Oaks complains about the Christmas cards he gets

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Lemmie
_Emeritus

Re: Oaks complains about the Christmas cards he gets

Post by _Lemmie »

MissTish wrote:Episcopalians are just Catholic lite. All of the pageantry, half of the guilt.

:lol: and since I ditched my guilt when I left Mormonism, I am thoroughly enjoying guilt-free Catholicism.

Must be why I spent so much time in the Cathedral while in school-I felt right at home with those heathenous Episcopalians!
_MissTish
_Emeritus

Post by _MissTish »

I didn't realize there was Mormon guilt until I found this place. Before that I thought Catholics and Jews had the market cornered. :wink:

I managed to mostly escape Catholic guilt, it's not too bad for Italian Catholics. Deep in our hearts we're all still Pagans. I'm stereotyping, but there's quite a bit of truth in it.

A favorite Catholic joke:
People like Coldplay and voted for the Nazis. You can't trust people, Jeremy.- Super Hans

We must respect the other fellow's religion, but only in the sense and to the extent that we respect his theory that his wife is beautiful and his children smart.- H. L. Mencken
_Lemmie
_Emeritus

Post by _Lemmie »

MissTish wrote:I didn't realize there was Mormon guilt until I found this place. Before that I thought Catholics and Jews had the market cornered. :wink:

I managed to mostly escape Catholic guilt, it's not too bad for Italian Catholics. Deep in our hearts we're all still Pagans. I'm stereotyping, but there's quite a bit of truth in it.

A favorite Catholic joke:

I love it!

My catholic husband likes to talk about Catholic guilt, but I didn't notice any ...ahem 'guilt' equivalent to or even anywhere near the specificity of the residual Mormon guilt I was still dealing with when we started fooling around.
_I have a question
_Emeritus

Post by _I have a question »

I wonder if Oaks analyses the wrapping paper on his presents to see if they are religious or Santanic themed?
Can you buy Baby Jesus wrapping paper?
“When we are confronted with evidence that challenges our deeply held beliefs we are more likely to reframe the evidence than we are to alter our beliefs. We simply invent new reasons, new justifications, new explanations. Sometimes we ignore the evidence altogether.” (Mathew Syed 'Black Box Thinking')
_Tator
_Emeritus

Post by _Tator »

MissTish wrote:Episcopalians are just Catholic lite. All of the pageantry, half of the guilt.

I've always said that Lutherans were non-union Catholics.
a.k.a. Pokatator joined Oct 26, 2006 and permanently banned from MAD Nov 6, 2006
"Stop being such a damned coward and use your real name to own your position."
"That's what he gets for posting in his own name."
2 different threads same day 2 hours apart Yohoo Bat 12/1/2015
_MissTish
_Emeritus

Post by _MissTish »

Tator wrote:
I've always said that Lutherans were non-union Catholics.

:lol:

People like Coldplay and voted for the Nazis. You can't trust people, Jeremy.- Super Hans

We must respect the other fellow's religion, but only in the sense and to the extent that we respect his theory that his wife is beautiful and his children smart.- H. L. Mencken
_Sethbag
_Emeritus

Post by _Sethbag »

consiglieri wrote:
Sethbag wrote:This is just holier-than-thou posturing, period.

Why didn't Elder Oaks talk about the Christmas cards he sends out?

Maybe his secretary didn't show him which cards had been sent out on his behalf.
Mormonism ceased being a compelling topic for me when I finally came to terms with its transformation from a personality cult into a combination of a real estate company, a SuperPac, and Westboro Baptist Church. - Kishkumen
_sock puppet
_Emeritus

Post by _sock puppet »

Sammy Jankins wrote:Image

Well, that does it. I'm not sending that ingrate anymore Christmas cards. Done. Finito. In future years, Oaks can bitch that I don't send him any Christmas cards at all.
_I have a question
_Emeritus

Post by _I have a question »

sock puppet wrote:Well, that does it. I'm not sending that ingrate anymore Christmas cards. Done. Finito. In future years, Oaks can bitch that I don't send him any Christmas cards at all.

Or......
“When we are confronted with evidence that challenges our deeply held beliefs we are more likely to reframe the evidence than we are to alter our beliefs. We simply invent new reasons, new justifications, new explanations. Sometimes we ignore the evidence altogether.” (Mathew Syed 'Black Box Thinking')