Latest Numbers from the Interpreter Foundation

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Kishkumen
God

Re: Latest Numbers from the Interpreter Foundation

Post by Kishkumen »

Dr Moore wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:06 pm
If there happens to be an easter egg in the book about a dopey young student barging in his office while the book was being researched, then both beers are on me.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

You remember your Nibley tropes pretty well, Dean Robbers! Much better than I do. It was humbling for me to realize that the last time I really sat down to read Nibley I was a BYU student. I have read the odd chapter here or there over the years, but my Nibley knowledge is pretty rusty.
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
Physics Guy
God

Post by Physics Guy »

A nibbly knowledge is a dangerous one;
Bite big or taste not the Pierian bun.
I was a teenager before it was cool.
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

Physics Guy wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 2:40 pm
A nibbly knowledge is a dangerous one;
Bite big or taste not the Pierian bun.

LOL!!!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Well played, PG.
Lem
God

Post by Lem »

IHAQ wrote:
Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:09 am
Lem wrote:
Fri Apr 09, 2021 6:40 pm
Wow, Tom. Is this the first quarter missed in six years since the Interpreter started paying for Volume 3? Do you think it is related to the multiple retractions recently posted? The planned parts of volume 3, including the official retractions, haven't all been published yet, If I recall correctly.
Tom wrote:
Fri Apr 09, 2021 7:11 pm
Lem, yes to your first question. I don't know the answer to your next question. There is a possibility that the Foundation is continuing to fund the Project but has simply reclassified the expenses as "Book Projects and Conferences" in the latest statement.
Do we know whose books are being funded under "book projects"?
The Midgley book was printed out as gifts for his celebration, If I recall correctly, maybe that is part.
Tom
Area Authority

Post by Tom »

Lem wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 7:27 pm
IHAQ wrote:
Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:09 am
Do we know whose books are being funded under "book projects"?
The Midgley book was printed out as gifts for his celebration, If I recall correctly, maybe that is part.
Yes. Interpreter is pushing out a number of books this year: https://interpreterfoundation.org/books/. I must admit that I'm looking forward to the appearance of the hardbound version of Remembrance and Return, and I would love to see the publication of a coffee-table book to go along with Witnesses. While we're on that topic, I'm pleased to report that my local movie theater (in downtown Chicken Creek [Utah]) has booked Witnesses for mid-June.
“But if you are told by your leader to do a thing, do it. None of your business whether it is right or wrong.” Heber C. Kimball, 8 Nov. 1857
Morley
God

Post by Morley »

bad pun deleted
Tom
Area Authority

Post by Tom »

While enjoying a scrumptious brunch early this afternoon at the Primitive Waffle Cavé in Parowan in the good company of the Relief Society sister in Parowan and the old High Priest in Ogden, I suddenly realized that I've neglected to keep up with the latest numbers from the Interpreter Foundation. (By the way, I had the Tarzan, a delicious waffle topped with avocado, tomato, sprouts, everything seasoning, and hemp seeds, and washed it down with a house-made peach soda.)

I came to this sudden realization after the Relief Society sister asked me if I had any information about the budget for the Interpreter Foundation's upcoming feature film, Six Days in August. (She's donated most of her life savings to help fund the quasi-historical drama.) I quickly checked the Foundation's website and found the Foundation has not posted any expense reports for any part of 2023. The Relief Society Sister didn't seem pleased with the lack of transparency; however, she seemed to enjoy eating an Omega, which consists of wild-caught sustainable albacore tuna on a waffle with various toppings, and sipping on a black cherry Izze. Meanwhile, the old High Priest, a real foodie, feasted on the Tenacious G, a garlic waffle with a fried egg, bacon, sauteed super greens, tomato, and garlic goat cheese spread, and downed a strawberry Waterloo.

I mentioned Louis Midgley's curious review during brunch. I believe my two friends plan to read it tonight.

ETA: Reading my comment above dated April 16, 2021, I realized that I am still looking forward to the appearance of the hardbound version of Remembrance and Return. Is it out yet?

Life is good.

Posted from Parowan, Utah
“But if you are told by your leader to do a thing, do it. None of your business whether it is right or wrong.” Heber C. Kimball, 8 Nov. 1857
Everybody Wang Chung
God

Post by Everybody Wang Chung »

Tom wrote:
Fri Jul 14, 2023 11:07 pm
While enjoying a scrumptious brunch early this afternoon at the Primitive Waffle Cavé in Parowan in the good company of the Relief Society sister in Parowan and the old High Priest in Ogden, I suddenly realized that I've neglected to keep up with the latest numbers from the Interpreter Foundation. (By the way, I had the Tarzan, a delicious waffle topped with avocado, tomato, sprouts, everything seasoning, and hemp seeds, and washed it down with a house-made peach soda.)

I came to this sudden realization after the Relief Society sister asked me if I had any information about the budget for the Interpreter Foundation's upcoming feature film, Six Days in August. (She's donated most of her life savings to help fund the quasi-historical drama.) I quickly checked the Foundation's website and found the Foundation has not posted any expense reports for any part of 2023. The Relief Society Sister didn't seem pleased with the lack of transparency; however, she seemed to enjoy eating an Omega, which consists of wild-caught sustainable albacore tuna on a waffle with various toppings, and sipping on a black cherry Izze. Meanwhile, the old High Priest, a real foodie, feasted on the Tenacious G, a garlic waffle with a fried egg, bacon, sauteed super greens, tomato, and garlic goat cheese spread, and downed a strawberry Waterloo.

I mentioned Louis Midgley's curious review during brunch. I believe my two friends plan to read it tonight.

ETA: Reading my comment above dated April 16, 2021, I realized that I am still looking forward to the appearance of the hardbound version of Remembrance and Return. Is it out yet?

Life is good.

Tom,

I'm still anxiously waiting for Remembrance and Return too.

Based on your recommendation, I stopped by this delightful restaurant today. The dishes were beautiful, and every bite was heavenly. I had the seasonal house salad with ranch dressing and grated Velveeta cheese. The lettuce and single cherry tomato were so colorful and vibrant, as if they were pulled from a Jon McNaughton painting and plated.

I also ordered the bacon-beef pizza. The complexity of the flavor profiles were impeccable and indescribably delicious. I paired my lunch with the triple cottage cheese and pear salad, and it was celestially divine.

My diet Mr. Pibb with a large lemon slice did not go unnoticed and the whisper of saccharine sweetness and touch of citrus was the perfect balance to the savory entrée. I even asked our lovely server/cook/owner, Mavis, if she could prepare another bacon-beef pizza for me to enjoy on my drive home and Mavis did so without hesitation. It was delectable. I cannot recommend this jewel of Parowan enough. An exceptional culinary experience is waiting for you just 234 miles from SLC. Merci Beaucoup to Mavis for her talent and hospitality!

"I'm on paid sabbatical from BYU in exchange for my promise to use this time to finish two books."

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014
Tom
Area Authority

Post by Tom »

Everybody Wang Chung wrote:
Sat Jul 15, 2023 11:13 pm
Tom wrote:
Fri Jul 14, 2023 11:07 pm

Life is good.

Tom,

I'm still anxiously waiting for Remembrance and Return too.

Based on your recommendation, I stopped by this delightful restaurant today. The dishes were beautiful, and every bite was heavenly. I had the seasonal house salad with ranch dressing and grated Velveeta cheese. The lettuce and single cherry tomato were so colorful and vibrant, as if they were pulled from a Jon McNaughton painting and plated.

I also ordered the bacon-beef pizza. The complexity of the flavor profiles were impeccable and indescribably delicious. I paired my lunch with the triple cottage cheese and pear salad, and it was celestially divine.

My diet Mr. Pibb with a large lemon slice did not go unnoticed and the whisper of saccharine sweetness and touch of citrus was the perfect balance to the savory entrée. I even asked our lovely server/cook/owner, Mavis, if she could prepare another bacon-beef pizza for me to enjoy on my drive home and Mavis did so without hesitation. It was delectable. I cannot recommend this jewel of Parowan enough. An exceptional culinary experience is waiting for you just 234 miles from SLC. Merci Beaucoup to Mavis for her talent and hospitality!

Ah, yes, your lovely descriptions possess a grandeur that instantly transports me back to the gastronomic delights of bucolic Parowan (a Paiute word meaning “evil water”). Given what I know about your fluency in French, I must ask whether you had a chance to have a conversation in français with Mavis, whose flawless speech has led many in France to conclude that’s she a native.

I should mention that after our brunch in Parowan, the three of us took a stroll through what is often called the “Mother Town of the Southwest,” owing to the fact that many Latter-day Saint pioneers departed from Parowan to begin new communities in southern Utah, Colorado, Nevada, Arizona, and even so far as Wyoming and Oregon. Parowan, of course, was founded on 13 January 1851—about a year after Elder Parley P. Pratt and members of his exploring party discovered the Little Salt Lake Valley and nearby deposits of iron ore in the Iron Mountain District. As you will recall, Elder Pratt, who, incidentally is my wife’s great-great-great grandfather, had raised a liberty pole at Heap's Spring on 8 January 1850 and dedicated the site under the name "The City of Little Salt Lake.”

I bought a number of exemplars of modern Finnish speculative fiction (including several important works by Pasi Ilmari Jääskeläinen) in a wonderful independent bookshop at the end of town and then we stopped by the Parowan Dairy Freeze for dipped date-flavored ice-cream cones at the end of our walk. Along the way, I pointed out some very faint three-toed Hadrosaur tracks to my friends.

Posted from Joseph, Utah (which was actually named for Joseph Angell Young)