Comparative Biographies of Warren Aston, Discoverer of Nahom

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_moksha
_Emeritus

Re: Comparative Biographies of Warren Aston, Discoverer of N

Post by _moksha »

I have a question wrote:Potter is a hobbyist ... He may as well walk to his local woodland and announce that he's found Narnia.

Potter making such an announcement about pinpointing the location of Narnia would definitely sell in future publications and videos since we Mormons are enamored by C.S. Lewis. Professor Lewis has been quoted many times in LDS General Conferences.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_grindael
_Emeritus

Post by _grindael »

Maksutov wrote:Brother Aston's faith in the aliens extends to the "Amicizia" affair, where various aliens lived with humans over a period of many years. Most of those activities took place in Italy.

The "contactee"/"space brothers" phenomena happened first in the US but was replicated in the UK, Europe and elsewhere over time. It's fascinating how they follow a pattern and how it resembles a secularized religious experience. One or two people in a remote place meet an extraordinary being who gives them amazing information and a message for the world...

The archetype for this was George Adamski. His most famous book, "Inside the Space Ships" was developed from his earlier novel, "Pioneers of Space". Remind you of any one?

In his early years Adamski even operated a small 'philosophical' group, a small band of theosophists that he named "The Royal Order of Tibet" and styled himself "Professor" Adamski.

The FBI agent who investigated Adamski described him as having "the most honest eyes I've ever seen".

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I've been watching Stargate SG1 on Hulu. (Haven't watched the series since it finished in what, 2007?) Still one of my favorite TV shows. Somehow it just seems oddly relevant here.
Riding on a speeding train; trapped inside a revolving door;
Lost in the riddle of a quatrain; Stuck in an elevator between floors.
One focal point in a random world can change your direction:
One step where events converge may alter your perception.
_Maksutov
_Emeritus

Post by _Maksutov »

grindael wrote:
Maksutov wrote:Brother Aston's faith in the aliens extends to the "Amicizia" affair, where various aliens lived with humans over a period of many years. Most of those activities took place in Italy.

The "contactee"/"space brothers" phenomena happened first in the US but was replicated in the UK, Europe and elsewhere over time. It's fascinating how they follow a pattern and how it resembles a secularized religious experience. One or two people in a remote place meet an extraordinary being who gives them amazing information and a message for the world...

The archetype for this was George Adamski. His most famous book, "Inside the Space Ships" was developed from his earlier novel, "Pioneers of Space". Remind you of any one?

In his early years Adamski even operated a small 'philosophical' group, a small band of theosophists that he named "The Royal Order of Tibet" and styled himself "Professor" Adamski.

The FBI agent who investigated Adamski described him as having "the most honest eyes I've ever seen".

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I've been watching Stargate SG1 on Hulu. (Haven't watched the series since it finished in what, 2007?) Still one of my favorite TV shows. Somehow it just seems oddly relevant here.

If I recall correctly Stargate had a strong Egyptian element in it. Lots of mystical and speculative stuff was attached to Egypt, then and now. Yesterday's esoterica is today's pseudosciencefiction. When the new Doctor Strange movie comes out you'll see all kinds of neoTibetan BS that come right from the theosophist handbook. The pulp and comic book writers used to go dumpster diving in the cultic milieu of these fringe groups for ideas. So did the Surrealists earlier on, but from a different perspective. :wink:
"God" is the original deus ex machina. --Maksutov
_Maksutov
_Emeritus

Post by _Maksutov »

As a bit of an update, Aston is championing the cause of George Adamski specifically:

http://www.fatemag.com/adamskis-forgotten-photograph/

This Book of Mormon apologist thinks that we should re-examine Adamski's photographs because the evidence is so compelling that he captured aliens on film:

Despite staring the UFO community and the sceptics in the face, this image has essentially been ignored even by the few commentators who have attempted to deal with the first “contactee”. As researchers re-evaluate that early period and its personalities with newly obtained documentation, these hard facts about Adamski and his original claims have to be faced, not ignored.

The inescapable facts that this photograph was made in front of witnesses, was independently developed by a newspaper and clearly shows a flying saucer in flight surely require us to reconsider the claims of George Adamski and those associated with him.

Here we have something sounding oddly like a parallel to the familiar "witnesses" story. Fascinating.

"Those associated with him" could be a whole raft of lunatics like Howard Menger, Daniel Fry, Frank Stranges, Desmond Leslie, George van Tassel, even poor Gloria Lee. I think it's absolutely delicious that the new premier Mopologist is an internationally recognized crackpot. :lol: :lol: :lol:
_DrW
_Emeritus

Post by _DrW »

From the link in Maks' post above:

Warren Aston wrote: It is time, I believe, to take a fresh look at the story of George Adamski and his contemporaries. In this article I examine an aspect of Adamski’s foundational claim that he met a man claiming to be from Venus, later given the name of “Orthon”, in front of six witnesses in the Mojave Desert on the afternoon of 20 November 1952.

So, let me get this straight:

Bro. Aston believes we should take a fresh look at the claims of an individual who claims to have met an individual, who claimed to be from Venus - the planet where the surface temperature is over 950 degrees F (hot enough that lead on the surface melts into pools and can flow like water), and the atmosphere is comprised mostly of CO2 at a pressure 1320 psi, or so (the same pressure one would experience at a depth of about 3000 feet in the ocean).

(Any carbon based life form would cease to exist as such under those conditions in about a second.)

Yep. Exactly the kind of guy who Mormons can believe in when he claims to have found Bountiful in Oman. This is especially true when he accrues credibility to his story by citing similar findings by the famous Bro. Lynn Hilton who claims that the massive black hole at the center of the Milky Way Galaxy is the Celestial Kingdom (or is the Celestial Kingdom a black hole at the center of the galaxy?).
David Hume: "---Mistakes in philosophy are merely ridiculous, those in religion are dangerous."

DrW: "Mistakes in science are learning opportunities and are eventually corrected."
_Maksutov
_Emeritus

Post by _Maksutov »

DrW wrote:From the link in Maks' post above:

Warren Aston wrote: It is time, I believe, to take a fresh look at the story of George Adamski and his contemporaries. In this article I examine an aspect of Adamski’s foundational claim that he met a man claiming to be from Venus, later given the name of “Orthon”, in front of six witnesses in the Mojave Desert on the afternoon of 20 November 1952.

Bro. Aston believes we should take a fresh look at the claims of an individual who claims to have met an individual, who claimed to be from Venus - the planet where the surface temperature is over 950 degrees F (hot enough that lead on the surface melts into pools and can flow like water), and the atmosphere is comprised mostly of CO2 at a pressure 1320 psi, or so (the same pressure one would experience at a depth of about 3000 feet in the ocean).

(Any carbon based life form would cease to exist as such under those conditions in about a second.)

Yep. Exactly the kind of guy who Mormons can believe in when he claims to have found Bountiful in Oman. This is especially true when he accrues credibility to his story by citing similar findings by the famous Bro. Lynn Hilton who claims that the massive black hole at the center of the Milky Way Galaxy is the Celestial Kingdom (or is the Celestial Kingdom a black hole at the center of the galaxy?).

You've got it, DrW. Oh yes, and Adamski said that there were lakes and timber on the Moon. And cities. He saw them. He was there. :wink:

Brother Aston can't let go of the fact that he's a writer for Fate magazine--one of the original flying saucer and Fortean journals.
_grindael
_Emeritus

Post by _grindael »

Maksutov wrote:If I recall correctly Stargate had a strong Egyptian element in it. Lots of mystical and speculative stuff was attached to Egypt, then and now. Yesterday's esoterica is today's pseudosciencefiction. When the new Doctor Strange movie comes out you'll see all kinds of neoTibetan BS that come right from the theosophist handbook. The pulp and comic book writers used to go dumpster diving in the cultic milieu of these fringe groups for ideas. So did the Surrealists earlier on, but from a different perspective. :wink:

Dr. Strange was never one of my favs, and I'm really getting tired of all the Marvel & DC stuff, because they are just combining different past storylines from the comics into almost incoherent movies that don't resonate with me like the comics did. (Though I love the special effects and how they have translated the characters to the big screen). I really did like Deadpool though, and Antman wasn't bad, but the original comics were still better. I am not looking forward to another Spidey reboot at all. My favorite thing in all these movies is seeing Stan Lee cameos. 'Nuff Said!

I love how they turned Thor into a little gray alien in SG1. I actually liked the two spinoff's (one from Galactica - "Caprica") and Stargate Universe much better, but they were cancelled because they just had no mass appeal and the more simplistic plot elements of their predecessors. Still, them actually being able to pilot a ship through a sun was a little hard to take seriously. But I still liked the series and I really liked Caprica.
Riding on a speeding train; trapped inside a revolving door;
Lost in the riddle of a quatrain; Stuck in an elevator between floors.
One focal point in a random world can change your direction:
One step where events converge may alter your perception.
_I have a question
_Emeritus

Post by _I have a question »

DrW wrote:From the link in Maks' post above:

Holy Crap...
“When we are confronted with evidence that challenges our deeply held beliefs we are more likely to reframe the evidence than we are to alter our beliefs. We simply invent new reasons, new justifications, new explanations. Sometimes we ignore the evidence altogether.” (Mathew Syed 'Black Box Thinking')
_Maksutov
_Emeritus

Post by _Maksutov »

I believe this is Warren Aston in the 90s giving a presentation on Udo Wartena.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTOsD-U9QqM

Don't know the date of this one but it's been a long time interest of his:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K1c9OPmK7cw
Last edited by Guest on Tue Aug 16, 2016 11:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
_Res Ipsa
_Emeritus

Post by _Res Ipsa »

grindael wrote:
Maksutov wrote:If I recall correctly Stargate had a strong Egyptian element in it. Lots of mystical and speculative stuff was attached to Egypt, then and now. Yesterday's esoterica is today's pseudosciencefiction. When the new Doctor Strange movie comes out you'll see all kinds of neoTibetan BS that come right from the theosophist handbook. The pulp and comic book writers used to go dumpster diving in the cultic milieu of these fringe groups for ideas. So did the Surrealists earlier on, but from a different perspective. :wink:

Dr. Strange was never one of my favs, and I'm really getting tired of all the Marvel & DC stuff, because they are just combining different past storylines from the comics into almost incoherent movies that don't resonate with me like the comics did. (Though I love the special effects and how they have translated the characters to the big screen). I really did like Deadpool though, and Antman wasn't bad, but the original comics were still better. I am not looking forward to another Spidey reboot at all. My favorite thing in all these movies is seeing Stan Lee cameos. 'Nuff Said!

I love how they turned Thor into a little gray alien in SG1. I actually liked the two spinoff's (one from Galactica - "Caprica") and Stargate Universe much better, but they were cancelled because they just had no mass appeal and the more simplistic plot elements of their predecessors. Still, them actually being able to pilot a ship through a sun was a little hard to take seriously. But I still liked the series and I really liked Caprica.

I think that makes a total of two people who liked Caprica. ;-)
​“The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated communist, but people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists.”

― Hannah Arendt, The Origins of Totalitarianism, 1951