeing that getting into heaven is a Rather Important Question, can you refer me to any statement by a more authoritative source, specifically dealing with the question of Joseph Smith as a celestial gatekeeper, that supersedes the clear teaching of the prophet Brigham Young?

If Joseph does play a part in the system of operations that have to do with Celestial Kingdom admittance I would simply say...I think God/Jesus would be playing a larger role that supercedes whatever part Joseph plays, large or small. ...

To be blunt, your personal opinion on such a matter is, well, like I already said:

Zadok:
I did not have a faith crisis. I discovered that the Church was having a truth crisis.
Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.
_fetchface
_Emeritus

Post by _fetchface »

I'm just glad I learned all the handshakes and secret answers so I can work my way down the line endless line of sentinels and spike the punch at the most boring party in the universe. That is, if my arms aren't too tired after doing the handshakes with the endless concourses of sentinels.
Ubi Dubium Ibi Libertas
My Blog: http://untanglingmybrain.blogspot.com/
_consiglieri
_Emeritus

Post by _consiglieri »

Kishkumen wrote:Joseph is probably the sentinel for all born in this dispensation. It may be that the presidents during your lifetime will also be present. So, I would have a heavenly court of love presided over by Joseph Smith, and the high counselors will include every president of the Church during my lifetime.

Somehow, I don't think I will fare so well.

Just stay brushed up on your signs and tokens.
You prove yourself of the devil and anti-mormon every word you utter, because only the devil perverts facts to make their case.--ldsfaqs (6-24-13)