Return of "The Doink": What's at Stake in Post-Mopologetics

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Doctor Scratch
_Emeritus

Return of "The Doink": What's at Stake in Post-Mopologetics

Post by _Doctor Scratch »

The good brothers and sisters over at FAIRMormon have at last graciously uploaded the text of Ralph "The Doink" Hancock's conference presentation, entitled, "'Love Wins' and Charity Loses." As churchistrue noted in a separate thread, a large chunk of Hancock's talk was devoted to attacking folks who are--whether formally or not--associated with the "New Maxwell Institute" and the Mormon Studies movement. The gist of the argument--as indicated in the title--is that the "Love Wins" slogan adopted by pro-same-sex marriage supporters is indicative of a wholesale undermining of gospel principles. Of course, that's not actually what's happening in contemporary Mormonism, but it's nonetheless interesting in terms of what it says about the stakes that are involved in our current, post-Mopologetic landscape.

Hancock writes:

Progressive liberalism claims the authority of reason and of openness to a “diversity” of views and ways of life. But the Love Wins mantra reveals the sacred dogma that underlies the pose of open-minded rationalism: “love” understood as boundless acceptance and empathy, excluding all moral judgment, is the new, unquestioned standard of moral judgment. And the prestige of this secular love, impatient with all boundaries and standards, is clearly a residue (however distorted and misapplied) of the very Christianity that secularism must overcome. Secularism is the secularized residue of Christianity. And this residue, in the form of the ideology of “love,” wields amazing dogmatic authority in our supposedly free-thinking secular age. Question every authority, progressive liberalism entices us, but do not even think about questioning “love,” meaning absolute acceptance and non-judgmental empathy, as the sole standard of human goodness. Never in the darkest of Christian “Dark Ages” did an ideological authority envision such a total domination over the human mind and heart as that asserted by the post-Christian humanistic religion of “love.”

Per Hancock, we're entering a new, retrograde "Dark Ages" via a secularism that is masquerading as Christianity. Is it true that the "Love Wins" crowd embraces "boundless acceptance and empathy" as the "unquestioned standard of moral judgment"? Well, is the Maxwell Institute still publishing "negative apologetics"? Hancock contradicts himself scarcely a page later when he notes that "I realize that just by asking what “love” means I am already taking a position that some find troubling or annoying." I guess the "acceptance" isn't so absolutely after all, eh?

The meat of the talk is a long series of deconstructions of "Liberal" LDS writers, all of whom are advocating Christlike discipleship: treating others with kindness and respect; being open to alternative points of view; and perhaps most pointedly, not seeking to drive people out of the Church. At heart, it seems to me that this is what is most at stake for the Mopologists at this point in time. Though they loathe having to admit it or having it pointed out to them, the truth seems to be that the view their ability to kick people out of the Church--the ability to ostracize--as one of the principal things that they are in danger of losing. Elsewhere, discussing a piece by Craig Hairline, Hancock cites this passage from Tom Spencer (Hancock notes that Spencer "see through the specious rhetoric"):

This is a frustrating passage, because it expresses a sentiment (“hey, let’s find a way to help everybody fit in”) that is obviously good on a general level, but then gives that sentiment apparently unbounded disruptive authority

Perhaps unsurprisingly, Hancock's penultimate subsection is entitled, "Counterfeit “Love”: the Anti-Christ." He says in the end that the views espoused by Hodges, Hairline, et al. can be traced back to a predictable source: "Amoral universalism always has been and always will be the work of the Adversary." Korihor had a new press; "Sodom and Cumorah" don't get along; and now, the new "Liberal Mormonism" is a tool of the adversary.

In the end, what seems clear about all else is that Hancock and the rest of the moribund Mopologetic enterprise don't care about any Christian "content." There is never really anything that they are advocating: How should one honor one's faith? How should one act and behave? What are "good works"? What is "grace"? Instead, Hancock's presentation is yet another case of "negative apologetics"--a project based on attacks, on tearing down others. It says what others are doing wrong, rather than advocating a way forward.
Last edited by Guest on Fri Aug 26, 2016 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"[I]f, while hoping that everybody else will be honest and so forth, I can personally prosper through unethical and immoral acts without being detected and without risk, why should I not?." --Daniel Peterson, 6/4/14
_Runtu
_Emeritus

Re: Return of "The Doink": What's at Stake in Post-Mopologet

Post by _Runtu »

It's almost as if he spends his life looking for people and ideas to hate, sort of like apologists who used to search this board for swear words.
Runtu's Rincón

If you just talk, I find that your mouth comes out with stuff. -- Karl Pilkington
_Everybody Wang Chung
_Emeritus

Post by _Everybody Wang Chung »

What a strange presentation.

It's clear he despises Blair Hodges. He devoted 9 paragraphs solely to showing why he feels Blair Hodges is wrong in his approach for the Church to be more inclusive.

Has there ever been a FAIR presentation where a large part is solely devoted to attacking a Mormon scholar? Weird. Just weird.

I hate to be so harsh, but Ralph is a moron.
Last edited by Guest on Fri Aug 26, 2016 2:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I'm on paid sabbatical from BYU in exchange for my promise to use this time to finish two books."

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014
_sock puppet
_Emeritus

Post by _sock puppet »

Well, Hancock proves that there is one prophet on earth today, Paul McCartney who penned by his own hand on paper, in 1973:

When you were young and your heart was an open book
You used to say live and let live
(you know you did, you know you did you know you did)
But if this ever changing world in which we're living
Makes you give in and cry

Say live and let die
Live and let die
Live and let die
Live and let die

What does it matter to ya
When you got a job to do
You gotta do it well
You gotta give the other fellow hell

Thanks, Hancock, for advocating giving the other fellow hell rather than encouraging tolerance. You're a peach of a human being.
_sock puppet
_Emeritus

Post by _sock puppet »

Is Ralph Hancock a descendant of Levi Hancock, one of JSjr's acolytes?
_Everybody Wang Chung
_Emeritus

Post by _Everybody Wang Chung »

sock puppet wrote:Is Ralph Hancock a descendant of Levi Hancock, one of JSjr's acolytes?

What the hell is wrong with Ralph Hancock? Not only is he one of the most obtuse and ineffective communicators I've ever read, but he spends most of his FAIR speech ragging on Blair Hodges (who, he clearly states, earned only a masters degree) and Adam Miller because of their perceived liberalism?

Funny how BYU publishes Miller books, and will be publishing Hodges, but Hancock is relegated to his own pointless blog on Patheos.

What's more funny is that both Hodges and Miller are too classy and professional and will totally ignore Hancock's baiting, further infuriating Hancock and Peterson.

Folks, you can't make this stuff up.
"I'm on paid sabbatical from BYU in exchange for my promise to use this time to finish two books."

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014
_Gadianton
_Emeritus

Post by _Gadianton »

Right, "Love wins" is a slogan, and not that marketing jargon isn't relevant to a position, but it isn't the reduction of a position. So if the presenter spent hours and hours "deconstructing" "Love wins" as the Ninety-five thesis of modern secularism, then he's a freaking lunatic.

SSM obviously not derived from love per se, but the general belief in freedom of consenting adults to make their own life decisions. In, fact, most of the Mopologists agree up to the point of using a certain word to describe it. Once the word is reached, the world melts into relativism.

Off the top of my head, what about "Visa, it's everywhere you want to be." What if I want to be committing a crime? What if I want to commit credit card fraud? Is the slogan thus not relativistic and even self-stultifying?

I agree though, it seems what they really want is the backing to disinvite people from church. This is the right they're fighting for.
Lou Midgley 08/20/2020: "...meat wad," and "cockroach" are pithy descriptions of human beings used by gemli? They were not fashioned by Professor Peterson.

LM 11/23/2018: one can explain away the soul of human beings...as...a Meat Unit, to use Professor Peterson's clever derogatory description of gemli's ideology.
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

If Hancock represents the Red Queen and Hodges represents the White Queen, then which of the players at the FAIRMormon Conference gets to be Alice and the Mad Hatter?

Even if Hancock shouts, "Off with his head!", Blair Hodges position is the authentically Christian one.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_Tom
_Emeritus

Post by _Tom »

Doctor Scratch wrote:The meat of the talk is a long series of deconstructions of "Liberal" LDS writers, all of whom are advocating Christlike discipleship: treating others with kindness and respect; being open to alternative points of view; and perhaps most pointedly, not seeking to drive people out of the Church. At heart, it seems to me that this is what is most at stake for the Mopologists at this point in time. Though they loathe having to admit it or having it pointed out to them, the truth seems to be that the view their ability to kick people out of the Church--the ability to ostracize--as one of [i]the[i/] principal things that they are in danger of losing. Elsewhere, discussing a piece by Craig Hairline, Hancock cites this passage from Tom Spencer (Hancock notes that Spencer "see through the specious rhetoric"):

This is a frustrating passage, because it expresses a sentiment (“hey, let’s find a way to help everybody fit in”) that is obviously good on a general level, but then gives that sentiment apparently unbounded disruptive authority[.]
Professor Hancock's PowerPoint presentation cites Meridian Magazine/Expand as the source of this review. I must admit that I've been unable to locate the review.

Professor Hancock later quotes a passage from Flannery O'Connor, as follows:
Ivan Karamazov cannot believe, as long as one child is in torment; Camus’ hero cannot accept the divinity of Christ, because of the massacre of the innocents. [Our Mormon prophets of secular compassion, [sic] cannot accept the authority of a Church that does not accept at face value the sexual disorientation [sic] some members.] In this popular pity [i.e., “compassion”], we mark our gain in sensibility and our loss in vision. … In the absence of … faith, we govern by tenderness. It is a tenderness which, long since cut off from the person of Christ, is wrapped in theory [the modern project of human mastery]. When tenderness is detached from the source of tenderness, its logical outcome is terror.”[sic]
(emphasis added)

Professor Hancock is free, of course, to do philosophy in slogans and soundbites, but he would do well to leave Ms. O'Connor out of it.
“A scholar said he could not read the Book of Mormon, so we shouldn’t be shocked that scholars say the papyri don’t translate and/or relate to the Book of Abraham. Doesn’t change anything. It’s ancient and historical.” ~ Hanna Seariac
_Doctor Scratch
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor Scratch »

Tom wrote:
Professor Hancock later quotes a passage from Flannery O'Connor, as follows:
Ivan Karamazov cannot believe, as long as one child is in torment; Camus’ hero cannot accept the divinity of Christ, because of the massacre of the innocents. [Our Mormon prophets of secular compassion, [sic] cannot accept the authority of a Church that does not accept at face value the sexual disorientation [sic] some members.] In this popular pity [i.e., “compassion”], we mark our gain in sensibility and our loss in vision. … In the absence of … faith, we govern by tenderness. It is a tenderness which, long since cut off from the person of Christ, is wrapped in theory [the modern project of human mastery]. When tenderness is detached from the source of tenderness, its logical outcome is terror.”[sic]
(emphasis added)

Professor Hancock is free, of course, to do philosophy in slogans and soundbites, but he would do well to leave Ms. O'Connor out of it.

Yes, I saw that. Wow. Talk about yanking something out of context. I'm also guessing that Hancock's inclusion of the Camus bit here, in this badly-out-of-context quote, was done without a shred of irony.
Last edited by Guest on Fri Aug 26, 2016 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"[I]f, while hoping that everybody else will be honest and so forth, I can personally prosper through unethical and immoral acts without being detected and without risk, why should I not?." --Daniel Peterson, 6/4/14