George Albert Smith vision " They'll die like flies"

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Morley
_Emeritus

Re: George Albert Smith vision " They'll die like flies"

Post by _Morley »

Bgood wrote:Back in the 1950's and earlier when this revelation was recorded "Greek" was a euphemism used in Utah for black.

I kind of doubt this.

Nevertheless, there has, at times, been strong anti-Greek sentiment in Utah. If I remember my history correctly, the Utah KKK targeted Greeks in the 1920s and 30s, warning them to stay away from 'white' women.
_Chap
_Emeritus

Post by _Chap »

This is, as they say, sad stuff.

There are people who still, after so many, many failures through the centuries, trust in the next prophecy of the end of everything?

People can be so very, very dumb.
Zadok:
I did not have a faith crisis. I discovered that the Church was having a truth crisis.
Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.
_bcuzbcuz
_Emeritus

Post by _bcuzbcuz »

Bgood wrote:Back in the 1950's and earlier when this revelation was recorded "Greek" was a euphemism used in Utah for black.

In any event. David H. Horne's brother and family has clarified that what was originally communicated was that the President at the time would not be of the usual European extraction.

When I lived in Salt Lake City, early 60's, "Greek" was an euphemism for ..........taking it up the ass. Never heard any other word for blacks than negro or n....., and that includes from scout leaders and Bishopric.
And in the end, the love you take, is equal to the love...you make. PMcC
_Maksutov
_Emeritus

Post by _Maksutov »

Morley wrote:

I kind of doubt this.

Nevertheless, there has, at times, been strong anti-Greek sentiment in Utah. If I remember my history correctly, the Utah KKK targeted Greeks in the 1920s and 30s, warning them to stay away from 'white' women.

I think Helen Papanikolas wrote about the crosses burning in the foothills.

http://hellasfrappe.blogspot.com/2013/1 ... greek.html

Anti-foreign sentiment reached a peak in the 1920s. In regard to the 1922 strike in Carbon County, one newspaper article asked, "Is Carbon County a Part of the State of Utah or is It a South European Dependency?" It continued: "Hundreds of Red-Blooded American Men with Families want to Know why they Have to Submit to the Blatant Lawlessness Effrontry of South European Domination." These attitudes led to the formation of the Ku Klux Klan in Utah. Klan activity, at a peak in 1924 and 1925, manifested itself in parades, demonstrations, and threats. A fiery cross was burned at Helper in September 1924, with hooded Klansmen seen in the vicinity of the Mormon church. In 1925 articles of incorporation of the Knights of the Ku Klux Klan were filed in Salt Lake City by W. M. Cortner, Harry B. Sawyer, and L. W. Taverner. The doctrines of the Utah Klan were similar to those of other branches, "...to uphold Americanism, advance Protestant Christianity, and eternally maintain white supremacy."
"God" is the original deus ex machina. --Maksutov
_grindael
_Emeritus

Post by _grindael »

This all might seem strange (all these wacko prophecies) but this was the NORM for early Mormonism. Jo spouted them off and they were gobbled up like they were the juicy marrow from Buffalo bones. (Read the early diaries and all the instances of them complaining about their bowel problems afterwards). Quakers on the Moon, being "wafted" from planet to planet, living until Christ returns, the blacks will "rise up" and Lamanites will help them kill all the "gentiles" (overthrow of the US Government) so that the Mormons could build "Zion", (in 50 years from 1840 no less), Moroni stopped at Kinderhook on his way to Cumorah, and on and on it went. What is even more bizarre is trying to give them any kind of credence TODAY.
Riding on a speeding train; trapped inside a revolving door;
Lost in the riddle of a quatrain; Stuck in an elevator between floors.
One focal point in a random world can change your direction:
One step where events converge may alter your perception.
_sock puppet
_Emeritus

Post by _sock puppet »

grindael wrote:This all might seem strange (all these wacko prophecies) but this was the NORM for early Mormonism. Jo spouted them off and they were gobbled up like they were the juicy marrow from Buffalo bones. (Read the early diaries and all the instances of them complaining about their bowel problems afterwards). Quakers on the Moon, being "wafted" from planet to planet, living until Christ returns, the blacks will "rise up" and Lamanites will help them kill all the "gentiles" (overthrow of the US Government) so that the Mormons could build "Zion", (in 50 years from 1840 no less), Moroni stopped at Kinderhook on his way to Cumorah, and on and on it went. What is even more bizarre is trying to give them any kind of credence TODAY.

Do you have a link to a source for the 'Moroni stopped at Kinderhook on his way to Cumorah'? I would like to examine whatever historical sources there may be for that one. It sounds like high fiction, as concocted by Mormons.
_grindael
_Emeritus

Post by _grindael »

sock puppet wrote:
grindael wrote:This all might seem strange (all these wacko prophecies) but this was the NORM for early Mormonism. Jo spouted them off and they were gobbled up like they were the juicy marrow from Buffalo bones. (Read the early diaries and all the instances of them complaining about their bowel problems afterwards). Quakers on the Moon, being "wafted" from planet to planet, living until Christ returns, the blacks will "rise up" and Lamanites will help them kill all the "gentiles" (overthrow of the US Government) so that the Mormons could build "Zion", (in 50 years from 1840 no less), Moroni stopped at Kinderhook on his way to Cumorah, and on and on it went. What is even more bizarre is trying to give them any kind of credence TODAY.

Do you have a link to a source for the 'Moroni stopped at Kinderhook on his way to Cumorah'? I would like to examine whatever historical sources there may be for that one. It sounds like high fiction, as concocted by Mormons.

Yeah, I wrote a piece on it. It's a fascinating tale of folklore.... But there is a map... https://mormonitemusings.com/2012/10/31 ... of-moroni/
Riding on a speeding train; trapped inside a revolving door;
Lost in the riddle of a quatrain; Stuck in an elevator between floors.
One focal point in a random world can change your direction:
One step where events converge may alter your perception.
_Philo Sofee
_Emeritus

Post by _Philo Sofee »

Bgood wrote:I remember very well watching General Conference in the late 70's. Elder Bruce R. McConkie said something to the effect that the power of the priesthood may be the only way to protect us "from the atomic holocaust that shall surely be". (I"m not sure if that's exactly how he said it, but it's pretty close.)

He also said after the Revelation to give blacks the priesthood to ignore everything he had said that it was wrong to. Not only him but everybody else had been wrong also. So this last days scare and these special events with special "Greeks" really does nothing for me. No one really knows anything and it's all guesswork it always has been.
Dr CamNC4Me
"Dr. Peterson and his Callithumpian cabal of BYU idiots have been marginalized by their own inevitable irrelevancy defending a fraud."
_CaliforniaKid
_Emeritus

Post by _CaliforniaKid »

I was raised Pentecostal. If I had a nickel for every failed prophecy I've heard, I could fill a jacuzzi with champagne.
_sock puppet
_Emeritus

Post by _sock puppet »

sock puppet wrote:

grindael wrote:Yeah, I wrote a piece on it. It's a fascinating tale of folklore.... But there is a map... https://mormonitemusings.com/2012/10/31 ... of-moroni/

Fascinating, grindael. Thank you. Whoever drew those maps and wrote the explanations must have believed at the time that those Kinderhook plates were genuine. There is no mention on the maps of what the author thought was Moroni's purpose in stopping at Kinderhook. As a diversion from the main trek illustrated on the maps, Kinderhook either already had the bell-shaped plates and Moroni was visiting the locale for whatever purpose or Kinderhook was a special locale in Book of Mormon terms to which Moroni needed to make the diversion to himself deposit the bell-shaped plates there. I don't think JSjr was involved; at the time of his murder in 1844, the anticipated Mormon migration was to the Rocky Mountains. Not to "Salt Lake Utah".

The reference to Salt Lake Utah on this map suggests that it was made after the westward trek that ended in July 1847. Also, this map maker thought the Land Bountiful to be located in northern Mexico, not far south of the Sand Hills in southern Arizona, even though described as "sentral America". Many people have mistakenly considered Mexico to be part of Central America rather than part of North America.