From: Church Discontinues Saturday Evening Conference Session

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Sledge
Area Authority

Re: Church discontinues Saturday Evening Conference Sessions

Post by Sledge »

Mixman76 wrote: I hold a particular distain for the organization that mentally abused me for over 40 years so I’ll single them out as much as I damn well please. If it offends its members, that’s ok with me. As for other faiths, I personally believe they are also troublesome and cause more harm than good. But I’ll save my wrath for the Utah based corporation.
Mentally abused? What are you talking about? Are you suggesting all 15 million members are mentally abused? Or even the (maybe) 5 or 6 million active members? They're all mentally abused? Please explain.
And you’ve called me stupid twice, thanks, much appreciated.
I haven't called you stupid, I don't know you. I've called the initialism you are using stupid ("TSCC").
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Sledge wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 12:38 am
Mixman76 wrote: I hold a particular distain for the organization that mentally abused me for over 40 years so I’ll single them out as much as I damn well please. If it offends its members, that’s ok with me. As for other faiths, I personally believe they are also troublesome and cause more harm than good. But I’ll save my wrath for the Utah based corporation.
Mentally abused? What are you talking about? Are you suggesting all 15 million members are mentally abused? Or even the (maybe) 5 or 6 million active members? They're all mentally abused? Please explain.
I haven't called you stupid, I don't know you. I've called the initialism you are using stupid ("TSCC").
And when a shark brushed up against me, it was smooth as silk.
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Mixman76
Nursery

Post by Mixman76 »

Sledge wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 12:38 am
I don’t think I know you well enough to spill my story if abuse. I save that for my therapist. But yes I do believe the teachings of the church are abusive, and I’m definitely not the only one who has had that experience.
Sledge
Area Authority

Post by Sledge »

Mixman76 wrote:
I don’t think I know you well enough to spill my story if abuse. I save that for my therapist. But yes I do believe the teachings of the church are abusive, and I’m definitely not the only one who has had that experience.
You were abused by a person. A terrible person. I can sympathize with that.
Mixman76
Nursery

Post by Mixman76 »

Sledge wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 1:46 am
Mixman76 wrote:
You were abused by a person. A terrible person. I can sympathize with that.
While I appreciate your attempt at empathy, you have no idea what I’ve gone through or what the situation is. The teaching of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints were abusive in my life. These teachings were perpetrated by ordained leaders of this organization and they not only represented that organization but supposedly God himself. Don’t tell me that’s not taught by this organization because it is. And I’m done talking with you.
Sledge
Area Authority

Post by Sledge »

Mixman76 wrote:
While I appreciate your attempt at empathy, you have no idea what I’ve gone through or what the situation is. The teaching of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints were abusive in my life. These teachings were perpetrated by ordained leaders of this organization and they not only represented that organization but supposedly God himself. Don’t tell me that’s not taught by this organization because it is. And I’m done talking with you.
I don't empathize with you. I can't. That's why I said sympathize.

I believe you and sympathize with you about some people being abusive toward you. No one deserves that.

The church, however, does not teach abuse. It's unfortunate that you had a bad experience with some people who were members, but that isn't Mormonism.
Mixman76
Nursery

Post by Mixman76 »

Sledge wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 2:34 am
Mixman76 wrote:
I don't empathize with you. I can't. That's why I said sympathize.

I believe you and sympathize with you about some people being abusive toward you. No one deserves that.

The church, however, does not teach abuse. It's unfortunate that you had a bad experience with some people who were members, but that isn't Mormonism.
You’re not a very nice person online. Just saying. Seems like semantics are more important to you than human beings. The law of chastity and the bishopric interviews associated with them are abuse. Teaching teenagers that they are unworthy and making them repeat in every detail what they have done is abuse. Having them write these sins out in letter form for the leaders to keep in a folder for who knows how long is abuse. President Kimball telling you that it is better to be dead than to have lost your virtue is abuse. Telling young people from the pulpit and in church publications that masturbation leads to homosexuality is abuse. And calling homosexuals vile and part of Satan’s plan is abuse. And that is Mormonism.
Sledge
Area Authority

Post by Sledge »

Mixman76 wrote:
You’re not a very nice person online. Just saying. Seems like semantics are more important to you than human beings.
It’s true that I’m precise with my words. It’s also true that I cannot empathize with you because I’ve never been in your situation, that’s why I specifically said sympathize.

And I do sympathize with you. You obviously ran into some very bad actors. I take mental abuse very seriously, no one should have to go through that. I am sorry that happened to you. I love you and so does god.
The law of chastity and the bishopric interviews associated with them are abuse. Teaching teenagers that they are unworthy and making them repeat in every detail what they have done is abuse. Having them write these sins out in letter form for the leaders to keep in a folder for who knows how long is abuse. President Kimball telling you that it is better to be dead than to have lost your virtue is abuse. Telling young people from the pulpit and in church publications that masturbation leads to homosexuality is abuse. And calling homosexuals vile and part of Satan’s plan is abuse. And that is Mormonism.
I’m very sorry. It seems like you had a bishop who had no business being a bishop.

If “that is Mormonism” then all Mormons would be mentally abused, and of course that is not the case. But what you describe above is not Mormonism, and it is not our doctrine.
Sledge
Area Authority

Post by Sledge »

drumdude wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 2:58 pm
If you have ever been Mormon for any length of time, you know the complete overwhelming sense of relief that came with finally ending the 3rd hour of church. I dreaded Sundays and apparently I was not alone.
Yeah, clearly Paxton has never been Mormon.
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

Sledge wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 10:10 pm
drumdude wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 2:58 pm
If you have ever been Mormon for any length of time, you know the complete overwhelming sense of relief that came with finally ending the 3rd hour of church. I dreaded Sundays and apparently I was not alone.
Yeah, clearly Paxton has never been Mormon.
Did he not show Midgely his temple recommend??