Right on Target!

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Gadianton
_Emeritus

Re: Right on Target!

Post by _Gadianton »

Scorndog wrote:Gaddianton, Bertrand would have been dismayed by your vacuous treatment of the issue.

Hello there Waterdog, I mean, Scorndog. Without Symmachus's professional weigh-in, my guess on a multiple choice test would be something along the lines of sheer accident, which seems to me about what he's arguing. Really, we're in Bible Code/Intelligent Design country right now.

The ways a Bible fanatic creatively adapts scripture to new ends should go well beyond copying syntax precisely. The poetry and feel of words as they're spoken with fundamentalistic exaggeration surely can be transmitted to new ends with grammatical investment overlooked. The problem is that my offering is subject to the very same criticism of a single example, and method that could take a few liberties, and as-is, almost certainly an accident. But I doubt it's worse than the typical fare of apologetic complexity arguments all of which are infested with this same problem.

By the way, as I wrote the paragraph above I kid you not, but my vision blurred and my skin crawled and it took a moment for my brain to sort out the fact that while my eyes were glued to the screen, a giant spider was lowering itself from the ceiling within an inch of my glasses. What are the odds? Especially while engaged in a conversation about odds. Now, if every time I argued with an apologist about complexity, a spider lowered itself in front of my glasses, I'd go through a real crisis.

Kishcumen, your praise of empty argumentation is what the apologist is often criticized for.

hmmm.....

hmmmmmmm.....

For the Alf response, it's interesting that the Late War also controlled for KJV n-grams. But that didn't seem to strengthen its position for any of the apologists. Why would you compare professional translators to a backyard hick anyway? What would be more interesting is if hicks in the 1700s made similar mistakes to Smith.

Your Symmachus reaction overall has been really interesting. The sheer conviction with which the apologists are taking this weird study done by a single individual to the ends of the internet blows my mind. As I understand it, he worked in a complete vacuum with no peer oversight and these were his terms. What kind of scrutiny has it undergone since its publication?

I understand Peterson unveiling the study to the rubes who read the Deseret News. I even understand pulling the study out as a weapon of last resort against a guy like Jenson, because it's so far outside his world, how can he possibly have an answer to it? But gosh, here Symmachus has been revealing his hand with just how much he knows about words and crap, and I think we're all a little bit scared of him now. If I were an apologist, I think the last thing I'd do is walk up to Symmachus and call him out -- "hey buddy, you think you know so much about words, how about you explain this case of but if? Huh? Not so smart now, are ya?"

What is fascinating about this episode that I will in the future refer to as "the confrontation of Symmachus" is that it is strong evidence in favor of apologists believing their arguments. There is very little way to explain your abrupt challenge to the young scholar other than you really thought you had him owned.
Lou Midgley 08/20/2020: "...meat wad," and "cockroach" are pithy descriptions of human beings used by gemli? They were not fashioned by Professor Peterson.

LM 11/23/2018: one can explain away the soul of human beings...as...a Meat Unit, to use Professor Peterson's clever derogatory description of gemli's ideology.
_Alf O'Mega
_Emeritus

Post by _Alf O'Mega »

scorndog wrote:Alf, the 1877 quote actually strengthens the OED's position (and therefore Skousen's position) because the KJB could have used "but if" in several cases but it didn't.

An 1877 citation of a particular construction "actually strengthens" the proposition that the construction was obsolete nearly three centuries earlier? What kind of citation would it take to weaken that proposition?

And why didn't the translators opt for "but if" = 'unless' at least once? Apparently the usage was deemed to be archaic, perhaps even nearing obsolescence, by the translation committees prior to 1611.

Language is lumpy. A usage that has fallen out of favor in one region may hang on in another. That's why there are dialects and regionalisms. (Am I typing slow enough for you?)

Also, it is usually difficult to prove wrong the OED's pronouncements. Lexicographical research is required.

You mean, like, finding new citations of a usage?

One must be a harmless drudge. Yes, it can be done in certain instances, but it is almost always not a simple matter.

Disproving an unjustified generalization (e.g., "The 'unless' sense of 'but if' went extinct about 1596.") is simplicity itself: find a counter-example.
_canpakes
_Emeritus

Post by _canpakes »

scorndog wrote: I'm afraid I cannot invest much time, or perhaps any more time on this discussion.

Of course not. How could you invest any more time into this discussion? You've completely run out of steam.

If you cannot answer the simple question below, how on earth can - or why on earth would - anyone take your claim seriously?

the question wrote:You have never explained how language that existed relatively recently prior to Smith and that you term anachronisms have been proven to have absolutely not existed in use within any local area of Smith's habitation, nor spoken by anyone Smith had ever encountered, nor present in any material that Smith had ever read - in other words, how these anachronisms were simply wiped clean from the palette of exposure options... even as we know of their existence today and see their occasional use. Can you explain how you know this?
_Symmachus
_Emeritus

Post by _Symmachus »

Getting back to Gidgiddoni, two things I noticed:

1. Stumpy Pepys has made a list of ingredients in the name-cabinet used Joseph Smith for his Gidgiddoni salad, and there are some other Biblical candidates that no less authoritative a source than BYU's Book of Mormon Onomasticon suggests as points of comparison:

Someone at BYU wrote:GIDGIDDONI and GIDGIDDONAH may somehow be derived from or related to biblical Gidgad/Gudgodah (Judges 20:45, Deuteronomy 10:7), and perhaps to Hor-hagidgad “Hollow of Gidgad” (Numbers 33:32-33), which may be the same location as Arabic Wadi Ghadhaghedh.

There is also "Gideoni" at Numbers 1:11, which an Ancient Mormon Document Scholar adduced (see below).

It's impossible to establish definitively where Book of Mormon names come from on a systematic level. It's a question of degrees of plausibility. The apologetic case is based on a subjective choice to attribute maximum significance to anything in the Ancient Near East (or Elizabethan poetry), no matter how ridiculous or anachronistic or linguistically improbable, and minimum significance to anything in the very environment in which the text was produced.

The one piece of systematically reliable linguistic evidence that Gee cites for his case (the Canaanite vowel shift) turns out to more fanciful than real. Beyond that, it's a choice to attribute significance. In making our choice, I would ask: why are these names, readily available to Joseph Smith, less plausible as sources for "Gidgiddoni" than some obscure name in some files of the Assyrian bureaucracy?

2. John Gee, it seems, was preceded in this etymology by the eminent Dr. Einar C. Erickson, self-styled "Ancient Document Mormon Scholar."

Einar the Ancient Document Mormon Scholar wrote:All of the above that has been discussed about GID and the GD element names applies as well to GIDGIDDONI. Like the similar name in the Akkadian Dictionary GIDDAGIDDU, it has the double or repeating core element. The DU suffix ending is OLD Akkadian, appearing to mean "to, into, enfold," "belonging," (Black p. 61). The Akkadian source indicates that behind the name is a Sumerian link, (Black p. 92), which may account for the suffix ending of DU or U. The ancient name seems to indicate some impairment with vision, the ancient Sumerian meaning may have been close to 'not seeing God clearly' or 'try to see God clearly.' Variants of the double usage is found in other Akkadian names such as GIDGIDDANU, GIDGIDANUM GIDGIDAANI, GIDGIDDANI, GIDGIDDAANU, GIDGIDA, GIDGIDAA, and in sources other than the Akkadian Dictionary; such as EBLA, (Pagan p. 311) where it means "good," the names and double elements were carried down through several generations of languages such as Assyrian and Neo-Assyrian, (Radner p. 422) In Akkadian there is no O in their alphabet, none of those names have an O, but a lot of A's and I's. The Adamic language apparently had O's. In every particular, Joseph got it right, he could have made some serious errors and mistakes in this area of names in the Book of Mormon.

The suffix -NI is a Hebrew element frequently found in WEST SEMITIC names, such as Akkadian. It represents the first person singular verbal suffix and is present in eight Book of Mormon names. (Coogan p. 109)

As languages changed the frequency of doubling of elements decreased; the name GIDGIDONI became just GIDONI or GIDEONI (which is just GIDEON with an ancient suffix ONI likely representing one of the gods. Centuries later after the conquest of Canaan by the Israelites, the tribe of Benjamin had a member whose name was GIDEONI, the name meaning 'warlike,' (Numbers l:11; Mandel p. 175), retaining some aspect of the violence originally associated with the name in antiquity.

I've probably taxed my welcome here and bored people enough with minute details, so I won't waste anyone's time sifting through this quackery. I think it's more perceptible than Gee's, though, and I call your attention to this only to show that the point of difference between Einar's conclusions and methodology and Gee's is microscopic. In fact the chief difference between them, on this issue anyway, is that Gee is able to make his argument appear academically respectable, whereas Dr. Erickson is plainly in the realm of crank.
"As to any slivers of light or any particles of darkness of the past, we forget about them."

—B. Redd McConkie
_Res Ipsa
_Emeritus

Post by _Res Ipsa »

This was the most adept defenestration of an apologist that I have ever seen. If Cassius University does not offer a tenured position based on this thread alone, I will be very disappointed.
​“The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated communist, but people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists.”

― Hannah Arendt, The Origins of Totalitarianism, 1951
_Chap
_Emeritus

Post by _Chap »

Symmachus wrote:I've probably taxed my welcome here and bored people enough with minute details, so I won't waste anyone's time sifting through this quackery.

NO!!!!!

Go on ... please ... for some of us, this is Fifty Shades of Symmachus!

We love it.
Zadok:
I did not have a faith crisis. I discovered that the Church was having a truth crisis.
Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.
_consiglieri
_Emeritus

Post by _consiglieri »

Symmachus wrote:2. John Gee, it seems, was preceded in this etymology by the eminent Dr. Einar C. Erickson, self-styled "Ancient Document Mormon Scholar."

Bested by Einar Erickson?

That's gotta hurt.
You prove yourself of the devil and anti-mormon every word you utter, because only the devil perverts facts to make their case.--ldsfaqs (6-24-13)
_SteelHead
_Emeritus

Post by _SteelHead »

http://www.mormoninterpreter.com/the-im ... of-mormon/

Is it just me, or does the use of these types of arguments really mean anything? I read it and say "just as well explained by a preference of Joseph Smith's (saw the structure, decided it gave a writing the ole timey feel, and decided to stick with it), and doesn't make any kind of argument for increased Book of Mormon plausibility, especially in the face of other problems.... Do these types of studies really mean anything? "Writers can not manufacture out of thin air vanished forms (from the article linked)"... problem being it wasn't vanished. there were archetype to copy available in existing literature eg, Bible, late war, revolutionary war as scripture... The Book of Mormon was translated in the 16th century by committee... really? Groan.
It is better to be a warrior in a garden, than a gardener at war.

Some of us, on the other hand, actually prefer a religion that includes some type of correlation with reality.
~Bill Hamblin
_Res Ipsa
_Emeritus

Post by _Res Ipsa »

SteelHead wrote:http://www.mormoninterpreter.com/the-implications-of-past-tense-syntax-in-the-book-of-mormon/

Is it just me, or does the use of these types of arguments really mean anything? I read it and say "just as well explained by a preference of Joseph Smith's (saw the structure, decided it gave a writing the ole timey feel, and decided to stick with it), and doesn't make any kind of argument for increased Book of Mormon plausibility, especially in the face of other problems.... Do these types of studies really mean anything? "Writers can not manufacture out of thin air vanished forms (from the article linked)"... problem being it wasn't vanished. there were archetype to copy available in existing literature eg, Bible, late war, revolutionary war as scripture... The Book of Mormon was translated in the 16th century by committee... really? Groan.

This is the problem with mining for patterns within a text. If the author had formulated a hypothesis that these specific patterns had appeared in the text, with an explanatory mechanism for why they should appear there, then finding the patters in confirmation of the hypothesis might have some meaning. But, if the text is dissected for patterns, the relevant odds are not of finding the specific pattern that was found, but of finding any pattern at all in the text. The odds of that approach 100%. Dean Robbers said it more distinctly: this is Bible Code stuff.
​“The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated communist, but people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists.”

― Hannah Arendt, The Origins of Totalitarianism, 1951
_SteelHead
_Emeritus

Post by _SteelHead »

Well the implications section.... when the answer is "magic", we can make the implications anything. How bout-> hence we deduce that true adamic, the language spoken by God himself, is 16th century english, as evidenced by its use in the Book of Mormon.
It is better to be a warrior in a garden, than a gardener at war.

Some of us, on the other hand, actually prefer a religion that includes some type of correlation with reality.
~Bill Hamblin