A Divine Origin of the Columbia Chess Chronicle, 1888

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Symmachus
_Emeritus

A Divine Origin of the Columbia Chess Chronicle, 1888

Post by _Symmachus »

Greetings all,

A recent Interpreter article on affirmative past tense syntax in the Book of Mormon has been brought to my intention by the unstainable SteelHead. I have perused it, and despite some methodological misgivings and its questionable interpretation of data, I am impressed.

This article shows how one particular syntactical feature—using "did" as an auxiliary to form a past tense (e.g. "they did wander")—occurs with such high frequency in the Book of Mormon and such low frequency elsewhere, that it must be meaningful. More than that, it is a syntactic construction whose heyday was centuries before Joseph Smith, and thus it would have been, as one scornful dog has barked, "naturalistically inaccessible." The implication is this:

We have seen that some who intentionally tried to follow King James English in their writings did not match 16c adp did usage. Their efforts do not positively correlate with that stage of English: Snowden’s The American Revolution, Hunt’s The Late War, and Ethan Smith’s View of the Hebrews ended up well off the mark. Sixteenth-century texts were not readily available in the 1820s as they became later in the 19c. As a result, the access to the relevant texts was extremely limited in the 1820s, especially to someone living away from populated eastern cities with research libraries. And the 16c printed books containing the heavy use of this syntax were still largely to be found only in British libraries. So a compelling position — on account of the lack of any specific, credible evidence to the contrary — is that the words of the Book of Mormon were revealed to Joseph Smith through the instrument, that they came from a divine source.

Despite the somewhat convoluted syntax of this syntactician's concluding sentence, I think the gist is clear: the presence of this syntactic pattern is a sure sign of the Lord's handiwork. And it came to pass that Brother Carmack did do well.

And then it came to pass that it did occur to me: we Latter-day Saints are commanded to seek words of wisdom, by study and by faith out of the best books (cf. D &C 88:118 or thereabouts). But how, I wondered, can we determine what the best books are?

This brilliant work, proving that God first acquired fluent acquaintance with the English tongue in about the late 16th century or so, I think points the way. For, if any occurrence of this syntactic pattern after the early 18th century (when this syntactic pattern disappeared, according to the paper) is a sign of a "divine source," then perhaps any text that has this pattern also has that same divine source.

It so happens, my friends, that I have chanced upon such a text—one of those best books, I think, out of which I now encourage all of you diligently to seek words of wisdom, even by study and by faith or their nearest reasonably accessible equivalents. What is this book? It is an issue of the Columbia Chess Chronicle ("The Only Weekly Paper in America Devoted Entirely to Chess"), from the week of January 15, 1888.

From this issue, we no doubt learn some of the Lord's choice chess openings and end games, and characteristic of the popular magazines of the era, it is full of a variety of diversions and delights, from poetry to stories. I believe there may also be a revelation from God within its pages, or at least words of wisdom. On pp. 215-16, we read the account of the Ye Ancient Chronicles of the Land of Gotham. That is, of course, New York, which, as you know, is a possible candidate for some of the Book of Mormon's more serious carnage. It recounts the origins of New York's chess clubs, and the sad and ancient feud that separated them. Note also that this is a chess, where the war between the delightsome forces of white and the forces of black is the name of the game (when the name of that game is not "chess"), which, as Nibley has pointed out, is one of the great themes of Jaredite history, as it was also of Nephite history. These are matters of deep import.

It is only two pages in this issue, but what strikes the alert reader is not merely the archaic, Elizabethan era spellings (e.g. "mightie"), nor the Hebraisms ("I have bought me" rather than "I have bought myself," as well as parallelisms and ring composition), nor the repetition of "it came to pass" (also a Hebraisms, no doubt), but above all the unlikely high frequency of past-tense affirmative syntax with "did." This is a marker of the Elizabethan London dialect of English that the Lord speaks.

Now, what has led Carmack to the conclusion that the Book of Mormon is in the Lord's dialect of English is the text's high frequency of such syntax: 27% of all past-tense narrative verbs employ the "did" form of the past tense in the Book of Mormon, as compared to only 2% in the KJB. Other sources, such as View of the Hebrews, are insignificant. Thus, this archaic 16th century feature, which Carmack assures us could not have been detected by Joseph Smith, although it does occur in the KJB, is a marker of a divine source.

I followed Carmack's strictures for the most part, omitting past tense of "to be" and passive forms, neither of which can take a "did" form. In Ye Ancient Chronicles of Gotham, there are roughly 67 past-tense narrative verbs along these lines, and of those I have detected 33 examples of affirmative past-tense syntax with "did." That is an astonishing 49%!

The objection might be raised that Ye Ancient Chronicles of Gotham are post-Book of Mormon, and at a time when 16th century texts were more widely available. Yet, any theory that posits that the Book of Mormon is responsible for this must surmount some insurmountable problems. For one thing, the Book of Mormon was a text of an extremely unpopular religious sect at the time (this is 1888), and for another it was a text that was not even widely read by that sect until the mid 20th century, much less among the wider American public. And there is no evidence of the Book of Mormon's influence within the pages of this or any other obtainable issue of the Columbia Chess Chronicle. Moreover, this feature of syntax was undetected even in the Bible until a Swedish linguist in the 20th century discovered it, and it was not known to be a feature of the Book of Mormon until Brother Carmack's work just this year. So, if the writer(s) of this story were so deeply influenced by the Book of Mormon that they detected within it an extremely archaic feature of English syntax that was not otherwise detected in that book until 2015, then why doesn't this influence appear elsewhere?

Finally, it is possible that some will have noticed that the Book of Mormon's 27% is higher than the KJB's 2%, and this wide range difference suggests to Carmack that Joseph Smith could not have appropriated this particular syntactic feature from the KJB. But notice too that 49% is higher than 27%, and thus by the same reasoning we can be assured that the writer of the Ye Ancient Chronicles of Gotham got hold of this archaic syntactic feature neither from the KJB nor the Book of Mormon, and certainly not from View of the Hebrews or the works of James Fenimore Cooper.

So, to invoke the reasoning of Brother Carmack: a compelling position—on account of the lack of any specific, credible evidence to the contrary (argumentum e silentio)—is that the words of Ye Ancient Chronicles of Gotham were revealed to the editors of the Columbia Chess Chronicle through the instrument, that they came from a divine source.
"As to any slivers of light or any particles of darkness of the past, we forget about them."

—B. Redd McConkie
_Symmachus
_Emeritus

Re: A Divine Origin of the Columbia Chess Chronicle, 1888

Post by _Symmachus »

YE ANCIENT CHRONICLES OF THE LAND OF GOTHAM

Chapter 1

Here begin the chronicles of the land of Gotham, and more especially those of the COLUMBIA CHESS CLUB, which is within the borders of that land. And it came to pass in the latter days when von Frankenberg ruled the people of that land, that the dwellers began to be divided into clans. In those days certain men of Gotham assembled themselves together and addressed each other, saying: Go to now, let us be great and superior. And they did so. Henceforth arose the tribe of New Yorks. They did get themselves up, saying: We only are great, and besides us there is none other. And besides them there was no other; therefore they were great. This clan, in their high and mightie rule, did drink a certain nectar, which was pleasant to the taste, and which they did call "corphee." Among this clan was one named Hellwitts, who kicked at the small portion of the nectar allowed to him for one piece of silver, and he did emigrate a few blocks down the Bowery with a few followers. Such was the manner of these things. And so it was that when the New Yorks had waxed exceedingly great, and were exalted high above common men, that an exodus did take place, and soon there rose a clan who said among themselves: Wherefore now are these become mightier than we ? Have we not wealth, fine raiment and many possessions? Verily, the New Yorks are an abomination in our eyes. Let us make ourselves likewise Superior. And they did so. And they called themselves the Manhattans, and these were exalted even yet more than the high and mightie New Yorks. Likewise, there were also many lesser clans of small importance, and many of these, for lack of support, did wane away and disappeared from off the face of the earth, and their names were Metropolitan and Jeffersonian. And before these had passed away there arose the FAR-FAMED CLAN of THE COLUMBIA CHESS CLUB, whose name has gone abroad into all the ends of the earth, even unto this day. And this clan did refuse to bow down to the golden images which the other clans had set up ; for they said: Go to now, we also are noble and proud, and we will not be abased unto these.

Chapter 2

And the manner of all these things was this wise . A great gathering of all the clans of the earth, called a congress, was planned by the New Yorks, and a few chosen men were sent out to gather the clans and the shekels, and see to all things that were meet and proper for the feast. And they did so. Meanwhile it came to pass that great trouble arose in the New York clan between the Chief Captain and the High Priest. Now, this High Priest of whom I spake was an exceeding good and righteous ER II man, and greatest of all his brethren in the land and on the face of the earth. Wherefore did he exert himself mightilie in behalf of righteousness; and when it came to pass that the Chief Captain did go abroad and levy tribute from his fellow man, and returned with twenty pieces of silver, the High Priest did hold up his hands in holy horror, and did cry: Evil doer! Evil doer! Now straightway did the Chief Captain assemble the clan in the Temple when he heard this cry, and he did say to the multitudes gathered in the Temple: "Wherefore should I levy tribute on the highways when I have bought me a house for ten thousand dollars? What need have I for twenty pieces of silver—twenty paltry pieces of the filthy lucre ?"

And a great tumult arose. The Chief Captain did gather about him his trusty friends and did say to them: "We must banish this High Priest from the Temple; his sermons on Personal and General are loathsome to me and to you, and we must banish him, and the people must white wash me of its false accusations." Now it so happened that many of the followers of the Chief Captain did say that these things concern not the people of the Temple, and several wise men did say "that evil must come of this whitewash business, for the people will be divided against each other, and the Temple will fall." But the Chief Captain and his followers did not heed the words of wisdom. And it came to pass that among the wise men were the chosen few who were gathering the clans for the congress, and the Chief Captain and his trusty followers did wax exceeding wroth, and in their madness they did say: "We will also banish the chosen few from out the Temple." And now it came to pass that when the multitudes were assembled in the Temple the people were equally divided, and the Chief Captain and his trusty followers did put their heads together, which was after the custom of those days, and he did say to them : "It looketh not as if we can banish the High Priest from the Temple, for his followers are many and they mean business, which, being interpreted, means nonsense." And so they did select one from among their number to go among the wise men and say to them: "Vote to banish the the High Priest and we will vote to keep the chosen few in the congress." But the wise men did not look with favor upon the dark ways of the Chief Captain and his trusty followers, albeit they did fear the division of the people, and so they did reply to the messenger, saying: "Verily now we say unto you that we will not give our consent to banish the High Priest, for we know not but that he spake the truth against the Chief Captain. Howbeit, we will keep silent if the Chief Captain and his trusty followers will stand up for the chosen few and the congress, that the people may not be divided against each other and that happiness may dwell in the land." And the messenger did retire. And so the covenant was made. Now it came to pass that when the vote was taken the Chief Captain and his trusty followers did destroy the covenant, and they did banish the High Priest and the chosen few, and they did cry " Bully! Bully!" And they did so.

Chapter 3

But now did the words of the wise men smote upon the ears of the people: "The people will be divided against each other and the Temple will fall." And the moon went down. And that night the wise men did depart with the chosen few from the Temple, because the people did bow down and worship false idols. Now, shortly after the events which have been told in the preceding verses the wise men and the chosen few did gather their followers, and they did wander many days and soon came to the happy land. And they did make themselves a house of finely-wrought stone— even of polished stone did they make it. And there was said to be stored within their house, which they had builded them, many treasures of untold value, whose like had never been seen before in the land of Gotham. And henceforth the far-famed clan of the Columbia Chess Club became the rulers of the land. Such were the doings of these people, as it has been written in the First Book of Chronicles. The Columbias are happy to this day, and the New Yorks are wanderers on the face of the earth. And as to the end of these things no man knoweth.

Past tense narrative verbs, excluding "to be" and passives: approximately 67
Past tense affirmative: exactly 33
"As to any slivers of light or any particles of darkness of the past, we forget about them."

—B. Redd McConkie
_SteelHead
_Emeritus

Post by _SteelHead »

Am I alone in thinking, that as soon as you attribute the oddity to a divine source, any and every implication could result? That the implications derived from the study do not follow out of the data, as when divinity is invoked, any implication could be forwarded?
It is better to be a warrior in a garden, than a gardener at war.

Some of us, on the other hand, actually prefer a religion that includes some type of correlation with reality.
~Bill Hamblin
_Symmachus
_Emeritus

Post by _Symmachus »

SteelHead wrote:Am I alone in thinking, that as soon as you attribute the oddity to a divine source, any and every implication could result? That the implications derived from the study do not follow out of the data, as when divinity is invoked, any implication could be forwarded?

—B. Redd McConkie
_SteelHead
_Emeritus

Post by _SteelHead »

lol. Forgive me my melodrama.
It is better to be a warrior in a garden, than a gardener at war.

Some of us, on the other hand, actually prefer a religion that includes some type of correlation with reality.
~Bill Hamblin
_Lemmie
_Emeritus

Post by _Lemmie »

In light of a recent discussion regarding an MD&D thread of great import wherein Carmack's statistical and linguistic work has been found sorely wanting, (see http://mormondiscussions.com/phpBB3/vie ... 4#p1134464 ) this thread by the venerable Symmachus surely deserves a bump.
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Post by _Kishkumen »

Wow! The latter days are just bursting with sacred scriptures! They’re coming to light every couple of years now! And here I haven’t yet digested the divine nuggets of The Late War! Now I have even more wisdom to ponderize at Ponderosa!
"Petition wasn’t meant to start a witch hunt as I’ve said 6000 times." ~ Hanna Seariac, LDS apologist
_Philo Sofee
_Emeritus

Post by _Philo Sofee »

Astounding, the lengths they will go to to just make anything and everything of divine origin..... and yet, that is what some forms of Buddhism will do as well. After all, the origin of consciousness itself is from the universal consciousness, of which we are all a part some of them say. Alan Watts was onto this in some creative ways, I must say. I rather enjoy reading him.
Dr CamNC4Me
"Dr. Peterson and his Callithumpian cabal of BYU idiots have been marginalized by their own inevitable irrelevancy defending a fraud."
_Johannes
_Emeritus

Post by _Johannes »

GOod work, Symmachus.

It seems likely that unusual forms which are found in dialect X will tend to be over-used in any imitation of dialect X. It's like how Morton Smith overused genuine Clementine linguistic forms in the Secret Gospel of Mark (the dialect being an idiolect in that case). If M. Smith made that mistake with ivy league resources available to him, what chance did J. Smith have?
_Lemmie
_Emeritus

Post by _Lemmie »

Johannes wrote:GOod work, Symmachus.

It seems likely that unusual forms which are found in dialect X will tend to be over-used in any imitation of dialect X. It's like how Morton Smith overused genuine Clementine linguistic forms in the Secret Gospel of Mark (the dialect being an idiolect in that case). If M. Smith made that mistake with ivy league resources available to him, what chance did J. Smith have?

And now Carmack has carried forward exactly the same error! What are the odds?

My objection to Carmack's work is in part based on his misinterpretation of exactly the statistical evidence that 'the over-use in an imitation', as you put it, would generate. From the thread I referenced:
Lemmie wrote:...For example, Carmack will find that a single word or phrase is used in a statistical manner just on the outskirts of typical statistical pseudo-biblical usage, which he will define, therefore, as NOT representing such language. With far less emphasis he will admit that the Book of Mormon usage does not actually match Early Modern English either (and in fact if you look at his data, buried in the footnotes or elsewhere, it is further away statistically from Early Modern English than it is from pseudo-biblical) but then he will give a justification such as 'Joseph Smith intended to emphasize'....etc., and then conclude that the single word or phrase usage conclusively represents Early Modern English language....

Symmachus was kind enough to provide the linguistics background explaining the source of Carmack's error, in which he also provided a link to this utterly delightful thread we are on:
Lemmie wrote:
Symmachus wrote:When a document purporting to be ancient overdoes the archaisms...that's usually a sign that it's a fake.
That certainly explains why so many of his "matches" statistically occur in the upper range of the variance spread. He is reading variance as an absolute value, without realizing that there are different interpretations to the upper and lower bounds.

Ironically, the more matches he finds like that, the more his work supports the [Book of Mormon] fraud theory.

Who would have thought that Carmack's research would generate such conclusive evidence of the Book of Mormon lack of historicity? Between that and his part in the inadvertent triggering of the 15th century ghost committee debacle, he is surely in danger of having his Mopologist card revoked.