bcspace?

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Re: bcspace?

Post by _Jersey Girl »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Oh. Well. I retract my statement then! I think the other posters on this board are probably spot on.

- Doc

Maybe he's hugging a tree over on MD&D.
;-)
Failure is not falling down but refusing to get up.
Chinese Proverb
_Sanctorian
_Emeritus

Post by _Sanctorian »

Jersey Girl wrote:
I have a question wrote:FTR: if someone did bring bcspace in real life to the board, then they are a dick and they need banning.
I also hope he is okay in real life.

If?

Two people on this thread have already confirmed it.

If he's posting on other boards using his same avatar, it would seem to be another reason other than someone posting in real life information. I'm leaning more towards the release of the essays being the reason. Or, maybe it's the BSA allowing gay leadership. Just throwing out another idea we can all speculate on.

Here's to BC returning to just tell us why he left so we can end the speculation.
I'm a Ziontologist. I self identify as such.
_Lemmie
_Emeritus

Post by _Lemmie »

Chap wrote:A problem for this board is that, given the nature of the truth claims of the CoJCoLDS (basically, that where those claims refer to the real world they are often untrue, and capable of being shown to a high degree of plausibility to be untrue), it is impossible for this to be a friendly environment for a TBM who comes here to argue what he or she supposes to be a compelling and evidence-based case for the church's claims. Unless, that is, other posters restrict themselves to saying no more than 'you don't say?' and 'how about that?'. Once you engage them effectively and argue back, they are not going to end up happy with the result. How could they?

Sort of a case in point: mentalgymnast and his default disingenuousness as he tries to pretend he has a compelling and evidence-based case. Additionally, his recent extremely pouty unhappiness at having his intellectual dishonesty responded to with more than 'you don't say?' His main issues, in my opinion, are academic rather than religious, however.

But parts of his example show how difficult it is becoming to realistically support a pro-lds factual argument in a legitimate setting. The Jenkins-Hamblin exchange was quite prescient in predicting the process and outcomes of these types of exchanges.
Last edited by Guest on Wed May 11, 2016 1:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
_Dr Exiled
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr Exiled »

Lemmie wrote:
Chap wrote:A problem for this board is that, given the nature of the truth claims of the CoJCoLDS (basically, that where those claims refer to the real world they are often untrue, and capable of being shown to a high degree of plausibility to be untrue), it is impossible for this to be a friendly environment for a TBM who comes here to argue what he or she supposes to be a compelling and evidence-based case for the church's claims. Unless, that is, other posters restrict themselves to saying no more than 'you don't say?' and 'how about that?'. Once you engage them effectively and argue back, they are not going to end up happy with the result. How could they?

Case in point: mentalgymnast and his default disingenuousness as he tries to pretend he has a compelling and evidence-based case. Additionally, his recent extremely pouty unhappiness at having his intellectual dishonesty responded to with more than 'you don't say?'

His example definitely shows how difficult it is becoming to realistically support a pro-lds factual argument in a legitimate setting. The Jenkins-Hamblin exchange was quite prescient in predicting the process and outcomes of these types of exchanges.

Yes it was. And still Hamblin is no where to be seen.
"Religion is about providing human community in the guise of solving problems that don’t exist or failing to solve problems that do and seeking to reconcile these contradictions and conceal the failures in bogus explanations otherwise known as theology." - Kishkumen 
_LDSToronto
_Emeritus

Post by _LDSToronto »

BCSpace is dead.

H.
"Others cannot endure their own littleness unless they can translate it into meaningfulness on the largest possible level."
~ Ernest Becker
"Whether you think of it as heavenly or as earthly, if you love life immortality is no consolation for death."
~ Simone de Beauvoir
_Jesse Pinkman
_Emeritus

Post by _Jesse Pinkman »

Madison54 wrote:
Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:BCSpace is probably just taking a break from internetting. I have. I have multiple times. Sometimes you need to unplug and get outside.
- Doc

BCSpace is still posting over on the MD&D board (here's a post from last night):

http://www.mormondialogue.org/topic/675 ... 1209622451

I'm glad that BC is doing well. I have always enjoyed sparring with BC. He is another friend here who I could always agree to disagree with and vice versa. Anyone who really knows BC knows that although he will fight you tooth and nail on doctrinal issues, he is always very willing to break bread afterward. He is a very good man, and has a very talented younger sister who sings opera.
So you're chasing around a fly and in your world, I'm the idiot?

"Friends don't let friends be Mormon." Sock Puppet, MDB.

Music is my drug of choice.

"And that is precisely why none of us apologize for holding it to the celestial standard it pretends that it possesses." Kerry, MDB

Post by _Brackite »

I also miss Rollo Tomasi posting around here.
"And I've said it before, you want to know what Joseph Smith looked like in Nauvoo, just look at Trump." - Fence Sitter
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Post by _Kishkumen »

Brackite wrote:I also miss Rollo Tomasi posting around here.

Hell yes. Rollo Tomasi is one of the board greats. His takedown of the Dehlin hit pieces was epic.
"Petition wasn’t meant to start a witch hunt as I’ve said 6000 times." ~ Hanna Seariac, LDS apologist
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

Jersey Girl wrote:Maybe he's hugging a tree over on MD&D.
;-)

Perhaps one of the three surviving Laminates.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_Lemmie
_Emeritus

Post by _Lemmie »

moksha wrote:
Jersey Girl wrote:Maybe he's hugging a tree over on MD&D.
;-)

Perhaps one of the three surviving Laminates.

Well now that is far more interesting than one of the three surviving Lamanites.