Return of "The Doink": What's at Stake in Post-Mopologetics

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Maksutov
_Emeritus

Re: Return of "The Doink": What's at Stake in Post-Mopologet

Post by _Maksutov »

Doctor Scratch wrote:
Yes, I saw that. Wow. Talking about yanking something out of context. I'm also guessing that Hancock's inclusion of the Camus bit here, in this badly-out-of-context quote, was done without a shred of irony.

Mopologist postmodern moves invariably turn into pratfalls. :lol:
"God" is the original deus ex machina. --Maksutov
_Johannes
_Emeritus

Post by _Johannes »

Doctor Scratch wrote:The meat of the talk is a long series of deconstructions of "Liberal" LDS writers, all of whom are advocating Christlike discipleship: treating others with kindness and respect; being open to alternative points of view; and perhaps most pointedly, not seeking to drive people out of the Church. At heart, it seems to me that this is what is most at stake for the Mopologists at this point in time. Though they loathe having to admit it or having it pointed out to them, the truth seems to be that the view their ability to kick people out of the Church--the ability to ostracize--as one of the principal things that they are in danger of losing.

Sadly, I have a feeling that this is true.

There are people like this in all churches. I've been on the receiving end of it myself. Loyalty to the in-group comes above anything else. If someone has an unorthodox take on the faith, you don't just disagree with them and mount arguments against them, you try to drive them out.

Someone should tell them that if Jesus had taken that attitude they wouldn't have a church to exclude people from. THey would be trying to ostracise people for having unorthodox thoughts about Zeus and Woden.
_Everybody Wang Chung
_Emeritus

Post by _Everybody Wang Chung »

You know it's bad when even Juliann Reynolds is disappointed in the "The Doink":

Juliann wrote: I am extremely disappointed that he displayed so-called quotes from Blair, one of which I couldn't find in the blog he claimed to have gotten it from. I don't expect to hear FM speakers belittling other LDS scholars' work. When one has to go to blogs to find something to criticize, it ends up looking more like a grudge than anything else. Is anyone familiar with the work of the other scholars he critiqued? Was he more accurate in those instances?

http://www.mormondialogue.org/topic/680 ... ity-loses/
"I'm on paid sabbatical from BYU in exchange for my promise to use this time to finish two books."

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014
_Runtu
_Emeritus

Post by _Runtu »

Everybody Wang Chung wrote:You know it's bad when even Juliann Reynolds is disappointed in the "The Doink":

Juliann wrote: I am extremely disappointed that he displayed so-called quotes from Blair, one of which I couldn't find in the blog he claimed to have gotten it from. I don't expect to hear FM speakers belittling other LDS scholars' work. When one has to go to blogs to find something to criticize, it ends up looking more like a grudge than anything else. Is anyone familiar with the work of the other scholars he critiqued? Was he more accurate in those instances?

http://www.mormondialogue.org/topic/680 ... ity-loses/

I find it amazing that, in his presentation, he acknowledges that Blair thinks he is misrepresenting Blair's position. The arrogance of saying, "I'm not going to let Blair explain himself because I know better than he does what he meant!"

What a dick.
Runtu's Rincón

If you just talk, I find that your mouth comes out with stuff. -- Karl Pilkington
_consiglieri
_Emeritus

Post by _consiglieri »

Besides his overall dickishness, here is what stood out to me from the transcript (thanks for the link!):

Of course the statement itself ("love for one another") is incontrovertible, but the whole question concerns the status of particular commandments and principles in relation to the great and ultimate idea of love.

I agree this is the fundamental question.

The problem for me is that Hancock appears to believe that there are instances where "particular commandments and principles" can compete with, or even trump, the "great and ultimate idea of love."

My reading of the New Testament is that this is precisely the idea that Jesus spent most of his ministry fighting against--that there were instances where religious orthodoxy could trump the love we should have for our neighbor.

From Jesus's point of view, it seems that the "status of particular commandments and principles in relation to the great and ultimate idea of love" is that at any point where the two intersect, the latter must always trump the former.

No exceptions.

Jesus didn't excoriate the commandment breakers, but the commandment keepers--at least when such commandment keeping was done at the expense of the fundamental law of love.
You prove yourself of the devil and anti-mormon every word you utter, because only the devil perverts facts to make their case.--ldsfaqs (6-24-13)
_Doctor Steuss
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor Steuss »

consiglieri wrote:
Of course the statement itself ("love for one another") is incontrovertible, but the whole question concerns the status of particular commandments and principles in relation to the great and ultimate idea of love.

I agree this is the fundamental question.

That question is sure one tough nut to crack.

If only Jesus had said something, about the status of commandments and principles in relation to love. If only someone had though to ask Him what the greatest commandment was.

Oh well. I guess we'll never know.
"Some people never go crazy. What truly horrible lives they must lead." ~Charles Bukowski
_consiglieri
_Emeritus

Post by _consiglieri »

Doctor Steuss wrote:That question is sure one tough nut to crack.

If only Jesus had said something, about the status of commandments and principles in relation to love. If only someone had though to ask Him what the greatest commandment was.

After all these years, you are still making me laugh, Herr Doktor!

Brilliant!!!!
You prove yourself of the devil and anti-mormon every word you utter, because only the devil perverts facts to make their case.--ldsfaqs (6-24-13)
_Cicero
_Emeritus

Post by _Cicero »

Doctor Scratch wrote:The meat of the talk is a long series of deconstructions of "Liberal" LDS writers, all of whom are advocating Christlike discipleship: treating others with kindness and respect; being open to alternative points of view; and perhaps most pointedly, not seeking to drive people out of the Church. At heart, it seems to me that this is what is most at stake for the Mopologists at this point in time. Though they loathe having to admit it or having it pointed out to them, the truth seems to be that the view their ability to kick people out of the Church--the ability to ostracize--as one of the principal things that they are in danger of losing.

Said another way, mopologists are lamenting the perceived loss of their ability to define orthodoxy for purposes of Mormon Studies. What continues to amaze me is that they EVER felt it was their role to do so in the first place.
_Johannes
_Emeritus

Post by _Johannes »

Doctor Steuss wrote:That question is sure one tough nut to crack.

Great point.

There may be some institutions in the world that are too tolerant and inclusive. With all due respect, the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is not one of them.
_Gadianton
_Emeritus

Post by _Gadianton »

Cicero wrote:Said another way, mopologists are lamenting the perceived loss of their ability to define orthodoxy for purposes of Mormon Studies. What continues to amaze me is that they EVER felt it was their role to do so in the first place.

Right, but a small quibble. When Jesus chased the money changers from the temple, did it follow this linear trajectory :define orthodoxy, perceive the infraction, become angry over the infraction, and then chase them away with righteous justification? Or did he become angry, define orthodoxy, perceive the infraction etc..?

Because the money changer story is the only one of its kind in the Bible, it seems like the first.

We seem to find a lot of "driving the doubters off the message boards" and so I think the problem is anger is at the root of the tree. and if that's the case, we can expect orthodoxy to be defined such that there will be plenty of infractions, and plenty of work to do bringing the hatchet down.
Lou Midgley 08/20/2020: "...meat wad," and "cockroach" are pithy descriptions of human beings used by gemli? They were not fashioned by Professor Peterson.

LM 11/23/2018: one can explain away the soul of human beings...as...a Meat Unit, to use Professor Peterson's clever derogatory description of gemli's ideology.