John Dee and the Foundations of Mormonism

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_jj
_Emeritus

Re: John Dee and the Foundations of Mormonism

Post by _jj »

Interesting sidenote. Silvestre de Sacy was the first to translate from the Book of Enoch.

"Better success was achieved by the famous Scottish traveller James Bruce, who, in 1773, returned to Europe from six years in Abyssinia with three copies of a Ge’ez version…the copies remained unused until the 19th century; Silvestre de Sacy, in “Notices sur le live d’Enoch” included extracts of the books with Latin translations.”
_Johannes
_Emeritus

Post by _Johannes »

I only have a minute to post this because I'm on the way from seeing Die Meistersinger at the Guggenheim to having dinner with a pair of Nobel Prize winners (and I want everyone to know that I don't really care about this topic anyway and have only thought about it twice this year), but I have a feeling that Richard Brothers may have been in that bookshop too. Identifying and gathering in the lost children of Israel, and all that.
Last edited by Guest on Sun Aug 21, 2016 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
_Tator
_Emeritus

Post by _Tator »

Johannes wrote:I only have a minute to post this because I'm on the way from seeing Der Meistersinger at the Guggenhein to having dinner with a pair of Nobel Prize winners (and I want everyone to know that I don't really care about this topic anyway and have only thought about it twice this year), but I have a feeling that Richard Brothers may have been in that bookshop too. Identifying and gathering in the lost children of Israel, and all that.

Great post in the style of DCP.
a.k.a. Pokatator joined Oct 26, 2006 and permanently banned from MAD Nov 6, 2006
"Stop being such a damned coward and use your real name to own your position."
"That's what he gets for posting in his own name."
2 different threads same day 2 hours apart Yohoo Bat 12/1/2015
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Post by _Kishkumen »

jj wrote:This is the most detailed analysis of the Chaldee Manuscript I've found.

I highly recommend that anyone interested in this subject read the linked material. You have to read in a couple of pages before you hit the pertinent stuff, but when you do you will be illuminated regarding the genre to which the Book of Mormon belongs.
"Petition wasn’t meant to start a witch hunt as I’ve said 6000 times." ~ Hanna Seariac, LDS apologist
_jj
_Emeritus

Post by _jj »

Tator wrote:
Johannes wrote:I only have a minute to post this because I'm on the way from seeing Der Meistersinger at the Guggenhein to having dinner with a pair of Nobel Prize winners (and I want everyone to know that I don't really care about this topic anyway and have only thought about it twice this year), but I have a feeling that Richard Brothers may have been in that bookshop too. Identifying and gathering in the lost children of Israel, and all that.

Great post in the style of DCP.

Although I find this hypothesis plausible, I am in no position right now to put the energy into saying anything more about it. I have exactly one hour to catch my flight to Cappodocia.

Let me say this though: if Johannes is right than the implications are huge.
_Lemmie
_Emeritus

Post by _Lemmie »

jj wrote:Although I find this hypothesis plausible, I am in no position right now to put the energy into saying anything more about it. I have exactly one hour to catch my flight to Cappodocia.

Let me say this though: if Johannes is right than the implications are huge.

And of course, since this is an idea I have always espoused - although I do concede I may not always have actually written my thoughts down - I would hard-pressed to come up with names of any faithful Saints who verbally disagreed, or, at the very least, did not actively disagree.

And thank you for finally posting in a civil manner. It is refreshing to see that those with, shall we say, limited abilities to engage in higher level discourse, can occasionally rise to the challenge. I would suggest, albeit not with a shred of evidence, that my blog, in no small -or should I say, not-small - part, may have had something to do with this obedient behavior on your part.

I am, after all, the most vile and malevolent Mope ever, just ask my constant attackers on that vile board. Not that I go there anymore, or at least not often, but my water-dousing abilities are the subject of at least six front page posts daily. Of course, I only know that second hand, as I have firmly committed to never, or at least infrequently - although I will defend myself when attacked! - peruse that fetid swamp. Unless I'm being ignored.

If you will excuse me, I have a lecture to write and then will be making preparations for a very enjoyable dinner with a very high-ranking lds leader. Let's just say he may know more about the Maxwell Institute than you do.
_grindael
_Emeritus

Post by _grindael »

James Macpherson's Ossian myths of the mid-late 1700s may be of some relevance here. Rick Grunder kindly provided me with this excerpt from his excellent "Mormon Parallels":

http://www.rickgrunder.com/parallels/mp229.pdf
Riding on a speeding train; trapped inside a revolving door;
Lost in the riddle of a quatrain; Stuck in an elevator between floors.
One focal point in a random world can change your direction:
One step where events converge may alter your perception.
_jj
_Emeritus

Post by _jj »

grindael wrote:James Macpherson's Ossian myths of the mid-late 1700s may be of some relevance here. Rick Grunder kindly provided me with this excerpt from his excellent "Mormon Parallels":

http://www.rickgrunder.com/parallels/mp229.pdf

This was also a fun read.

A Printing Devil, a Scottish Mummy, and an Edinburgh Book of the Dead: James Hogg’s Napoleonic Complex

The title alone is a hoot.

With some comparisons to the Ossian fragments on Page 178.

“Hogg’s novel notably resembles Macpherson’s Ossian, the eighteenth-century literary forgery which was a flashpoint for Scottish nationalism. Like the Ossian controversy, The Private Memoires turns upon faith in the authenticity of its history, in which to doubt is to align oneself with metropolitan culture. One might even go so far as to say that Hogg’s novel satirizes Samuel Johnson, one of the most vocal critics of the Ossian fragments…”
_jj
_Emeritus

Post by _jj »

Returning to Kircher, our pioneering Egyptologist, and his mysterious Nephite text.

“At one point, in a discussion about the origins of writing, Leon invoked the authority of “the Hebrew Aben Nephi” who had agreed with Arab authors for whom Enoch, called Idris in Arabic, had been the first writer. The reference was to Barachias Nephi, a mysterious Babylonian rabbi and author of a manuscript that Kircher claimed to own: an Arabic text that he had copied from one in the library of the Elector of Mainz, and that allowed him to decipher all of the manuscripts found in Rome.”

https://books.google.co.th/books/about/ ... SQWmuaLLgC

I think there's a good story to be found in Kircher, and lucky for us the largest collection of Kircheriana in North America is found in the vaults of the Harold B. Lee.

http://www.ianpaisley.org/article.asp?ArtKey=kircher
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Post by _Kishkumen »

jj wrote:Returning to Kircher, our pioneering Egyptologist, and his mysterious Nephite text.

“At one point, in a discussion about the origins of writing, Leon invoked the authority of “the Hebrew Aben Nephi” who had agreed with Arab authors for whom Enoch, called Idris in Arabic, had been the first writer. The reference was to Barachias Nephi, a mysterious Babylonian rabbi and author of a manuscript that Kircher claimed to own: an Arabic text that he had copied from one in the library of the Elector of Mainz, and that allowed him to decipher all of the manuscripts found in Rome.”

https://books.google.co.th/books/about/ ... SQWmuaLLgC

I think there's a good story to be found in Kircher, and lucky for us the largest collection of Kircheriana in North America is found in the vaults of the Harold B. Lee.

http://www.ianpaisley.org/article.asp?ArtKey=kircher

Kircher's ideas about the hierophantic mystical nature of hieroglyphs was still alive at BYU in the last decade and I would not be surprised if that were true even today.

Th Ibn Nephi stuff I am dying to know more about. Rabbi Nephi had the universal translation key or code key. These are surely divine interpreters.
"Petition wasn’t meant to start a witch hunt as I’ve said 6000 times." ~ Hanna Seariac, LDS apologist