Monson struggles near the end of his talk

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_maklelan
_Emeritus

Re: Monson struggles near the end of his talk

Post by _maklelan »

Mormon Think wrote:Apparently the video on LDS.org has already been edited so it doesn't show much of a slump and video angles were changed so it doesn't show Monson in quite the fragile state of the original. This was from a post on RFM.

Dan :redface:

The videos were edited to show the 3/4 view so that his face wasn't so obscured by the microphone as he slumped down. If anything, the different angle exposes more of his frailty.

Dan from the Church's Publishing Services Department
I like you Betty...

My blog
_cinepro
_Emeritus

Post by _cinepro »

I think just about everyone had the same reaction. By the end of his talk, the microphone was obscuring his face, and he was repeating sentences. I was shocked, and was wondering if I was watching President Monson's last public address. They cut to an extreme wide shot about 1 millisecond after the talk ended.

Here is how one faithful LDS responded:

If you were watching general conference this Sunday morning, your heart probably melted as you watched President Monson’s physical strength begin to fail on him in front of the entire Church. He started strong, and then all of the sudden it was as if an entire lifetime of church service came crashing down on to his shoulders.

http://www.gregtrimble.com/president-monson-i-wish-i-could-have-come-and-held-you-up/
_LDSToronto
_Emeritus

Post by _LDSToronto »

The video shows Monson slumping and repeating words. I've seen this in the elderly as their Parkinson's medication wears off. That said, if the church wants to put old men with medical problems on display before the world, well, that's another reason to hate the church.
"Others cannot endure their own littleness unless they can translate it into meaningfulness on the largest possible level."
~ Ernest Becker
"Whether you think of it as heavenly or as earthly, if you love life immortality is no consolation for death."
~ Simone de Beauvoir
_maklelan
_Emeritus

Post by _maklelan »

LDSToronto wrote:The video shows Monson slumping and repeating words. I've seen this in the elderly as their Parkinson's medication wears off. That said, if the church wants to put old men with medical problems on display before the world, well, that's another reason to hate the church.

You must have seethed with rage when the Muhammed Ali, shaking from his Parkinson's, lit the Olympic fire in Atlanta.
I like you Betty...

My blog
_RockSlider
_Emeritus

Post by _RockSlider »

My theory, they have been to the cross roads, and this part of the the price they must pay, enslaved to the very last breath.
_ludwigm
_Emeritus

Post by _ludwigm »

maklelan wrote:You must have seethed with rage when the Muhammed Ali, shaking from his Parkinson's, lit the Olympic fire in Atlanta.
I used to watch it on TV.

Any of You can watch it now : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=80wMMFAcweQ -

There was no sermon said by him...
- Whenever a poet or preacher, chief or wizard spouts gibberish, the human race spends centuries deciphering the message. - Umberto Eco
- To assert that the earth revolves around the sun is as erroneous as to claim that Jesus was not born of a virgin. - Cardinal Bellarmine at the trial of Galilei
_LDSToronto
_Emeritus

Post by _LDSToronto »

maklelan wrote:
LDSToronto wrote:The video shows Monson slumping and repeating words. I've seen this in the elderly as their Parkinson's medication wears off. That said, if the church wants to put old men with medical problems on display before the world, well, that's another reason to hate the church.

You must have seethed with rage when the Muhammed Ali, shaking from his Parkinson's, lit the Olympic fire in Atlanta.

Exploiting the weak, in any form, is repugnant. This Monson stuff, pure exploitation - already a martyr and he's not even dead:

Uchtdorf is such a hero...

Children See Angels Carry Monson Away

H.
"Others cannot endure their own littleness unless they can translate it into meaningfulness on the largest possible level."
~ Ernest Becker
"Whether you think of it as heavenly or as earthly, if you love life immortality is no consolation for death."
~ Simone de Beauvoir
_Lemmie
_Emeritus

Post by _Lemmie »

maklelan wrote:You must have seethed with rage when the Muhammed Ali, shaking from his Parkinson's, lit the Olympic fire in Atlanta.

You're equating those two events? Odd, but understandable given your bias.
_grindael
_Emeritus

Post by _grindael »

It didn't look to me like he "almost collapsed". He just looks frail. My mother is his age and needs help to get around. I give him a lot of credit for going out there and speaking as frail as he looked, it must have been difficult.
Riding on a speeding train; trapped inside a revolving door;
Lost in the riddle of a quatrain; Stuck in an elevator between floors.
One focal point in a random world can change your direction:
One step where events converge may alter your perception.
_maklelan
_Emeritus

Post by _maklelan »

LDSToronto wrote:Exploiting the weak, in any form, is repugnant. This Monson stuff, pure exploitation

Clearly. The way he kept saying he didn't want to be up there gave it all away. None of the leaders wanted him to sit down and rest. Didn't you know that's why nobody came to hold him up?
I like you Betty...

My blog