LDS philosopher Dennis Potter no longer a believer?

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Philo Sofee
_Emeritus

LDS philosopher Dennis Potter no longer a believer?

Post by _Philo Sofee »

I just read this on the other message board and I was just curious if any of you have heard about it.
Dr CamNC4Me
"Dr. Peterson and his Callithumpian cabal of BYU idiots have been marginalized by their own inevitable irrelevancy defending a fraud."
_Fence Sitter
_Emeritus

Re: LDS philosopher Dennis Potter no longer a believer?

Post by _Fence Sitter »

Link?
"Any over-ritualized religion since the dawn of time can make its priests say yes, we know, it is rotten, and hard luck, but just do as we say, keep at the ritual, stick it out, give us your money and you'll end up with the angels in heaven for evermore."
_Polygamy-Porter
_Emeritus

Post by _Polygamy-Porter »

He left ages ago.

He posted his thoughts here, back in December 2013:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=32566&p=781943
New name: Boaz
The most viewed "ignored" poster in Shady Acres® !
_Jesse Pinkman
_Emeritus

Post by _Jesse Pinkman »

Polygamy-Porter wrote:He left ages ago.

He posted his thoughts here, back in December 2013:
http://mormondiscussions.com/phpBB3/vie ... 6&p=781943

That was a very interesting read. He brought up some very valid points. Thanks for finding that, Port! :biggrin:
So you're chasing around a fly and in your world, I'm the idiot?

"Friends don't let friends be Mormon." Sock Puppet, MDB.

Music is my drug of choice.

"And that is precisely why none of us apologize for holding it to the celestial standard it pretends that it possesses." Kerry, MDB

Post by _lostindc »

As we all know here, at least the long-timers, there's pretty much very little chance a person can remain a believer unless they have some sort of mental issue or they are intellectually dishonest.
2019 = #100,000missionariesstrong
_CaliforniaKid
_Emeritus

Post by _CaliforniaKid »

Very interesting news. Was not aware of this. I liked his explanation, too. The sort of moral reasoning that I really resonate with. I too stopped being a Christian largely for moral reasons rather than for historical ones.
_Polygamy-Porter
_Emeritus

Post by _Polygamy-Porter »

lostindc wrote:As we all know here, at least the long-timers, there's pretty much very little chance a person can remain a believer unless they have some sort of mental issue or they are intellectually dishonest.

Or they live in Happy Valley, have kids born, breed, RM'd, and married to the Morg, soon to pop out more cult members, and the only thing that person can do is secretly chug Snapple Iced Tea® from the Provo Costco whilst performing Mental Gymnastics.
New name: Boaz
The most viewed "ignored" poster in Shady Acres® !
_lostindc
_Emeritus

Post by _lostindc »

Polygamy-Porter wrote:
lostindc wrote:As we all know here, at least the long-timers, there's pretty much very little chance a person can remain a believer unless they have some sort of mental issue or they are intellectually dishonest.

Or they live in Happy Valley, have kids born, breed, RM'd, and married to the Morg, soon to pop out more cult members, and the only thing that person can do is secretly chug Snapple Iced Tea® from the Provo Costco whilst performing Mental Gymnastics.

So essentially half of the active Mormons on record?

I can't imagine living in happy valley. I did briefly and it was a nightmare. The state is so god damn beautiful but the people ruin it.
2019 = #100,000missionariesstrong
_Johannes
_Emeritus

Post by _Johannes »

That "anti-testimony" is really interesting. Thanks for linking to it.

The most interesting part was the bit where he links LDS authoritarianism with the ad hominem tactics of apologists. If religious allegiance is basically a matter of believing and obeying a particular person or persons, I suppose it makes sense to conduct apologetics by discrediting individuals on the other side.
_Jesse Pinkman
_Emeritus

Post by _Jesse Pinkman »

Polygamy-Porter wrote:

Lostindc wrote:So essentially half of the active Mormons on record?

I can't imagine living in happy valley. I did briefly and it was a nightmare. The state is so god damn beautiful but the people ruin it.

I endured living in Happy Valley for 8 years. It was sad how different the Church people were in comparison to the Church folks I had grown up with in CA. I couldn't wait to get out of there. The LDS folks in the South at least have manners and actually appreciate what you do in your callings.
So you're chasing around a fly and in your world, I'm the idiot?

"Friends don't let friends be Mormon." Sock Puppet, MDB.

Music is my drug of choice.

"And that is precisely why none of us apologize for holding it to the celestial standard it pretends that it possesses." Kerry, MDB