Daniel C. Peterson's Struggle With Honesty and Integrity.

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Re: Daniel C. Peterson's Struggle With Honesty and Integrity

Post by _Jersey Girl »

SteelHead wrote:Dan is the only person I've encountered who writes a blog about a religious topic and tags it with where ever in the world he is, that has no relationship to the post.

Ex:
Blah blah religious blather.

Posted from Seattle

Are we supposed to be impressed by his jetsetting, Rockstar lifestyle?

Let me take a second shot at replying to this, okay?

Look, I really have nothing at all left for DCP if I had much to start with.

But his blog isn't just about religious topics. I know that he has got travel log and personal stuff on it as well. I've seen that.

Unless he changed blogs since I read the travel and personal items.
Failure is not falling down but refusing to get up.
Chinese Proverb
_Quasimodo
_Emeritus

Post by _Quasimodo »

Jersey Girl wrote:Quasi,

The way I see it, his blog is his journal. I could be wrong, but that's always been my impression.

Maybe, but that would make a bad journal. If one felt a need to keep a journal on digital media, one could easily reference a blog by date (link) and use that as a reference. There should be much more information in a journal than just ones resent blog post.

I really don't think he is using his post location on his blog for any other reason than to let everyone know he travels a lot.

That doesn't bother me at all, but I don't think he does it for keeping a record.

Posted from Oceanside, CA so I can later add this post to my autobiography. :wink:
This, or any other post that I have made or will make in the future, is strictly my own opinion and consequently of little or no value.

"Faith is believing something you know ain't true" Twain.
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

Quasimodo wrote:

The way I see it, his blog is his journal. I could be wrong, but that's always been my impression.

Maybe, but that would make a bad journal. If one felt a need to keep a journal on digital media, one could easily reference a blog by date (link) and use that as a reference. There should be much more information in a journal than just ones resent blog post.

I really don't think he is using his post location on his blog for any other reason than to let everyone know he travels a lot.

That doesn't bother me at all, but I don't think he does it for keeping a record.

Posted from Oceanside, CA so I can later add this post to my autobiography. :wink:

So noted.

Posted from Newark, New Jersey

Jersey "the liar" Girl
:-)
Failure is not falling down but refusing to get up.
Chinese Proverb
_Chap
_Emeritus

Post by _Chap »

Jesse Pinkman wrote:
Everybody Wang Chung wrote:Lying about Professor Robert Ritner and the reasons he removed himself from John Gee's dissertation committee (which ultimately resulted in Professor Ritner telling DCP to cease or he would take legal action);

CFR on this, please.

You mean you really were not paying attention when all this happened? The essentials were along the following lines, as I recall:

(a) Ritner let it be known that he had criticisms of Gee's Mormon-related Egyptology. He mentioned that, unlike his other former PhD students, Gee did not ask for his advice on his work at draft stage before publication.

(b) DCP weighed in, in a mode with which many of us are familar, hinting that those aware of the reasons for which Ritner was 'removed from Gee's PhD committee' would know what value, if any, was to be placed on Ritner's criticisms. Many understood these posts as intended to suggest that Ritner had acted improperly towards his student Gee on the grounds of religious prejudice, and had thus been removed from the committee by the Yale university authorities.

(c) It then became known that Ritner had in fact resigned from Gee's committee rather than being removed, and that he had apparently done so because he did not feel able to take part in deliberations which might result in giving approval to Gee's work. And when Ritner became aware of DCP's attempts to suggest that he had acted improperly, he took legal action to ensure that DCP ceased to speak and write in a way that spread rumors that might damage his (Ritner's) professional reputation.

(d) Since then we have seen publication of Ritner's major book on the Joseph Smith papyri, which has established his scholarly authority on that topic in a way that no Mormon scholar seems likely to match.

That account is to the best of my recollection. I would be happy to have it corrected or supplemented by anybody who has a better memory.

Goodness knows where all the relevant posts on this board and on the MAD board are to be found - indeed, I would expect that many of the latter would have been deleted by now.
Zadok:
I did not have a faith crisis. I discovered that the Church was having a truth crisis.
Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.
_Jesse Pinkman
_Emeritus

Post by _Jesse Pinkman »

Chap wrote:You mean you really were not paying attention when all this happened? The essentials were along the following lines, as I recall:

Thank you for filling me in. No, I had not heard about this incident. I suppose that my real life often takes precedence over what is happening on this board and/or the MAD board. :rolleyes:

Was there really a need for you to begin your reply to me with an insult?
So you're chasing around a fly and in your world, I'm the idiot?

"Friends don't let friends be Mormon." Sock Puppet, MDB.

Music is my drug of choice.

"And that is precisely why none of us apologize for holding it to the celestial standard it pretends that it possesses." Kerry, MDB

Post by _Jesse Pinkman »

Quasimodo wrote:

No one said it was a good way to journal, just that it was his way to journal. :lol:

Posted from my living room in my new house. :biggrin:
So you're chasing around a fly and in your world, I'm the idiot?

"Friends don't let friends be Mormon." Sock Puppet, MDB.

Music is my drug of choice.

"And that is precisely why none of us apologize for holding it to the celestial standard it pretends that it possesses." Kerry, MDB

Post by _sock puppet »

Chap wrote:
Everybody Wang Chung wrote:Lying about Professor Robert Ritner and the reasons he removed himself from John Gee's dissertation committee (which ultimately resulted in Professor Ritner telling DCP to cease or he would take legal action)

The essentials were along the following lines, as I recall:

(a) Ritner let it be known that he had criticisms of Gee's Mormon-related Egyptology. He mentioned that, unlike his other former PhD students, Gee did not ask for his advice on his work at draft stage before publication.

(b) DCP weighed in, in a mode with which many of us are familar, hinting that those aware of the reasons for which Ritner was 'removed from Gee's PhD committee' would know what value, if any, was to be placed on Ritner's criticisms. Many understood these posts as intended to suggest that Ritner had acted improperly towards his student Gee on the grounds of religious prejudice, and had thus been removed from the committee by the Yale university authorities.

(c) It then became known that Ritner had in fact resigned from Gee's committee rather than being removed, and that he had apparently done so because he did not feel able to take part in deliberations which might result in giving approval to Gee's work. And when Ritner became aware of DCP's attempts to suggest that he had acted improperly, he took legal action to ensure that DCP ceased to speak and write in a way that spread rumors that might damage his (Ritner's) professional reputation.

(d) Since then we have seen publication of Ritner's major book on the Joseph Smith papyri, which has established his scholarly authority on that topic in a way that no Mormon scholar seems likely to match.

That's a succinct recitation of what I recall too, except I thought the legal action was just threatened rather than actually taken. Of course, there were twists, turns and intrigues, but that sums it up nicely.
_Chap
_Emeritus

Post by _Chap »

Jesse Pinkman wrote:
Chap wrote:You mean you really were not paying attention when all this happened? The essentials were along the following lines, as I recall:

Thank you for filling me in. No, I had not heard about this incident. I suppose that my real life often takes precedence over what is happening on this board and/or the MAD board. :rolleyes:

Was there really a need for you to begin your reply to me with an insult?

Well, take it rather as an expression of my vague sense of puzzlement that a major DCP-related event had passed you by.

I now appreciate that your 'CFR' was simply a request for information, but there is Another Place known to us both where the 'CFR' tactic is used as a way to stop people being able to refer to very well-known matters without having to cite reams and reams of references, which references may themselves be subject to further demands and so on. E.G.

'Joseph Smith used to earn money as a treasure seeker'

'CFR'

'Oh come on, everybody knows that, surely? Is there any question about it?'

'MOD WRITING IN RED: Thread closed. We are not interested in hearing baseless assertions here.'

But I realize that was not what you meant.
Zadok:
I did not have a faith crisis. I discovered that the Church was having a truth crisis.
Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.
_Tator
_Emeritus

Post by _Tator »

Maybe it is just me but lots of times when I am reminded of :

Some how in the back of my mind I get an image of:

a.k.a. Pokatator joined Oct 26, 2006 and permanently banned from MAD Nov 6, 2006
"Stop being such a damned coward and use your real name to own your position."
"That's what he gets for posting in his own name."
2 different threads same day 2 hours apart Yohoo Bat 12/1/2015
_sock puppet
_Emeritus

Post by _sock puppet »

Tator wrote:Maybe it is just me but lots of times when I am reminded of :

Some how in the back of my mind I get an image of:

Yeah, I hadn't thought of that but they look like bros.