Botched Rescue in Boise

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Re: Botched Rescue in Boise

Post by _Kishkumen »

grindael wrote:And, as I recently explained here, viewtopic.php?p=894605#p894605 Oaks claims doctrinal infallibility for the leadership:

Stand fast with the leadership of the church. I heard President Hinckley in describing a revelation he had received concerning the building of small temples form which he will soon benefit in this part of the world that he did not claim perfection that there was only one perfect person who had ever lived upon this earth and even the prophets of God were not perfect. But, as the Prophet Joseph Smith said, on a great occasion, ‘there is no error in the teachings.’Spoken under the influence of the spirit of the Lord, witnessed to be true in the hearts and minds of those who have the gift of the Holy Ghost, those teachings are the Lord’s will to his people. And I testify to you that these teachings are true and that if we hold with and follow the current leadership of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter day Saints, we will stay on the path toward eternal life.

Yes, this is truly unfortunate. One of the most damning things about Rock Waterman's writings is that they do a good job of showing how far the LDS Church has departed from the revelations in the D&C, sometimes in ways that are clearly deleterious to the membership (I am thinking of tithing in particular). So, I don't believe that they can claim there is no error in the teachings. There clearly are errors in the teachings, and tithing is one striking example.
"Petition wasn’t meant to start a witch hunt as I’ve said 6000 times." ~ Hanna Seariac, LDS apologist
_ludwigm
_Emeritus

Post by _ludwigm »

Kishkumen wrote:...
There clearly are errors in the teachings, and tithing is one striking example.

Pay after your income, or pay after gain/increase... gross or net...

There is no one clear definition, the same as other word usage in Mormonism.

As no mormondoctrine.
- Whenever a poet or preacher, chief or wizard spouts gibberish, the human race spends centuries deciphering the message. - Umberto Eco
- To assert that the earth revolves around the sun is as erroneous as to claim that Jesus was not born of a virgin. - Cardinal Bellarmine at the trial of Galilei
_kairos
_Emeritus

Post by _kairos »

For those believing the linchpin to be the BOM-
Elder Oaks knocks on your door at your home and asks to speak
With you. Shaken by oaks visit, you sit as he says to u- brother MG
I regretfully inform you that all of the
Apostles Have determined that the Book of Mormon is not a historical document- we wish u and your family well !
Goodbye

Your response????
_grindael
_Emeritus

Post by _grindael »

Kishkumen wrote:
grindael wrote:And, as I recently explained here, viewtopic.php?p=894605#p894605 Oaks claims doctrinal infallibility for the leadership:

Stand fast with the leadership of the church. I heard President Hinckley in describing a revelation he had received concerning the building of small temples form which he will soon benefit in this part of the world that he did not claim perfection that there was only one perfect person who had ever lived upon this earth and even the prophets of God were not perfect. But, as the Prophet Joseph Smith said, on a great occasion, ‘there is no error in the teachings.’Spoken under the influence of the spirit of the Lord, witnessed to be true in the hearts and minds of those who have the gift of the Holy Ghost, those teachings are the Lord’s will to his people. And I testify to you that these teachings are true and that if we hold with and follow the current leadership of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter day Saints, we will stay on the path toward eternal life.

Yes, this is truly unfortunate. One of the most damning things about Rock Waterman's writings is that they do a good job of showing how far the LDS Church has departed from the revelations in the D&C, sometimes in ways that are clearly deleterious to the membership (I am thinking of tithing in particular). So, I don't believe that they can claim there is no error in the teachings. There clearly are errors in the teachings, and tithing is one striking example.

Kish, the D&C supports doctrinal infallibility:

1 Thus saith the Lord, verily, verily I say unto you my son, thy sins are forgiven thee, according to thy petition, for thy prayers and the prayers of thy brethren have come up into my ears.

2 Therefore, thou art blessed from henceforth that bear the keys of the kingdom given unto you; which kingdom is coming forth for the last time.

3 Verily I say unto you, the keys of this kingdom shall never be taken from you, while thou art in the world, neither in the world to come;

4 Nevertheless, through you shall the oracles be given to another, yea, even unto the church.

5 And all they who receive the oracles of God, let them beware how they hold them lest they are accounted as a light thing, and are brought under condemnation thereby, and stumble and fall when the storms descend, and the winds blow, and the rains descend, and beat upon their house. D&C 90
Riding on a speeding train; trapped inside a revolving door;
Lost in the riddle of a quatrain; Stuck in an elevator between floors.
One focal point in a random world can change your direction:
One step where events converge may alter your perception.
_grindael
_Emeritus

Post by _grindael »

Another statement that declares DOCTRINAL infallibility. This has been used against this concept, but it is self explanatory:

Charles W. Penrose:

Question 14: Do you believe that the President of the Church, when speaking to the Church in his official capacity is infallible?
Answer: We do not believe in the infallibility of man. When God reveals anything it is truth, and truth is infallible. No President of the Church has claimed infallibility.

Yet they have claimed that the DOCTRINES, REVELATIONS and TEACHINGS are free from ERROR. They are conflating personal infallibility with doctrinal infallibility. Again, what use is a prophet, if they cannot be trusted to actually be the one and only living Oracle of God? This is what Oaks was explaining. Mormon "prophets" are fallible, but not when they are speaking by the power of the "Holy Ghost" and exercising the keys of their office to dispense "revelation", or doctrine or teachings. They all understand the difference between speaking by the power of the "Holy Ghost" and as just a fallible man. Notice the weasel words here:

Church Newsroom wrote:Not every statement made by a Church leader, past or present, necessarily constitutes doctrine. A single statement made by a single leader on a single occasion often represents a personal, though well-considered, opinion, but is not meant to be officially binding for the whole Church. With divine inspiration, the First Presidency (the prophet and his two counselors) and the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles (the second-highest governing body of the Church) counsel together to establish doctrine that is consistently proclaimed in official Church publications. This doctrine resides in the four “standard works” of scripture (the Holy Bible, the Book of Mormon, the Doctrine and Covenants and the Pearl of Great Price), official declarations and proclamations, and the Articles of Faith. Isolated statements are often taken out of context, leaving their original meaning distorted.

Truth is truth and has nothing to do with whether it is "binding". They are trying to claim that when someone quotes a former leader that automatically they are "distorting" their statements. This is pure BS. FAIRMORMON agrees that "...the First Presidency ... now approves all statements published on the Church's official website" http://en.fairmormon.org/Mormonism_and_ ... eknowledge So if it is there, it is official church doctrine to them.
Riding on a speeding train; trapped inside a revolving door;
Lost in the riddle of a quatrain; Stuck in an elevator between floors.
One focal point in a random world can change your direction:
One step where events converge may alter your perception.
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

Maksutov wrote: Did they consider the Swedish Rescue a success?

It did help legitimatize the creation of Smorgasbord Mormonism.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace