John Dehlin: A Spy Story

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_SteelHead
_Emeritus

Re: John Dehlin: A Spy Story

Post by _SteelHead »

It is better to be a warrior in a garden, than a gardener at war.

Some of us, on the other hand, actually prefer a religion that includes some type of correlation with reality.
~Bill Hamblin
_inthebarrel
_Emeritus

Post by _inthebarrel »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:Ugh. In Yahoo Bot's world human intelligence isn't spying if the POI gives up intel freely.

Sigh...

- Doc

Technically he's right. It's not spying. It's stalking.
I've been banned from better websites than this one.
_Doctor CamNC4Me
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor CamNC4Me »

inthebarrel wrote:
Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:Ugh. In Yahoo Bot's world human intelligence isn't spying if the POI gives up intel freely.

Sigh...

- Doc

Technically he's right. It's not spying. It's stalking.

Ok. Look. Spying is secretly collecting information. The CIA uses various forms of spying, but it's known for collecting through human intelligence operations. Typically the Mormon Church CIA will assign a SCMC agent Handler to run his snitch Source who will then talk to the suspected sinner Subject (Person of Interest) to get a confession valuable intelligence to use against him. Various forms of intelligence is easily obtainable. You can use, for example, OSINT, which is open source intelligence (Facebook, Blogs, Chat, Linkedin, etc...) to gather information which you can then analyze for intent, connections, ideology, and behavior. You can do this secretly. That's called spying when an organization collects information secretly to use against the targeted individual for political/ideological/economic/ purposes.

eta: The Source can also just talk to the Subject and elicit information out of him. That's also spying because the Subject doesn't understand what is happening beyond the apparent.

- Doc
In the face of madness, rationality has no power - Xiao Wang, US historiographer, 2287 AD.

Every record...falsified, every book rewritten...every statue...has been renamed or torn down, every date...altered...the process is continuing...minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Ideology is always right.
_Ceeboo
_Emeritus

Post by _Ceeboo »

I know that a fairly large portion of my board contributions are silly banter - but some of the more serious threads, like this one, really bum me out.

Mormonism - I sometimes really really dislike it!

Mormons - I almost always really really like them!

A tough gig at times.

Peace,
Ceeboo
_Prester John
_Emeritus

Post by _Prester John »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
hagoth7 wrote:Seriously though, I would be interested in an answer to PJ's question.

I don't know if I'm just a weapons grade autist, but you do know how to google, no? If not, just highlight the text, right click, and choose the "search Google" option.

- Doc

Sorry. I didn't know you could Google the answers to questions about a particular person's thoughts, feelings and opinions.

But Kishkumen, by all means, don't let me stand in the way of you wasting double the time explaining why you aren't going to answer the questions than if you had just simply answered.
_Prester John
_Emeritus

Post by _Prester John »

Ceeboo wrote:

No, you just dislike the negative fairytale construct of it portrayed here by people like Kishkumen.
_hagoth7
_Emeritus

Post by _hagoth7 »

Tobin wrote:
Yahoo Bot wrote:St. Paul in the New Testament required his churches to investigate ""trouble[makers" and "cut them off," using a pun relating to castration....

I think it is interesting you failed to cite this supposed teaching of St Paul....

Yahoo Bot might be referring to the linked passage below, where Paul was apparently referring to those who troubled early Christians. Those causing the trouble were apparently agitating for Christians to submit to circumcision: https://www.lds.org/scriptures/New Testament/gal/5.12?lang=eng#11
Joseph Smith: "I don't blame any one for not believing my history. If I had not experienced what I have, I would not have believed it myself."
https://www.lds.org/scriptures/Book of Mormon/alm ... ang=eng#20
Red pill: https://www.lds.org/scriptures/New Testament/acts/ ... ang=eng#10
Blue pill: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5NNOrp_83RU
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Post by _Kishkumen »

DocCam wrote:
hagoth7 wrote:Seriously though, I would be interested in an answer to PJ's question.

I don't know if I'm just a weapons grade autist, but you do know how to google, no? If not, just highlight the text, right click, and choose the "search Google" option.

- Doc

Prester John wrote:Sorry. I didn't know you could Google the answers to questions about a particular person's thoughts, feelings and opinions.

But Kishkumen, by all means, don't let me stand in the way of you wasting double the time explaining why you aren't going to answer the questions than if you had just simply answered.

I think he is referring to your question about the SCMC quote. It's that old careful reading problem, as in you didn't.
"Petition wasn’t meant to start a witch hunt as I’ve said 6000 times." ~ Hanna Seariac, LDS apologist
_Jesse Pinkman
_Emeritus

Post by _Jesse Pinkman »

Kishkumen wrote:
Yahoo Bot wrote:Spying is secretly recording a conversation without telling somebody, among other things.

Secretly gathering information to use against someone is a form of spying. Delhi's EQP sought access to private online fora in order to gather information against him there. That clearly qualifies as spying on John.

Yahoo Bot wrote:No it isn't. What "private online fora" is not a public forum if it admits anonymous posters?

What makes you think Kish was referring to THIS forum? What makes you think that John Dehlin was, for that matter? There ARE private forums where you are required to go through security situations to join. Dehlin was never specific as to which private forums he was referring to.
So you're chasing around a fly and in your world, I'm the idiot?

"Friends don't let friends be Mormon." Sock Puppet, MDB.

Music is my drug of choice.

"And that is precisely why none of us apologize for holding it to the celestial standard it pretends that it possesses." Kerry, MDB

Post by _Ceeboo »

Hey Prester! :smile:

Prester John wrote:
Ceeboo wrote:

No, you just dislike the negative fairytale construct of it portrayed here by people like Kishkumen.

Did you really just correct Ceeboo - about what Ceeboo dislikes - from a post authored by Ceeboo - who already told you what Ceeboo dislikes? Really?

You can add that to my list of dislikes! :smile:

And, since you used my post as your runway to launch your personal opinion about Kishkumen - I thought it fair if I returned the effort by sharing my personal opinion with you.

Like many people on this board, Kishkumen has an experience with Mormonism. His opinions about Mormonism are his. Similarly, your opinions about Mormonism are yours.
They need not be the same for each of them to be valid, worthy of discussion, and/or helpful for or to anyone who happens to read them on this board.

Personally (This is my opinion coming - please do not feel that you need to correct it later) I think Kish is a tremendous asset to this board. I think he often displays excellent balance, level headedness, fairness, and I think he brings deep and valuable thought to the great majority of his board contributions. This - in my opinion - can be a monumentally tough thing to do when the topic of discussion is Mormonism.

Anyway, just my take.

Peace,
Ceeboo