Oaks complains about the Christmas cards he gets

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Jonah
_Emeritus

Re: Oaks complains about the Christmas cards he gets

Post by _Jonah »

Whew!! Growing up in the church I was always told that the G.A.'s were "SO BUSY", even so much that they didn't have time to respond to correspondence from members. Good to see that Oaks had some spare time for the really important task of analyzing his Christmas cards.
Red flags look normal when you're wearing rose colored glasses.
_ludwigm
_Emeritus

Post by _ludwigm »

From that entry by Dallin H. Oaks:
"For Latter-day Saints, Christmas should be a time to celebrate the birth of the Son of God..."
From Elder David A. Bednar's 2014 April conference talk:
"Today is April 6. We know by revelation that today is the actual and accurate date of the Savior’s birth." ***

Some correlation, if I may ask...
Do wannabe mopologists produce seven different explanations of unexplainable stupidities contradictions? OK.
They have limited understanding.
See ("Forget everything that I have said, or what President Brigham Young or George Q. Cannon or whoever has said in days past that is contrary to the present revelation. We spoke with a limited understanding and without the light and knowledge that now has come into the world." by Bruce R. McConkie)

But prophets, seers and revelators?
Oaks and Bednar say different thruths. McConkie talks about limited understanding.
Who I am to interpret these things?

Or unleash my associations...

--------------------------------------
From the article:
(See D&C 20:1; Harold B. Lee, “Strengthen the Stakes of Zion,” Ensign, July 1973, 2; Spencer W. Kimball, “Why Call Me Lord, Lord, and Do Not the Things Which I Say?” Ensign, May 1975, 4; Spencer W. Kimball, “Remarks and Dedication of the Fayette, New York, Buildings,” Ensign, May 1980, 54; Discourses of President Gordon B. Hinckley, Volume 1: 1995–1999 [2005], 409.)
- Whenever a poet or preacher, chief or wizard spouts gibberish, the human race spends centuries deciphering the message. - Umberto Eco
- To assert that the earth revolves around the sun is as erroneous as to claim that Jesus was not born of a virgin. - Cardinal Bellarmine at the trial of Galilei
_kairos
_Emeritus

Post by _kairos »

So the oakster is bitchin about the Christmas cards he gets- good thing he was not a friend of the general I worked for- major general George S Patton son of the infamous patton of wwII fame. my general patton and wife sent our their 1968/9 Christmas card with "peace on earth " on the front and lo inside was a picture /photo of a stack of dead vc/nva soldiers piled about 20 feet high. I am sure elder oaks would not have received that card well- patton got taken to the woodshed by 4 star bruce palmer us army Vietnam deputy commander over it as I recall.

now someone chase down the oh so pious religious card the oakman has been sending out- probably got temples galore all over them and what else do you think maybe a salamander representing the spirit or happy b'day jesus.

seriously maklin should be able to post a few GA cards that are floating around the COB- I am sure they are spirit filled gems.

just sayin
k
_I have a question
_Emeritus

Post by _I have a question »

"His life has had greater impact on every part of the world and its history than any life ever lived."

Really?

Mormons Leaders believe, and have publicly stated, that it is only they who know the real Jesus. Everyone else is mistaken about Him. Is that the impact Oaks is claiming, one of mistaken identity?
“When we are confronted with evidence that challenges our deeply held beliefs we are more likely to reframe the evidence than we are to alter our beliefs. We simply invent new reasons, new justifications, new explanations. Sometimes we ignore the evidence altogether.” (Mathew Syed 'Black Box Thinking')
_Doctor CamNC4Me
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor CamNC4Me »

Brad Hudson wrote:That's it. He's off my Christmas card list. Ingrate.

Exactly! Way to turn a positive into a steaming pile of narcissism Mr. Oaks!

- Doc
In the face of madness, rationality has no power - Xiao Wang, US historiographer, 2287 AD.

Every record...falsified, every book rewritten...every statue...has been renamed or torn down, every date...altered...the process is continuing...minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Ideology is always right.
_I have a question
_Emeritus

Post by _I have a question »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Brad Hudson wrote:That's it. He's off my Christmas card list. Ingrate.

Exactly! Way to turn a positive into a steaming pile of narcissism Mr. Oaks!

- Doc

Imagine you were an acquaintance of Oaks reading that and had sent him a seasonal, but non religious Christmas Card. Ingrate is exactly the right terminology.

Perhaps in October say, Oaks should send his Rolodex some instructions about criteria to be used in selecting an appropriate Christmas Card to send him. (Bet he spent all the non religious gift cards though).
“When we are confronted with evidence that challenges our deeply held beliefs we are more likely to reframe the evidence than we are to alter our beliefs. We simply invent new reasons, new justifications, new explanations. Sometimes we ignore the evidence altogether.” (Mathew Syed 'Black Box Thinking')
_Doctor CamNC4Me
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor CamNC4Me »

I have a question wrote:"His life has had greater impact on every part of the world and its history than any life ever lived."

Really?

Mormons Leaders believe, and have publicly stated, that it is only they who know the real Jesus. Everyone else is mistaken about Him. Is that the impact Oaks is claiming, one of mistaken identity?

You know. I really hate that when you have a man like Norman Borlaug who has probably saved, easily, over a billion lives through his lifetime's work. Hands down one of the greatest, and most humble men ever to live, who has done real work, expressed real concern, demonstrated real compassion, and we keep having to hear about some worry-about-the-afterlife Jesus.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norman_Borlaug

Fegh. Oaks. Asshole.

- Doc
In the face of madness, rationality has no power - Xiao Wang, US historiographer, 2287 AD.

Every record...falsified, every book rewritten...every statue...has been renamed or torn down, every date...altered...the process is continuing...minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Ideology is always right.
_Sammy Jankins
_Emeritus

Post by _Sammy Jankins »

Someone needs to pull Oaks aside and teach him a lesson that parents have to teach their young children ocassionally. When you get a card or gift the correct procedure is to say thank you and appreciate that someone made the effort. You don't go onto your public social media page and complain about the kind of cards you received.

But this is the Mormonism I remember: Hey you know this completley innocuous thing you're doing? You should guility that you aren't doing it Mormon enough!
_zeezrom
_Emeritus

Post by _zeezrom »

As Jonah said, this guy must be extremely bored. After counting them, he probably stacked the cards on his table to make a huge structure and then blew it up by launching little office supplies with rubber bands. "Take that you great and spacious building! How do you like the Lord's wrath, ha ha ha ha!"
Oh for shame, how the mortals put the blame on us gods, for they say evils come from us, but it is they, rather, who by their own recklessness win sorrow beyond what is given... Zeus (1178 BC)

The Holy Sacrament.
_hagoth7
_Emeritus

Post by _hagoth7 »

Sammy Jankins wrote:Someone needs to pull Oaks aside and teach him a lesson that parents have to teach their young children ocassionally. When you get a card or gift the correct procedure is to say thank you and appreciate that someone made the effort. You don't go onto your public social media page and complain about the kind of cards you received.

But this is the Mormonism I remember: Hey you know this completley innocuous thing you're doing? You should guility that you aren't doing it Mormon enough!

Again. Meyers Briggs. Food for thought...

The man *was* a state supreme court judge. Suggesting he may also have a similar temperament (judging) in order to even accept such a seat on the bench is reasonable.

So is there a reason there should be any surprise that he comes across a bit...on the judgmental side of the spectrum? Color *me* not surprised. That is likely in his wiring, otherwise he would have likely pursued a different career.

Sammy, as to the issue in your final paragraph of judgmental issues being pervasive elsewhere in the church, it's true, but no more true there than it is anywhere else . The only difference being, in the church, those on the judgmental side of the spectrum are more often called to positions of trust than are others. Same is true in many businesses.

We can cry foul. Or we can simply acknowledge that such is the way of things.
Last edited by Guest on Wed Dec 16, 2015 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Joseph Smith: "I don't blame any one for not believing my history. If I had not experienced what I have, I would not have believed it myself."
https://www.lds.org/scriptures/Book of Mormon/alm ... ang=eng#20
Red pill: https://www.lds.org/scriptures/New Testament/acts/ ... ang=eng#10
Blue pill: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5NNOrp_83RU