What is "The Truth" in the Scriptures?

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Philo Sofee
_Emeritus

What is "The Truth" in the Scriptures?

Post by _Philo Sofee »

New article on my blog for your reading pleasures
https://drpepaw.wordpress.com/2015/09/2 ... e-inquiry/
Dr CamNC4Me
"Dr. Peterson and his Callithumpian cabal of BYU idiots have been marginalized by their own inevitable irrelevancy defending a fraud."
_churchistrue
_Emeritus

Re: What is "The Truth" in the Scriptures?

Post by _churchistrue »

I read your blog and it got my creative juices flowing. I included a reference to your post in my blog today. http://www.churchistrue.com/blog/faith-as-a-choice/

I agree with your idea of the difficullty of finding absolute truth within scripture. I think is difficult/impossible to do.

You seem exasperated by the idea of Terryl Givens to simply choose to believe it within the framework of Mormonism, but I think choosing to have faith is all we can do, when it appears impossible to know.
Sharing a view of non-historical/metaphorical "New Mormonism" on my blog http://www.churchistrue.com/
_Chap
_Emeritus

Post by _Chap »

churchistrue wrote:You seem exasperated by the idea of Terryl Givens to simply choose to believe it within the framework of Mormonism, but I think choosing to have faith is all we can do, when it appears impossible to know.

"All we can do"? Really?

How about simply deciding that we shall have to say "Questions like what happens when we die are not capable of any rationally based answer. So instead, let us leave them to one side, and turn our attention to problems that can be solved if we try hard enough, like making sure every child gets an education, and has enough to eat. At least that can do no harm, and may even do a lot of good."
Zadok:
I did not have a faith crisis. I discovered that the Church was having a truth crisis.
Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.
_huckelberry
_Emeritus

Post by _huckelberry »

Chap wrote:How about simply deciding that we shall have to say "Questions like what happens when we die are not capable of any rationally based answer. So instead, let us leave them to one side, and turn our attention to problems that can be solved if we try hard enough, like making sure every child gets an education, and has enough to eat. At least that can do no harm, and may even do a lot of good."

A sensible Christian response.

Yes I realize the response is not sole property of Christian.
_sock puppet
_Emeritus

Post by _sock puppet »

Chap wrote:
churchistrue wrote:You seem exasperated by the idea of Terryl Givens to simply choose to believe it within the framework of Mormonism, but I think choosing to have faith is all we can do, when it appears impossible to know.

"All we can do"? Really?

How about simply deciding that we shall have to say "Questions like what happens when we die are not capable of any rationally based answer. So instead, let us leave them to one side, and turn our attention to problems that can be solved if we try hard enough, like making sure every child gets an education, and has enough to eat. At least that can do no harm, and may even do a lot of good."

Yep. Anything buy apatheism is a waste of time. The New Testament says man can't know the mind or will of god. So why fret about whether such a New Testament 'god' exists.
_churchistrue
_Emeritus

Post by _churchistrue »

Chap wrote:

"All we can do"? Really?

All we can do may be poor word choice. I mean we may not know something, but we can choose it, via faith. Obviously other options are to reject completely or to ignore it.
Sharing a view of non-historical/metaphorical "New Mormonism" on my blog http://www.churchistrue.com/
_honorentheos
_Emeritus

Post by _honorentheos »

churchistrue, on her/his blog, wrote:I was moved to put together this blog post by a question Kerry Shirts asked “What is ‘the truth’ of scripture?”

“The newest Mormon rhetoric to come out, that of Terryl Givens, claims that ‘…many scriptural contradictions are only apparent, [to who?] evaporating upon closer or more contextualized reading.’ Nice, but whose contextualization? Givens, being a Mormon apologist says Mormonism, of course! And we are once again back to square one.”

This is exactly the kind of statement that used to really bother me, before I moved from a literal to a metaphorical paradigm and accepted faith as something denotes choice not necessarily belief. Truth to a literal believer is limited to only statements that are factual accurate. Truth to me now is doctrine that leads us to understanding about God and ourselves, and leads us to a better, higher, happier state of living.

I choose to have faith in the gospel of Jesus Christ as restored by Joseph Smith. I understand the historical claims of our church’s origin are messy. They might even prove it is false, if you are restricted to a narrow, literal view. But by a larger definition, I believe the church is true. The evidence of the church’s truth is the rich abundance I feel in my life when I engage fully in the church. I find God in the Mormon church, and my life is enriched.

Hi churchistrue,

My apologies for jumping into the discussion midstream. But the definition of truth you provide above seems to deserve more specific discussion and since "Truth in Scripture" is the central theme of Kerry's link in the OP perhaps it will further the OP's intent to some extent.

From your statement, it seems accurate to say you are redefining the term "true" away from one that tells us about objective reality that is independent of our emotional responses. Instead, what determines the truth of something is, to borrow your phrase, the abundance it causes you to feel.

Could one argue that within your definition, then, the opposite of truth is contraction? The loss of abundance one feels?

This raises a serious concern to my mind because in my experience I have encountered situations where an initial thought, even prolonged and acted upon, felt heady and enriching only to be proven inaccurate by cold hard facts. Sometimes rather bluntly by someone else with knowledge of the facts who could point out the error in my thinking. The experience certainly could feel like a contraction and loss of abundance, but the results were an increase in my understanding of what was objectively so.

How does your theory of truth-as-abundance, to be chosen rather than acknowledged through resilience to scrutiny, deal with the need to be falsifiable but able to withstand the attempts to falsify it? And remain consistent with your definition?
The world is always full of the sound of waves..but who knows the heart of the sea, a hundred feet down? Who knows it's depth?
~ Eiji Yoshikawa
_churchistrue
_Emeritus

Post by _churchistrue »

honorentheos wrote:
churchistrue, on her/his blog, wrote:I was moved to put together this blog post by a question Kerry Shirts asked “What is ‘the truth’ of scripture?”

“The newest Mormon rhetoric to come out, that of Terryl Givens, claims that ‘…many scriptural contradictions are only apparent, [to who?] evaporating upon closer or more contextualized reading.’ Nice, but whose contextualization? Givens, being a Mormon apologist says Mormonism, of course! And we are once again back to square one.”

This is exactly the kind of statement that used to really bother me, before I moved from a literal to a metaphorical paradigm and accepted faith as something denotes choice not necessarily belief. Truth to a literal believer is limited to only statements that are factual accurate. Truth to me now is doctrine that leads us to understanding about God and ourselves, and leads us to a better, higher, happier state of living.

I choose to have faith in the gospel of Jesus Christ as restored by Joseph Smith. I understand the historical claims of our church’s origin are messy. They might even prove it is false, if you are restricted to a narrow, literal view. But by a larger definition, I believe the church is true. The evidence of the church’s truth is the rich abundance I feel in my life when I engage fully in the church. I find God in the Mormon church, and my life is enriched.

Hi churchistrue,

My apologies for jumping into the discussion midstream. But the definition of truth you provide above seems to deserve more specific discussion and since "Truth in Scripture" is the central theme of Kerry's link in the OP perhaps it will further the OP's intent to some extent.

From your statement, it seems accurate to say you are redefining the term "true" away from one that tells us about objective reality that is independent of our emotional responses. Instead, what determines the truth of something is, to borrow your phrase, the abundance it causes you to feel.

Could one argue that within your definition, then, the opposite of truth is contraction? The loss of abundance one feels?

This raises a serious concern to my mind because in my experience I have encountered situations where an initial thought, even prolonged and acted upon, felt heady and enriching only to be proven inaccurate by cold hard facts. Sometimes rather bluntly by someone else with knowledge of the facts who could point out the error in my thinking. The experience certainly could feel like a contraction and loss of abundance, but the results were an increase in my understanding of what was objectively so.

How does your theory of truth-as-abundance, to be chosen rather than acknowledged through resilience to scrutiny, deal with the need to be falsifiable but able to withstand the attempts to falsify it? And remain consistent with your definition?

That's getting into level of discussion that's above my pay grade, but probably is more in line with what Philo Sofee is aiming at with his OP.

I'll think about this and respond later.
_Fence Sitter
_Emeritus

Post by _Fence Sitter »

churchistrue wrote:[

All we can do may be poor word choice. I mean we may not know something, but we can choose it, via faith. Obviously other options are to reject completely or to ignore it.

See this is the problem with the constraints of faith; accept you don't know and act as if you do, reject completely or ignore.
The option to leave open the possibility that the future may prove you wrong is the antithesis of faith.
"Any over-ritualized religion since the dawn of time can make its priests say yes, we know, it is rotten, and hard luck, but just do as we say, keep at the ritual, stick it out, give us your money and you'll end up with the angels in heaven for evermore."
_honorentheos
_Emeritus

Post by _honorentheos »

churchistrue wrote:That's getting into level of discussion that's above my pay grade, but probably is more in line with what Philo Sofee is aiming at with his OP.

I'll think about this and respond later.

That's fine. Please take the time you need.

I do hope that you'll come back to it when ready, though.
The world is always full of the sound of waves..but who knows the heart of the sea, a hundred feet down? Who knows it's depth?
~ Eiji Yoshikawa