Botched Rescue in Boise

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Gadianton
_Emeritus

Re: Botched Rescue in Boise

Post by _Gadianton »

Rev,

I thought snuffer was all about Joseph Smith? I thought his issues were with anything after smith. What am I missing? Why is the Book of Mormon in question?
Lou Midgley 08/20/2020: "...meat wad," and "cockroach" are pithy descriptions of human beings used by gemli? They were not fashioned by Professor Peterson.

LM 11/23/2018: one can explain away the soul of human beings...as...a Meat Unit, to use Professor Peterson's clever derogatory description of gemli's ideology.
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Post by _Kishkumen »

Gadianton wrote:Rev,

I thought snuffer was all about Joseph Smith? I thought his issues were with anything after smith. What am I missing? Why is the Book of Mormon in question?

I should have been clearer, Dean. It looks to me that they were trying to address the problems of the Dehlin types and the Snufferites at the same time. Ultimately, neither effort was at all persuasive. But, I suppose that those who were only passingly familiar with the issues might have been either mollified or cowed into submission.
"Petition wasn’t meant to start a witch hunt as I’ve said 6000 times." ~ Hanna Seariac, LDS apologist
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Post by _Kishkumen »

Sammy Jankins wrote:The challenge for doubters to personally produce something comparable to The Book of Mormon in 90 days still annoys me every time.

Since we have no idea what went into producing the Book of Mormon, and we also have no way of reproducing the conditions under which it was composed, it is a thoroughly moronic challenge.
"Petition wasn’t meant to start a witch hunt as I’ve said 6000 times." ~ Hanna Seariac, LDS apologist
_just me
_Emeritus

Post by _just me »

Maksutov wrote:Looking here and there, it appears some of this is in response to a group in the Meridian area that is documented in the website, "To the Remnant", a group linked to by Rock Waterman. One of the leaders is a local chiropractor named Adrian Larsen. It will be interesting to see how this unfolds.

http://www.totheremnant.com/

Waterman provides some background:

http://puremormonism.blogspot.com/2014/ ... rnoon.html

"Apostle David Bednar has of late been concerned with how Mormonism is often wrongly perceived and misunderstood, and so last August Elder Bednar gave an address at BYU in which he encouraged individual members to flood the internet and social media, with the aim of correcting falsehoods about the church, promoting truth, and boldly testifying of Christ. This is what Adrian Larsen has been doing with his Mormon-themed blog To The Remnant since early summer: correcting falsehoods, promoting truth, and boldly testifying of Christ.

But because Adrian did so, last Sunday a high council was convened in his stake and he was expelled from our society for the sin of apostasy. So was his wife, Tausha, in a bizzare, highly unusual double-excommunication proceeding in which both were tried and sentenced together in the same proceeding. Both had been devoted members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints all their lives, yet in one afternoon representatives of that same Church officially declared them to be apostates and pariahs."

This.is.so.weird. I totally knew Adrian Larsen and his family over a decade ago.

I feel like there is something to say about Mormon chiropractors and their level of cray....
~Those who benefit from the status quo always attribute inequities to the choices of the underdog.~Ann Crittenden
~The Goddess is not separate from the world-She is the world and all things in it.~
_Cicero
_Emeritus

Post by _Cicero »

just me wrote:
Maksutov wrote:Looking here and there, it appears some of this is in response to a group in the Meridian area that is documented in the website, "To the Remnant", a group linked to by Rock Waterman. One of the leaders is a local chiropractor named Adrian Larsen. It will be interesting to see how this unfolds.

http://www.totheremnant.com/

Waterman provides some background:

http://puremormonism.blogspot.com/2014/ ... rnoon.html

"Apostle David Bednar has of late been concerned with how Mormonism is often wrongly perceived and misunderstood, and so last August Elder Bednar gave an address at BYU in which he encouraged individual members to flood the internet and social media, with the aim of correcting falsehoods about the church, promoting truth, and boldly testifying of Christ. This is what Adrian Larsen has been doing with his Mormon-themed blog To The Remnant since early summer: correcting falsehoods, promoting truth, and boldly testifying of Christ.

But because Adrian did so, last Sunday a high council was convened in his stake and he was expelled from our society for the sin of apostasy. So was his wife, Tausha, in a bizzare, highly unusual double-excommunication proceeding in which both were tried and sentenced together in the same proceeding. Both had been devoted members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints all their lives, yet in one afternoon representatives of that same Church officially declared them to be apostates and pariahs."

This.is.so.weird. I totally knew Adrian Larsen and his family over a decade ago.

I feel like there is something to say about Mormon chiropractors and their level of cray....

So . . . not to give too much credence to anecdotal evidence, but my niece and her husband are Mormon chiropractors and they are, to put it mildly, nucking futs.
_Dr. Shades
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr. Shades »

Sammy Jankins wrote:The challenge for doubters to personally produce something comparable to The Book of Mormon in 90 days still annoys me every time. . . I am also throughly unconvinced by the arguments that it had to be done in 90 days.

I'm sure any one of us could leisurely read Spalding's manuscript to a scribe in 90 days.
"Finally, for your rather strange idea that miracles are somehow linked to the amount of gay sexual gratification that is taking place would require that primitive Christianity was launched by gay sex, would it not?"

--Louis Midgley
_mentalgymnast
_Emeritus

Post by _mentalgymnast »

Kishkumen wrote:
I had the opportunity to listen to the Boise Rescue on my morning walk, and I have to say that, while impressive sounding on the surface, I found the whole thing rather disappointing. I think it is fair to say that this was the usual non-responsive show of authority and conviction we are used to seeing from the Church.

I encourage each of you anonymous internet cowards to withstand the logic, evidence, and testimony of Richard Turley, John Dehlin and Elder Oaks, John Dehlin, as they lay waste to your flimsy objections to the truth.

They frequently/wholeheartedly used the scriptures as the source/authority for their reasoned arguments. That, for some, would seem to be somewhat lackluster and/or rather 'flimsy' I suppose.

I found the reference to Strang's forged signature of Joseph Smith's to be interesting. Think of the premeditation that this fellow exercised in trying to lead away the saints KNOWING that he was a liar. The Book of Mormon has examples of apostates knowing...after they were caught in their lies...that they had been deceived and were lying, but did it anyway. One might ask WHY.

And how that might relate to Snuffer/Waterman and others here and there.

Regards,
MG
_DonBradley
_Emeritus

Post by _DonBradley »

MG,

I've yet to listen to it. What's your overall judgment?

How effective will it be in responding to criticisms from these various directions and keeping those who might otherwise accept the criticisms from actually doing so?

Don
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Post by _Kishkumen »

mentalgymnast wrote:They frequently/wholeheartedly used the scriptures as the source/authority for their reasoned arguments. That, for some, would seem to be somewhat lackluster and/or rather 'flimsy' I suppose.

Frequently and wholeheartedly, eh? So, if they use the scriptures a lot and with a lot of feeling, you are convinced. Good to know.

mentalgymnast wrote:The Book of Mormon has examples of apostates knowing...after they were caught in their lies...that they had been deceived and were lying, but did it anyway. One might ask WHY.

Because Joseph Smith wrote it?

No offense, here, mg, but my whole point is that one marvels at the lack of self awareness exhibited by these two gentlemen of the bar. When you are trying to convince others your guy is not a fraud, you show that he wasn't. You don't engage in all of these strange misdirections with a punchline about the guy who copied him but was much more ham-handed about it.

Talk about a dumb strategy.

Oh, and ending with the hymn, "Who's on the Lord Side?" was very subtle. No one could have possibly felt like that was manipulative.

They really need a new game plan if they want to do anything more than resell magazines to the same dwindling base of subscribers.
_mentalgymnast
_Emeritus

Post by _mentalgymnast »

Kishkumen wrote:
mentalgymnast wrote:They frequently/wholeheartedly used the scriptures as the source/authority for their reasoned arguments. That, for some, would seem to be somewhat lackluster and/or rather 'flimsy' I suppose.

Frequently and wholeheartedly, eh? So, if they use the scriptures a lot and with a lot of feeling, you are convinced. Good to know.

What I found interesting in their frequent use of scriptural authority for their statements in regards to apostates is that they were using simple words to explain somewhat...on its face...complex/convoluted patterns of apostate activities in the past and present. It's as if they want others to realize/see that it is something less than rocket science to fully explain what they see going on. Not many words used to state what they see as the facts. What other means would you suggest that they might have used to talk to these saints OTHER THAN using the directness of/in the 'word of God'?

It seems that this would be their modus operandi. I don't think they can really be faulted for that.

Regards,
MG