Will you burn at the 2nd Coming?

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_MetalSlasher
_Emeritus

Will you burn at the 2nd Coming?

Post by _MetalSlasher »

Yes or no?
_I have a question
_Emeritus

Re: Will you burn at the 2nd Coming?

Post by _I have a question »

No. I'll be long dead.
“When we are confronted with evidence that challenges our deeply held beliefs we are more likely to reframe the evidence than we are to alter our beliefs. We simply invent new reasons, new justifications, new explanations. Sometimes we ignore the evidence altogether.” (Mathew Syed 'Black Box Thinking')
_Tobin
_Emeritus

Post by _Tobin »

It depends. If the 2nd coming is simply first contact, I doubt it. I really don't see the point of burning up a civilization you are interested in contacting. Now if they want to take us out, dropping a big enough rock on us should do the trick.
"You lack vision, but I see a place where people get on and off the freeway. On and off, off and on all day, all night.... Tire salons, automobile dealerships and wonderful, wonderful billboards reaching as far as the eye can see. My God, it'll be beautiful." -- Judge Doom
_Doctor CamNC4Me
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor CamNC4Me »

I'm sorry. When is it again?

- Doc
In the face of madness, rationality has no power - Xiao Wang, US historiographer, 2287 AD.

Every record...falsified, every book rewritten...every statue...has been renamed or torn down, every date...altered...the process is continuing...minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Ideology is always right.
_spotlight
_Emeritus

Post by _spotlight »

We'll know the real Jesus from these fakes because he will be wielding a flame thrower.
http://www.toptenz.net/top-10-people-cl ... christ.php
Kolob’s set time is “one thousand years according to the time appointed unto that whereon thou standest” (Abraham 3:4). I take this as a round number. - Gee
_Maksutov
_Emeritus

Post by _Maksutov »

Only if I contract a STD. :lol: :lol: :lol:
"God" is the original deus ex machina. --Maksutov
_DrW
_Emeritus

Post by _DrW »

Will you Gnarfle the Garthok?

Yes or no?

My question makes exactly as much sense as that posed in the OP, and we even know what a Garthok looks like - so there's that.
David Hume: "---Mistakes in philosophy are merely ridiculous, those in religion are dangerous."

DrW: "Mistakes in science are learning opportunities and are eventually corrected."
_Maksutov
_Emeritus

Post by _Maksutov »

DrW wrote:Will you Gnarfle the Garthok?

Yes or no?

My question makes exactly as much sense as that posed in the OP, and we even know what a Garthok looks like - so there's that.

Some people get offended when you laugh at their theology. I find rapture movies hilarious. Especially those ones that have little vignettes where The Atheist or The Jew or The Intellectual fall to their knees and confess that Jeebus is the Cripes. :lol:
"God" is the original deus ex machina. --Maksutov
_Fence Sitter
_Emeritus

Post by _Fence Sitter »

What does it say about a belief system whose adherents believe non-believers will suffer this kind of fate at the hands of their deity.

MetalSlasher,

Do you believe in a God who would do such a thing?

Yes or No?
"Any over-ritualized religion since the dawn of time can make its priests say yes, we know, it is rotten, and hard luck, but just do as we say, keep at the ritual, stick it out, give us your money and you'll end up with the angels in heaven for evermore."
_AmyJo
_Emeritus

Post by _AmyJo »

I believe in the hereafter and life after death. That how you live now will affect where you/me/we spend eternity.

As for Second Coming, that's hearsay.

The hereafter is as real as our gaseous spirit matter bodies are - where our spirits will be sent to will depend on our lives here and now.

Our spirits took up residence in these mortal shells we call our bodies. Where we go after we die just picture that our souls will take up residence wherever or whatever we are called to be in our new homes.

We will carry the conscious energy we take with us when we die to the next realm.

Judgment is just something we will experience in the transition from death to the next world. The second coming is a euphemism for life after life.

For those who deserve to go to hell, well they didn't pass go, and did not get the "get out of jail free" card because they took the wrong turn.

Hopefully we won't see each other in hell but in paradise, on that great and terrible day. :lol: