Swedenborg and Joseph Smith

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_I have a question
_Emeritus

Re: Swedenborg and Joseph Smith

Post by _I have a question »

Everybody Wang Chung wrote:I'm just glad Joseph didn't "borrow" anything from those weird Masons.

*ahem* you may wish to sit down, I have news for....
“When we are confronted with evidence that challenges our deeply held beliefs we are more likely to reframe the evidence than we are to alter our beliefs. We simply invent new reasons, new justifications, new explanations. Sometimes we ignore the evidence altogether.” (Mathew Syed 'Black Box Thinking')
_mentalgymnast
_Emeritus

Post by _mentalgymnast »

Hi Sanctorian,

After looking at your OP yesterday it got me thinking...wondering where I'd read about this before...but I couldn't find a familiar source in Dialogue or Sunstone. Those two periodicals are the ones I probably spent the most time with over the years. But I did find this:

https://rsc.byu.edu/archived/selected-a ... section-76

Apparently Joseph was potentially influenced by a number of different sources. The two primary ones seeming to be Sidney Rigdon...who was directly influenced by Swedenborg...and the New Testament.

Anyway, thought you might enjoy this article. I think it is fairly well reasoned/balanced.

There isn't any argument, from most folks that are 'in the know' that Joseph was a synthesizer. He saw what was around him and molded it to fit within the 'restoration'. Masonry being another example someone already mentioned.

Regards,
MG
_mentalgymnast
_Emeritus

Post by _mentalgymnast »

Everybody Wang Chung wrote:I'm just glad Joseph didn't "borrow" anything from those weird Masons.

But we know he did, don't we? Is that in and of itself a 'problem'?

Regards,
MG
_Doctor CamNC4Me
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor CamNC4Me »

mentalgymnast wrote:

But we know he did, don't we? Is that in and of itself a 'problem'?

Regards,
MG

Only if you're interested in establishing his modus operandi.

- Doc
In the face of madness, rationality has no power - Xiao Wang, US historiographer, 2287 AD.

Every record...falsified, every book rewritten...every statue...has been renamed or torn down, every date...altered...the process is continuing...minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Ideology is always right.
_MetalSlasher
_Emeritus

Post by _MetalSlasher »

I would be okay if Joseph Smith and Swedenborg were wrong about 3 different kingdoms in heaven because that would mean there would be 1 heaven where more people can enjoy each other's company without being separated. But what did Jesus mean when he said in my Father's house are many mansions?
_CameronMO
_Emeritus

Post by _CameronMO »

Joseph certainly knew of Swedenborg

First, the Prophet apparently mentioned Swedenborg by name during an 1839 conversation with Edward Hunter, a student of Swedenborg-ianism who later became a Latter-day Saint. Hunter had established a seminary dedicated to the free exchange of religious ideas, and when Joseph Smith stopped at this Nantmeal Seminary in Pennsylvania during a return trip from Washington DC, Hunter reported this exchange: “I asked him if he was acquainted with the Sweadenburgers. His answer I verially believe. ‘Emanuel Sweadenburg had a view of the world to come but for daily food he perished.’” [9]

https://rsc.byu.edu/archived/selected-a ... section-76
Trimble, you ignorant sack of rhinoceros puss. The only thing more obvious than your lack of education is the foul stench that surrounds you.
_sock puppet
_Emeritus

Post by _sock puppet »

MetalSlasher wrote:I would be okay if Joseph Smith and Swedenborg were wrong about 3 different kingdoms in heaven because that would mean there would be 1 heaven where more people can enjoy each other's company without being separated. But what did Jesus mean when he said in my Father's house are many mansions?

That there's room for all in Jesus' Father's house. That seems more congruent with Jesus' message of redemption than does a heaven stratified as Swedenborg and then JSJr claimed.
_MetalSlasher
_Emeritus

Post by _MetalSlasher »

sock puppet wrote:
MetalSlasher wrote:I would be okay if Joseph Smith and Swedenborg were wrong about 3 different kingdoms in heaven because that would mean there would be 1 heaven where more people can enjoy each other's company without being separated. But what did Jesus mean when he said in my Father's house are many mansions?

That there's room for all in Jesus' Father's house. That seems more congruent with Jesus' message of redemption than does a heaven stratified as Swedenborg and then JSJr claimed.

And I would be fine with that too. Just as long as there's a heaven I'll be happy.
_son of Ishmael
_Emeritus

Post by _son of Ishmael »

MetalSlasher wrote:What if both Swedenborg and Joseph Smith are right? Enjoy eternity in the Telestial Kingdom while all the righteous will be chilling in the 3rd highest degree of the Celestial Kingdom. It's your soul and eternity. Try to be good.

Most people are generally good. They just don't know any funny handshakes and wear weird underwear. So if there are three kingdoms and the only people in the top one are funny handshaking, weird underwear wearing types of people, then I'm ok being somewhere else.
I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use. - Galileo

Yeah, well, that's just, like, your opinion, man. - The Dude

Don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just god when he's drunk - Tom Waits
_Enzo the Baker
_Emeritus

Post by _Enzo the Baker »

MetalSlasher said:
And I would be fine with that too. Just as long as there's a heaven I'll be happy.

I've got some bad news for you.