Unworthy Kids? Leave Your Money to LDS Philanthropies

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Gadianton
_Emeritus

Re: Unworthy Kids? Leave Your Money to LDS Philanthropies

Post by _Gadianton »

By the way, according to wiki, all the money from LDS philanthropies goes to the actual projects and the Church does not take a cut. But don't be deceived. Corporate branding and advertising is deeply wedded to charity these days. On the very same day, two high-ranking corporate officers from a place I worked cut several hundred jobs, and then went out for a smiling photo shoot where they were shown raising a finger in service for the handicapped. Just like part of your branding on Facebook or Linked-in is bragging about what charities you support, corporations also divert the discriminating eye from their evil deeds by showing all the good they do in the world for the less fortunate. But evil corporations give employees incentives like, for every dollar you donate to the cause, the corporation will match that dollar. Also, it's a best practice now to give employees several days a year in time off to serve as volunteers for company-sponsored projects wearing the company t-shirt. All this does cost the company money.

So now compare that to the Church, and the Church lags behind, because the mindless sheep do 100% of the Church's advertising for them and entirely at their own expense.
Lou Midgley 08/20/2020: "...meat wad," and "cockroach" are pithy descriptions of human beings used by gemli? They were not fashioned by Professor Peterson.

LM 11/23/2018: one can explain away the soul of human beings...as...a Meat Unit, to use Professor Peterson's clever derogatory description of gemli's ideology.
_DrW
_Emeritus

Post by _DrW »

Gadianton wrote:Get the kids proud of the family brand and make them work low-level jobs for dad when they become teens in addition to taking Oboe lessons and comparing grade point averages. That's the way to engage children and increase the chances of responsibly passing down the wealth, not by liquidating, putting everything under a charity in a shared relation with the Church where the righteous are left to decide under a guilty conscious, how much to take for themselves, and the "wicked", not those doing Cocaine, but those holding different religious views, are totally cut out and the Church cut in.

When you think about it, there is a sort of special "inheritance" that TBM parents leave to their offspring who decide to follow in the tradition of their parents, and that is a debt obligation of 10% of their income (not surplus or increase - but income) for life.

A parent would have to leave a pretty substantial estate to a child in order to net out that obligation.
David Hume: "---Mistakes in philosophy are merely ridiculous, those in religion are dangerous."

DrW: "Mistakes in science are learning opportunities and are eventually corrected."
_Polygamy-Porter
_Emeritus

Post by _Polygamy-Porter »

Kishkumen wrote:Here is the video, which is still up on YouTube. The video was taken down by the Church after it received a lot of negative attention.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xNRlg6O8ekU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=p ... 8ekU#t=450

Obedience to the rules and alliance to LDS Inc is #1 for these parents.

They consider their children to be struggling even if they are successful and wealthy, BUT NOT "temple worthy".

Get over your pious little selves.
New name: Boaz
The most viewed "ignored" poster in Shady Acres® !
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

Are your descendants not measuring up to you specifications? We at Global Goodness Charities would like to offer you an alternative. If those ungrateful whelps refuse to measure up for whatever reason to what your commendable beliefs dictate, then we will help you structure a planned donation to our heavenly cause and set your mind at ease that you are indeed doing the right thing. Simply fill out the electronic form and we will have our eternal agents contact you and make this planned gift that is pleasing unto our Lord a reality. Remember, at Global Goodness we are looking out for your immortal soul.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_Quasimodo
_Emeritus

Post by _Quasimodo »

moksha wrote:
Are your descendants not measuring up to you specifications? We at Global Goodness Charities would like to offer you an alternative. If those ungrateful whelps refuse to measure up for whatever reason to what your commendable beliefs dictate, then we will help you structure a planned donation to our heavenly cause and set your mind at ease that you are indeed doing the right thing. Simply fill out the electronic form and we will have our eternal agents contact you and make this planned gift that is pleasing unto our Lord a reality. Remember, at Global Goodness we are looking out for your immortal soul.

You forgot to leave a link! I'm ready to sign up. I was going to leave my worldly possessions to my short haired pointer, but he is already too spoiled.

Maybe I'll convert my holdings into socks and send them all to Dr.Steuss.
This, or any other post that I have made or will make in the future, is strictly my own opinion and consequently of little or no value.

"Faith is believing something you know ain't true" Twain.
_I have a question
_Emeritus

Post by _I have a question »

Jersey Girl wrote:
Kishkumen wrote: In doing so, it tries to obscure its own role in creating the scenario and then benefiting from it.

Tell me in what way and to what end, the church benefits from it. Roll out the ball of yarn and tell me what's at the end.

More money, yes. But for what purpose?

On tithing slips is a disclaimer saying that, no matter what you specifically donated the money for, the Church reserves the right to use it in whatever way it sees fit. In other words, Humanitarian Aid donations could end up funding the Missionary programme or going towards another Temple. I've tried to locate the terms of service governing the donations made to LDS Philanthropies....but the page is no longer available. Until I see otherwise I'm going to go ahead and assume the same disclaimer applies. Here is a link that shows all the places your donations could end up:
https://www.ldsphilanthropies.org/curre ... ities.html
LDS Philanthropies, a department of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, is responsible for philanthropic donations to Church institutions including:
Brigham Young University
BYU-Hawaii
BYU-Idaho
LDS Business College
CES: Elementary/Secondary Schools
Self-Reliance Services/Perpetual Education Fund
Humanitarian Services
Family History/FamilySearch
Missionary
Temple Patron and Construction Fund
Mormon Tabernacle Choir
Church History

I don't' trust charitable organisations that steadfastly refuse to publish their accounts.
“When we are confronted with evidence that challenges our deeply held beliefs we are more likely to reframe the evidence than we are to alter our beliefs. We simply invent new reasons, new justifications, new explanations. Sometimes we ignore the evidence altogether.” (Mathew Syed 'Black Box Thinking')
_DrW
_Emeritus

Post by _DrW »

I have a question wrote:On tithing slips is a disclaimer saying that, no matter what you specifically donated the money for, the Church reserves the right to use it in whatever way it sees fit. In other words, Humanitarian Aid donations could end up funding the Missionary programme or going towards another Temple. I've tried to locate the terms of service governing the donations made to LDS Philanthropies....but the page is no longer available. Until I see otherwise I'm going to go ahead and assume the same disclaimer applies. Here is a link that shows all the places your donations could end up:
https://www.ldsphilanthropies.org/curre ... ities.html
LDS Philanthropies, a department of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, is responsible for philanthropic donations to Church institutions including:
Brigham Young University
BYU-Hawaii
BYU-Idaho
LDS Business College
CES: Elementary/Secondary Schools
Self-Reliance Services/Perpetual Education Fund
Humanitarian Services
Family History/Family Search
Missionary
Temple Patron and Construction Fund
Mormon Tabernacle Choir
Church History

I don't trust charitable organisations that steadfastly refuse to publish their accounts.

Thanks for finding and posting this. It just makes things worse as far as I'm concerned.

Considering this list of admitted uses, and with no further information on the subject, one could reasonably assume that approximately 8% (1/12th less overhead) of the money donated to "LDS Philanthropies" actually went to humanitarian aid.

In other words: "LDS Philanthropies" = "LDS General Fund Lite".
David Hume: "---Mistakes in philosophy are merely ridiculous, those in religion are dangerous."

DrW: "Mistakes in science are learning opportunities and are eventually corrected."
_DrW
_Emeritus

Post by _DrW »

Water Dog wrote:I am absolutely appalled by this business. We can roll our eyes at the overbearing asshole dad, quite another for the church to actually promote such an insidious message. The video is so far beyond the pale that it comes across as being satirical. I didn't believe it was real at first. I'm glad to see that the video was pulled, but that strikes me more as a practical marketing decision than an acknowledgement that the message itself was wrong to begin with.

This may be a shelf breaking moment for me. This combined with Uchtdorf consecrating the grounds for a Marriott hotel has me in complete disgust. It's the sort of privilege one would expect for a large donor to a political party. In the early church polygamy was the vehicle for kingdom building. Today they do the same thing through business relationships. It's pretty obvious that a collusion exists between the church and an elite class of members/leadership, with church-owned resources being wielded to benefit said members.

Although we have had our differences on this board in the past, WD, I applaud you for speaking out on this matter. Hope others who have been offended by this kind of behavior by Church leaders have the courage to speak out as well.

_Maksutov
_Emeritus

Post by _Maksutov »

Water Dog wrote:It's pretty obvious that a collusion exists between the church and an elite class of members/leadership, with church-owned resources being wielded to benefit said members.

D. Michael Quinn's PhD dissertation (Yale 1976) had to do with the incredible degree of inter-relatedness of the Mormon hierarchy/aristocracy, especially through marriage. I think every religion of sufficient age struggles with dynastic issues. This is one of them.
"God" is the original deus ex machina. --Maksutov
_huckelberry
_Emeritus

Post by _huckelberry »

i viewed the presentation yesterday and was repelled. The production value was well crafted. It was well designed to manipulate guilt towards extra giving to the church. It overreached.

In the wards I grew up in there were no families even close to the economic means implied in the video. It was not aimed at us.

Or was it? after all we are supposed to get rich and it is our failing if our economics are ordinary. We better increase our giving to make up the difference.

I was unaware that it was common for Mormon families to set up charitable foundations deciding to give funds directly without going through the church. I guess it is not against the rules. Anybody in your ward self finance a trip to central america to help build houses or wood stoves?

Perhaps not, feel guilty?

I wondered if it was realistic for the family to get out and push a stalled car 15 miles into town? Feel guilty yet? It might have been 25 miles there was no town about when they started. Ok it was just an image.

don't have time for all that? Give to the program.