Yet another 1000 year old steel sword found in europe

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Quasimodo
_Emeritus

Re: Yet another 1000 year old steel sword found in europe

Post by _Quasimodo »

Franktalk wrote:If you are really interested in this stuff you can buy a book written way back around 1780. A man lived with the Indians and traded with them. Again it may be the guy wished to sell books. But he does tell a story about how the Indians had Jewish customs.

https://books.google.com/books?id=df5SA ... ms&f=false

The History of the American Indians
By James Adair 1775

I am really interested in actual history and honest, scholarly appraisals of what the evidences we have discovered really mean. Amature speculation? Not so much.

There was a thread on this board several months back that used a third person story from the 1800's claiming that metal swords were found in the Duck River Mounds in TN. as evidence of Mormon histories. It happens that a scientific, archeological excavation was done in the 1950's. They did find swords (sort of). They were made of worked stone. Here's a photo of one:

I have read snippets of the book you mentioned in other articles, but I can't give it much credence. There used to be a lot of speculation that the Mandan tribes were the descendants of Welsh refugees that somehow made it across the ocean and up the Mississippi river in the twelfth century. I think DNA testing put a quick end to that.

There are lots of stories and tall tales that lead nowhere. I prefer reality.
This, or any other post that I have made or will make in the future, is strictly my own opinion and consequently of little or no value.

"Faith is believing something you know ain't true" Twain.
_Quasimodo
_Emeritus

Post by _Quasimodo »

grindael wrote:
Quasimodo wrote:
We see that very thing even today. Ridiculous theories like space aliens coming to Earth to build the Egyptian Pyramids or create the Mayan culture (because humans weren't really up to it) annoy me nearly as much as the Book of Mormon.

Hey... Watch it, Quasi... I'm rewatching Stargate Atlantis on Hulu. That stuff makes for a great space opera!

Oops! Sorry, I hope you can suspend that window of disbelief until the movie is over. :wink:

SPOILER ALERT!!!

The bad guys lose.
This, or any other post that I have made or will make in the future, is strictly my own opinion and consequently of little or no value.

_Franktalk
_Emeritus

Post by _Franktalk »

Quasimodo wrote:There are lots of stories and tall tales that lead nowhere. I prefer reality.

Good luck finding that. Unless you were there you must take someone's word about everything. Man is not honest or noble in most cases.

If you have your own set of people you trust then you are setting yourself to be deceived.

The only person you can trust is yourself.
_Themis
_Emeritus

Post by _Themis »

Franktalk wrote:
Quasimodo wrote:There are lots of stories and tall tales that lead nowhere. I prefer reality.

Good luck finding that. Unless you were there you must take someone's word about everything. Man is not honest or noble in most cases.

If you have your own set of people you trust then you are setting yourself to be deceived.

It's not hard to find if you know what to look at. Otherwise historical research is a complete waste of time. Your feelings will not lead you to reality, but your own fantasy land.
_Franktalk
_Emeritus

Post by _Franktalk »

Themis wrote:It's not hard to find if you know what to look at. Otherwise historical research is a complete waste of time. Your feelings will not lead you to reality, but your own fantasy land.

I will be happy to take my fantasy land over this place.
_Quasimodo
_Emeritus

Post by _Quasimodo »

Franktalk wrote:

I've volunteered on a few archeological excavations in the South West, myself. I've seen some wonderful stuff come out of the ground. Hardly any steel swords, though.

I'm happy to set my lot with those well educated people who publish for peer review, have no preconceived notions to promote and value honest attempts to find the truth of matters above wild speculations.

Professional Archeologists will be the first to admit that they don't know everything they would like to know, but they do know a lot and don't pretend to know things that they don't know. That knowledge keeps growing by scientific methods and the integrity of those great people who do the hard work to discover what we can about the past.

_Themis
_Emeritus

Post by _Themis »

Franktalk wrote:
Themis wrote:It's not hard to find if you know what to look at. Otherwise historical research is a complete waste of time. Your feelings will not lead you to reality, but your own fantasy land.

I will be happy to take my fantasy land over this place.

Many do over real life, but it doesn't make for good decision making.
Last edited by Guest on Fri Sep 16, 2016 2:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
_SuperDell
_Emeritus

Post by _SuperDell »

All this dismissing the Book of Mormon is so silly.

The documentary movie CAT BALLOU shows the Western Pioneers and Cowboys in the US knew that American Indians came from Jews. Even shows how stubborn they are in hiding the fact from those who would find out.

Just watch the documentary. Has a Bad Man and a Good Man - obviously based on Laman and Nephi. You can just see the symmetry and The Lord's Hand in its making.
“Those who never retract their opinions love themselves more than they love truth.”
― Joseph Joubert
_Quasimodo
_Emeritus

Post by _Quasimodo »

SuperDell wrote:All this dismissing the Book of Mormon is so silly.

The documentary movie CAT BALLOU shows the Western Pioneers and Cowboys in the US knew that American Indians came from Jews. Even shows how stubborn they are in hiding the fact from those who would find out.

Just watch the documentary. Has a Bad Man and a Good Man - obviously based on Laman and Nephi. You can just see the symmetry and The Lord's Hand in its making.

((forehead smack)) Of course! I never made the connection before. Shelleen (Lee Marvin) must represent Nephi. His most famous scene is him sitting on a horse, both he and horse leaning against a wall in drunken stupors. That alone is good evidence that Nephites had horses.

Laman (also Lee Marvin) is evil and dressed in black and has a silver prosthetic nose. Get it? A metaphor for dark skin. The silver nose is very good evidence that Lamanites had an advanced knowledge of metallurgy.

I am having a little trouble with the heroine, Cat Ballou. There are no heroic women in the Book of Mormon.

_Sethbag
_Emeritus

Post by _Sethbag »

CameronMO wrote:I'm starting to think nobody will ever find one. :razz:

You're only now just starting?
Mormonism ceased being a compelling topic for me when I finally came to terms with its transformation from a personality cult into a combination of a real estate company, a SuperPac, and Westboro Baptist Church. - Kishkumen