Would it matter if Joseph Smith ate dead babies?

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Polygamy-Porter
_Emeritus

Would it matter if Joseph Smith ate dead babies?

Post by _Polygamy-Porter »

For arguments sake, lets say that historians discovered that Joseph Smith ate the flesh of his deceased babies.

This, of course, would shock non Mormons.

I am curious if it would shock TBMs, and how they would reconcile this new historical fact.

I am sure the monologists would spin it in a way that it makes them feel better. "Abraham was commanded to kill and BBQ his son, annnnnd likely partake of his flesh... so.. meh."
New name: Boaz
The most viewed "ignored" poster in Shady Acres® !
_Dr Exiled
_Emeritus

Re: Would it matter if Joseph Smith ate dead babies?

Post by _Dr Exiled »

TBMS would still believe. It just doesn't matter what is found out about Joseph Smith or the Book of Mormon or anything about the church. These will always be privileged. TBMS gladly give their retirement money to the church in the form of tithing and don't question anything. This is what is so frustrating about dealing with TBMS on the other blog and in person.
Last edited by Guest on Thu Jun 02, 2016 6:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Religion is about providing human community in the guise of solving problems that don’t exist or failing to solve problems that do and seeking to reconcile these contradictions and conceal the failures in bogus explanations otherwise known as theology." - Kishkumen 
_Franktalk
_Emeritus

Post by _Franktalk »

This is interesting. It speaks to idols that some make of their leaders. I have often said if Hillary killed a baby and ate it on stage she would lose almost no one who currently supports her. I used Hillary as an example but I am sure that idol worship is alive and well in the human condition.
_sock puppet
_Emeritus

Post by _sock puppet »

Polygamy-Porter wrote:For arguments sake, lets say that historians discovered that Joseph Smith ate the flesh of his deceased babies.

This, of course, would shock non Mormons.

I am curious if it would shock TBMs, and how they would reconcile this new historical fact.

I am sure the monologists would spin it in a way that it makes them feel better. "Abraham was commanded to kill and BBQ his son, annnnnd likely partake of his flesh... so.. meh."

An indoctrination program like the LDS church is not about the truth, it's about the myths they keep repeating over and over ad nauseum.
_Chap
_Emeritus

Post by _Chap »

Franktalk wrote:This is interesting. It speaks to idols that some make of their leaders. I have often said if Hillary killed a baby and ate it on stage she would lose almost no one who currently supports her. I used Hillary as an example but I am sure that idol worship is alive and well in the human condition.

Maybe. But if that applies to Clinton (and it may or may not), I'd say that the evidence of the campaign so far is that Trump could get away with eating one at each rally. Especially if the babies in question were Mexicans. In fact he would probably gain votes.
Zadok:
I did not have a faith crisis. I discovered that the Church was having a truth crisis.
Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.
_fetchface
_Emeritus

Post by _fetchface »

It's okay because God commanded him to do it. Either that or the historical source is no good.
Ubi Dubium Ibi Libertas
My Blog: http://untanglingmybrain.blogspot.com/
_Finn the human
_Emeritus

Post by _Finn the human »

Using extreme hypotheticals is a fun way to look down our noses at others beliefs. "Well I would never worship a baby eating monster of a prophet. TBM's are such silly-billy's."

One of my favorite hypotheticals that TMB's use on me goes something like this: "Even if Moroni were to appear to you with the gold plates wielding Laban's sword, you still wouldn't believe. You and your science and skepticism. No amount of evidence is good enough for you."
Mathematical!
_spotlight
_Emeritus

Post by _spotlight »

Finn the human wrote:Using extreme hypotheticals is a fun way to look down our noses at others beliefs. "Well I would never worship a baby eating monster of a prophet. TBM's are such silly-billy's."

One of my favorite hypotheticals that TMB's use on me goes something like this: "Even if Moroni were to appear to you with the gold plates wielding Laban's sword, you still wouldn't believe. You and your science and skepticism. No amount of evidence is good enough for you."

Would that be a steel sword or a macuahuitl? And is it gold plates weighing 200lbs now? I wish this could be settled instead of being all over the map among members.
Kolob’s set time is “one thousand years according to the time appointed unto that whereon thou standest” (Abraham 3:4). I take this as a round number. - Gee
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Post by _Kishkumen »

Only if God didn't command him to do it under the threat of an angel with a flaming sword.
"Petition wasn’t meant to start a witch hunt as I’ve said 6000 times." ~ Hanna Seariac, LDS apologist
_just me
_Emeritus

Post by _just me »

I think it would matter more if he ate the flesh of LIVE babies.
~Those who benefit from the status quo always attribute inequities to the choices of the underdog.~Ann Crittenden
~The Goddess is not separate from the world-She is the world and all things in it.~