Church's Latest Real Estate Scheme

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Mayan Elephant
_Emeritus

Re: Church's Latest Real Estate Scheme

Post by _Mayan Elephant »

Mormonicious wrote:
Yeah, HOWEVER, the land developer is not necessarily the building developer. While the Mormon Corporation owns the land, its real value is in the structures.

i have no idea what the farming margins are in florida. but as a general rule in cali, and in normal non-drought years, margins are kinda like this:

pasture/beef - 2-3% annual return
row crops - 3-5%
permanent crops (almonds, walnuts, etc) 5-6%

and that is in the central valley, the best soil and market for farming in the world.

i am sure the church is looking at those pasture/beef margins out of florida and while they will be much higher because of deseret ranch's scale and the free labor that is available to the church - commercial real estate is looking very attractive in comparison.
"Rocks don't speak for themselves" is an unfortunate phrase to use in defense of a book produced by a rock actually 'speaking' for itself... (I have a Question, 5.15.15)
_Doctor Steuss
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor Steuss »

Mormonicious wrote:Yeah, HOWEVER, the land developer is not necessarily the building developer. While the Mormon Corporation owns the land, its real value is in the structures. It is unlikely that the Mormon Corporation is going to build the houses.

This is why I gave the example of Howard Hughes Corp's Summerlin master plan. They developed the lots, and sell them to homebuilders at a considerable markup.

Howard Hughes Corp maintains ownership/managment in things like Downtown Summerlin (the shopping center).
"Some people never go crazy. What truly horrible lives they must lead." ~Charles Bukowski
_fetchface
_Emeritus

Post by _fetchface »

Is there any reason to think that half a million(!) people would be the least bit interested in relocating to this new town? I mean in the end those lots are only going to be worth as much as someone is willing to pay for them.
Ubi Dubium Ibi Libertas
My Blog: http://untanglingmybrain.blogspot.com/
_I have a question
_Emeritus

Post by _I have a question »

fetchface wrote:Is there any reason to think that half a million(!) people would be the least bit interested in relocating to this new town? I mean in the end those lots are only going to be worth as much as someone is willing to pay for them.

A proportion of City Creeks condo's remain vacant.
“When we are confronted with evidence that challenges our deeply held beliefs we are more likely to reframe the evidence than we are to alter our beliefs. We simply invent new reasons, new justifications, new explanations. Sometimes we ignore the evidence altogether.” (Mathew Syed 'Black Box Thinking')
_Mayan Elephant
_Emeritus

fetchface wrote:Is there any reason to think that half a million(!) people would be the least bit interested in relocating to this new town? I mean in the end those lots are only going to be worth as much as someone is willing to pay for them.

if the church were not complete assholes. this could be done.

if instead of building a shopping mall, the church had built the world's premier medical research center and hospital and given grants to 3 award winners from WHO, those condos would be full. i suppose they could build something in florida that has industry, services, international reasons to move there, and a reason to exist and it could work. but they would never ever do that.

here you go asshole church - how about you give 1 billion dollars for the development of a worldwide water improvement research center, and ask for a quarter of that in matching from bill gates. easy. and then put a billion dollar facility on your stupid damned ranch. then watch the people come. or, just pay your contractor buddies to build malls in the swamp for you instead, that is another option.
"Rocks don't speak for themselves" is an unfortunate phrase to use in defense of a book produced by a rock actually 'speaking' for itself... (I have a Question, 5.15.15)
_Mormonicious
_Emeritus

Post by _Mormonicious »

Maybe they will call the development "All praise Mormon Man god and his Son, Mormon Bastard jesus, and “F” THE NEEDY" land.
Revelation 2:17 . . give him a white stone, and in the stone a new name written, which no man knoweth saving he that receiveth it. Thank Google GOD for her son eBay, you can now have life eternal with laser engraving. . oh, and a seer stone and save 10% of your life's earning as a bonus. See you in Mormon man god Heaven Bitches!!. Bring on the Virgins
_fetchface
_Emeritus

Post by _fetchface »

I have a question wrote:A proportion of City Creeks condo's remain vacant.

Exactly, and here we are talking about a development the size of the entire Reno metro area. Putting this many lots up for sale is going to have a major effect on not just the real estate market in the state of Florida but the entire region.

The people who move to this new place are going to have to move out of something, and if this is happening all in a relatively short amount of time the market in the area is going to tank. The total population of Florida is 20 million. If the church ends up doing this, I'd be pissed if I were a homeowner in Florida.
Ubi Dubium Ibi Libertas
My Blog: http://untanglingmybrain.blogspot.com/
_Mayan Elephant
_Emeritus

fetchface wrote:
The people who move to this new place are going to have to move out of something,

especially if donald trump wins!
_zeezrom
_Emeritus

Post by _zeezrom »

Maybe the brethren really think the end of the world is around the corner and that maybe there will be land wars during the millennium. If they buy as much land as possible now, it will make it that much easier to find a house for Jesus and his followers. I know it sounds crazy but crazier crap has happened.
Oh for shame, how the mortals put the blame on us gods, for they say evils come from us, but it is they, rather, who by their own recklessness win sorrow beyond what is given... Zeus (1178 BC)

The Holy Sacrament.
_Mayan Elephant
_Emeritus

zeezrom wrote:Maybe the brethren really think the end of the world is around the corner and that maybe there will be land wars during the millennium. If they buy as much land as possible now, it will make it that much easier to find a house for Jesus and his followers. I know it sounds crazy but crazier s*** has happened.

i think that at some point there were executives in the church that believed that these farms and land would save the greatest of all generations and the thread-hanging constitution when Armageddon ensued. for the most part, those asses are dead. now there are just of bunch of white guys looking at the property and asking how in the names of God the Father, his Son Jesus Christ and the Holy Ghost - can they monetize this for themselves and the corporations.

creating one of the biggest cities in america on their ranch may, to some, look like a losing deal. but to somebody, it is also a huge payoff.