Mormon Bishop pleads guilty to having sex with teenager.

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_LDSToronto
_Emeritus

Re: Mormon Bishop pleads guilty to having sex with teenager.

Post by _LDSToronto »

And finally, in LDS Toronto's series on "How to use google to fake being a lawyer in Utah", there is this Title 76, Section 404.1 - Sexual abuse of a child:
http://le.utah.gov/~code/TITLE76/htm/76_05_040401.htm

Which states -

76-5-404.1. Sexual abuse of a child -- Aggravated sexual abuse of a child.
(1) As used in this section:
(a) "Adult" means an individual 18 years of age or older.
(b) "Child" means an individual under the age of 14.
(c) "Position of special trust" means:
(i) an adoptive parent;
(xix) a teacher or any other person employed by or volunteering at a public or private elementary school or secondary school, and who is 18 years of age or older;

H.
"Others cannot endure their own littleness unless they can translate it into meaningfulness on the largest possible level."
~ Ernest Becker
"Whether you think of it as heavenly or as earthly, if you love life immortality is no consolation for death."
~ Simone de Beauvoir
_just me
_Emeritus

Post by _just me »

Thanks, bb. As we can see this guy is a terrible criminal. He knew what he was doing was illegal, unethical, abusive and against his religious beliefs.

He'll probably serve 7-10 years for rape and forever be on the sex offender registry.
~Those who benefit from the status quo always attribute inequities to the choices of the underdog.~Ann Crittenden
~The Goddess is not separate from the world-She is the world and all things in it.~
_EAllusion
_Emeritus

Post by _EAllusion »

So, to retract my earlier comment, the way he abused his authority is criminal in Utah. That appears to be all there is to it. Life in prison is way over the line as a response to this type of crime. It's shocking to me that this can get you put in prison for life. Though I shouldn't be too surprised. If the US does one thing well, it's put people in prison and keep them there.
_LDSToronto
_Emeritus

Post by _LDSToronto »

EAllusion wrote:So, to retract my earlier comment, the way he abused his authority is criminal in Utah. That appears to be all there is to it. Life in prison is way over the line as a response to this type of crime. It's shocking to me that this can get you put in prison for life. Though I shouldn't be too surprised. If the US does one thing well, it's put people in prison and keep them there.

This bishop and high school teacher used his religious and positional authority to coerce a 17 year old student and parishioner to have sex with him. Under Utah law, this invalidates her ability to give consent because the power dynamic puts the victim in a position of helplessness.

H.
"Others cannot endure their own littleness unless they can translate it into meaningfulness on the largest possible level."
~ Ernest Becker
"Whether you think of it as heavenly or as earthly, if you love life immortality is no consolation for death."
~ Simone de Beauvoir
_EAllusion
_Emeritus

Post by _EAllusion »

LDSToronto wrote:
EAllusion wrote:So, to retract my earlier comment, the way he abused his authority is criminal in Utah. That appears to be all there is to it. Life in prison is way over the line as a response to this type of crime. It's shocking to me that this can get you put in prison for life. Though I shouldn't be too surprised. If the US does one thing well, it's put people in prison and keep them there.

This bishop and high school teacher used his religious and positional authority to coerce a 17 year old student and parishioner to have sex with him. Under Utah law, this invalidates her ability to give consent because the power dynamic puts the victim in a position of helplessness.

H.

I understand that. My complaint is with a life in prison term for it.
_LDSToronto
_Emeritus

Post by _LDSToronto »

I happen to think society ought never forgive to forgive rapists. H.
~ Ernest Becker
~ Simone de Beauvoir
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

EAllusion wrote:Life in prison seems like a way over the top penalty for carrying on a sexual relationship with a 17 year old. The way in which he abused his authority, while contemptible, isn't criminal.

This is basically sexual assault on a minor child by a person in a position of trust. What would you consider a reasonable sentence?
Failure is not falling down but refusing to get up.
Chinese Proverb
_EAllusion
_Emeritus

Post by _EAllusion »

Jersey Girl wrote:This is basically sexual assault on a minor child by a person in a position of trust. What would you consider a reasonable sentence?
Loss of teaching license. 0-2 years in prison based on the particulars with 2-10 years probation and mandated counseling.
_sunstoned
_Emeritus

Post by _sunstoned »

LDSToronto wrote:This bishop and high school teacher used his religious and positional authority to coerce a 17 year old student and parishioner to have sex with him. Under Utah law, this invalidates her ability to give consent because the power dynamic puts the victim in a position of helplessness.

I was just thinking, Utah law would not be kind to Joseph Smith.
_sock puppet
_Emeritus

Post by _sock puppet »

LDSToronto wrote:

H.

EAllusion wrote:I understand that. My complaint is with a life in prison term for it.

Has Donny Bills already been handed down from the judge a sentence of life in prison? "Up to" means the judge, who hears much more of the circumstances than we will, can impose life or a lesser term. I thought Bills had just been charged and plead out on some charges to get the other 10 dropped. I did not know he'd already been sentenced to life.