I have a feeling a revelation is coming at GC

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Sanctorian
_Emeritus

I have a feeling a revelation is coming at GC

Post by _Sanctorian »

This last couple of years has been a bad time for the church. The Supreme Court ruled in favor of SSM and new nationwide state laws are being enacted to proctect and better serve the LGBT community. To top it off, the church fumbled big time last November with its policy on baptizing children of gay parents.

Youth suicides increased and has resulted in members being extremely vocal in opposition. People are leaving not over doctrinal issues, but social issues.

Enter BYU, the flagship for national exposure to the church. People might not pay attention to anything in UT, but people do follow sports across state lines. The BYU honor code has taken a beating this year from how they treat rape victims to same sex relationships. With BYU being heavily scrutinized by entering into talks with the Big 12, the honor code and the church's stance towards these issues are a real black eye for the church.

Take this article from ESPN http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/17612297/where-do-things-stand-big-12-expansion-talks

But the LGBT community's opposition to BYU because of its honor code has turned BYU's candidacy "toxic," as one Big 12 insider characterized it.

"Their appeal doesn't outweigh the baggage, even though the appeal is great," another said.

Hence why I think a new revelation is coming. The church needs BYU to represent Mormons nationwide. The church needs BYU to make Mormons and Mormonism normal. It can only do that if BYU has good national exposure and press. The timing is perfect, GC this weekend a new revelation is announced. It helps stop the internal bleeding of socially active members and gives BYU the opportunity to change its honor code just in time to enter the Big 12.

In my patriarchal blessing it says I have the gift of revelation. I felt the spirit as I predict this event this weekend. Now pay me 10%.
I'm a Ziontologist. I self identify as such.
_churchistrue
_Emeritus

Re: I have a feeling a revelation is coming at General Confe

Post by _churchistrue »

So what exactly is the new revelation?
Sharing a view of non-historical/metaphorical "New Mormonism" on my blog http://www.churchistrue.com/
_Nightlion
_Emeritus

Post by _Nightlion »

churchistrue wrote:So what exactly is the new revelation?

Anything that they say is a "revelation" when speaking under the gift and power of the Holy Ghost.

Yeah, like that could ever happen.....NOT!

For that to occur each one would have to be gifted with the baptism of fire and of the Holy Ghost which IS the gospel of Jesus Christ.
Anyone so gifted will waste their entire life preaching this necessity to all the world knowing how vital it is to obey this commandment of Jesus Christ
and thusly enter the actual kingdom of God while living.

Oh, but no LDS leader has EVER taught this way or manifested the least familiarity with it or demonstrated that they knew its expediency for true salvation.
They only want Money Givers to keep giving enthusiastically. All they want it to flatter them as if all full tithing payers are very, very righteous.

Sort of like how Denver Snuffer flatters the New Zion with a fete compi just for acting like Zion. Same shame.
The Apocalrock Manifesto and Wonders of Eternity: New Mormon Theology
https://www.docdroid.net/KDt8RNP/the-apocalrock-manifesto.pdf
https://www.docdroid.net/IEJ3KJh/wonders-of-eternity-2009.pdf
My YouTube videos:HERE
_I have a question
_Emeritus

Post by _I have a question »

Nightlion wrote:Anything that they say is a "revelation" when speaking under the gift and power of the Holy Ghost.

How does one reliably distinguish between the Holy Ghost and confirmation bias, or some other self-generated feeling?

Spoiler alert: they don't because they can't.
“When we are confronted with evidence that challenges our deeply held beliefs we are more likely to reframe the evidence than we are to alter our beliefs. We simply invent new reasons, new justifications, new explanations. Sometimes we ignore the evidence altogether.” (Mathew Syed 'Black Box Thinking')
_Nightlion
_Emeritus

Post by _Nightlion »

I have a question wrote:
Nightlion wrote:Anything that they say is a "revelation" when speaking under the gift and power of the Holy Ghost.

How does one reliably distinguish between the Holy Ghost and confirmation bias, or some other self-generated feeling?

Spoiler alert: they don't because they can't.

One who truly has the gift and power of the Holy Ghost will ALWAYS wear out his life preaching the importance of getting the Promise of the Father that Jesus Christ commanded the Jews very specifically about and coached them forty days toward the task, leaving only to allow the event to occur, telling them to continue with one accord in fasting and prayed UNTIL the gospel event is fulfilled.

Nobody but ME has been teaching this during my entire life time. Joseph merely mentions it almost in passing. But that was more than anyone else did.

That is the sign of a true messenger. He teaches what matters most. If you fail to even mention it as important, then obviously you never experienced it and have no clue about it.
The Apocalrock Manifesto and Wonders of Eternity: New Mormon Theology
https://www.docdroid.net/KDt8RNP/the-apocalrock-manifesto.pdf
https://www.docdroid.net/IEJ3KJh/wonders-of-eternity-2009.pdf
My YouTube videos:HERE
_I have a question
_Emeritus

Nightlion wrote:
I have a question wrote:How does one reliably distinguish between the Holy Ghost and confirmation bias, or some other self-generated feeling?

One who truly has the gift and power of the Holy Ghost will ALWAYS wear out his life preaching the importance of getting the Promise of the Father that Jesus Christ commanded the Jews very specifically about and coached them forty days toward the task, leaving only to allow the event to occur, telling them to continue with one accord in fasting and prayed UNTIL the gospel event is fulfilled.

Nobody but ME has been teaching this during my entire life time. Joseph merely mentions it almost in passing. But that was more than anyone else did.

That is the sign of a true messenger. He teaches what matters most. If you fail to even mention it as important, then obviously you never experienced it and have no clue about it.

You haven't answered the question.
“When we are confronted with evidence that challenges our deeply held beliefs we are more likely to reframe the evidence than we are to alter our beliefs. We simply invent new reasons, new justifications, new explanations. Sometimes we ignore the evidence altogether.” (Mathew Syed 'Black Box Thinking')
_churchistrue
_Emeritus

Post by _churchistrue »

I'm still waiting to hear what the predicted revelation is. Something minor like a BYU Honor Code or policy change? (they likely wouldn't do that in conference) Or something big like a church wide policy or doctrine change? Either one, I'd be all for.
Sharing a view of non-historical/metaphorical "New Mormonism" on my blog http://www.churchistrue.com/
_Philo Sofee
_Emeritus

Post by _Philo Sofee »

Since Night Lion appears to be the only one with the Holy Ghost I would suspect that the Holy Ghost really isn't doing his job very well. How many people have lived on the earth 90 billion? Out of that 90 billion one or two has had the gift of the Holy Ghost? That's really not that impressive of the ministry by God is it now? Am I the only one that sees something wrong here?
Dr CamNC4Me
"Dr. Peterson and his Callithumpian cabal of BYU idiots have been marginalized by their own inevitable irrelevancy defending a fraud."
_I have a question
_Emeritus

Philo Sofee wrote:Since Night Lion appears to be the only one with the Holy Ghost I would suspect that the Holy Ghost really isn't doing his job very well. How many people have lived on the earth 90 billion? Out of that 90 billion one or two has had the gift of the Holy Ghost? That's really not that impressive of the ministry by God is it now? Am I the only one that sees something wrong here?

From what I've read, what Nightlion is experiencing sounds more like the vapours than the Spirit.
Maybe he should take a powder and lie down for a bit.
_grindael
_Emeritus

Re: I have a feeling a revelation is coming at GC

Post by _grindael »

We've heard this tripe before,

August, 1842:

He said that great exertions had been made on the part of our enemies, but they had not accomplished their purpose—God had enabled him to keep out of their hands—he had war'd a good warfare inasmuch as he had whip'd out all of Bennett's host [2] his feelings at present time were that inasmuch as the Lord Almighty had preserv'd him to day. He said it reminded him of the Savior, when he said to the pharisees, "Go ye and tell that fox, Behold I cast out devils, and I do cures today and tomorrow, and the third day I shall be perfected." &C. He said he expected the heavenly Father had decreed that the Missourians shall not get him—if they do, it will be because he does not keep out of the way. Pres. S. continued by saying, I shall triumph over my enemies—I have begun to triumph over them at home and I shall do it abroad—All those that rise up against me will feel the weight of their iniquity upon their own heads— (Eliza R. Snow, Nauvoo Relief Society Minutes, 31 August, 1842).

Smith quotes Luke 13:

32 He replied, “Go tell that fox, ‘I will keep on driving out demons and healing people today and tomorrow, and on the third day I will reach my goal.’ 33 In any case, I must press on today and tomorrow and the next day—for surely no prophet can die outside Jerusalem!

August 27, 1843:

Joseph also prophesied on the stand a year ago last conference that he could not be killed within five years from that time; that they could not kill him till the Temple would be completed, for that he had received an unconditional promise from the Almighty concerning his days, and he set Earth and Hell at defiance; and then said, putting his hand on his head, they never could kill this Child. (Letter, Sarah Scott to Father and Mother)

I bear record this morning that all the combined powers of Earth and hell shall not over come this boy. (Scott H. Faulring, An American Prophet's Record, p.409)

He prophecied that "not all the powers of hell or earth combined can ever overthrow this boy" for he had a promise from the eternal God. (George D. Smith, An Intimate Chronicle; The Journals of William Clayton, p.119).

Joseph Smith, October 11, 1843:

"I prophecy in the name of the Lord God [that] anguish and wrath and trembulity [trembling] and tribulation and the withdrawing of the spirit of God await this generation until they are visited with utter destruction. This generation is as corrupt as the generation of the Jews that crucified Christ and if he were here to day and should preach the same doctrine he did then, why they would crucify him. I defy all the world and I prophecy they will never overthrow me till I get ready. (Scott H. Faulring, An American Prophet's Record, p.421).

Joseph Smith, April 13, 1844:

[Saturday.] A.M. at President Joseph's recording Deeds. He prophecied the entire overthrow of this nation in a few years. (George D. Smith, An Intimate Chronicle; The Journals of William Clayton, p.129).

June 27, 1844, Smith is murdered by a mob at Carthage, Illinois, and "this nation" has NEVER been "entirely overthrown."
Riding on a speeding train; trapped inside a revolving door;
Lost in the riddle of a quatrain; Stuck in an elevator between floors.
One focal point in a random world can change your direction:
One step where events converge may alter your perception.