John Dehlin: A Spy Story

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Re: John Dehlin: A Spy Story

Post by _Kishkumen »

He was disfellowshipped. The same phrase is used of ex-communicated elders.
"Petition wasn’t meant to start a witch hunt as I’ve said 6000 times." ~ Hanna Seariac, LDS apologist
_Maksutov
_Emeritus

Post by _Maksutov »

Kishkumen wrote:He was disfellowshipped. The same phrase is used of ex-communicated elders.

The brother that worked for Charlie Wilson was?
"God" is the original deus ex machina. --Maksutov
_sock puppet
_Emeritus

Post by _sock puppet »

Kishkumen wrote:
Jesse Pinkman wrote:OMG! You saw this happen? I had never heard of that specific question being asked! How horrible!

Jesse, this was simply part of the procedure in my mission. I am ashamed to say that I was one of the young missionaries who was asking that question.

Me too.
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Post by _Kishkumen »

Maksutov wrote:
Kishkumen wrote:He was disfellowshipped. The same phrase is used of ex-communicated elders.

The brother that worked for Charlie Wilson was?

No, I was responding to a question about the missionary expression: going home with his garments in a box.

The arms trafficker was an active member. He was my seminary teacher for a while.
"Petition wasn’t meant to start a witch hunt as I’ve said 6000 times." ~ Hanna Seariac, LDS apologist
_cafe crema
_Emeritus

Post by _cafe crema »

Mayan Elephant wrote:
Kishkumen wrote:One of the worst invasions was using young missionaries to ask women whether they had ever had an abortion in a baptismal interview. The many layers of wrongness there are staggering to contemplate.

the wrongness on that is layered. we agree on that.

not sure what the process was in your mission, but if the answer was yes - then it started moving up up up the ladder. DL calls the ZL, ZL calls the office, office calls the MP, MP calls back down to the DL or ZL. we streamlined a bit in our mission, but the process was certainly one that did not include any amount of confidentiality.

if i recall, there were 5 big questions to ask. abortion, felony/crime, gay, something about divorces/marriages/kids, and something else. i can't remember it all.

And over on the MD&D board the Mormons are going on about how the LDS church has a "seal of the confessional" the same as the Catholic church so that what you confess is never told to anyone else.
_Lemmie
_Emeritus

Post by _Lemmie »

Thank you for the information.