Bart Ehrman vs Robert Price

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Philo Sofee
_Emeritus

Re: Bart Ehrman vs Robert Price

Post by _Philo Sofee »

DoubtingThomas wrote:
Philo Sofee wrote: is the only way to be correct these days is be a university professor?

Not necessarily, but like I said he needs to convince his peers first. If he fails to convince them, why on Earth should he convince us?

Then there is the issue of convincing his peers, and who and how do we define them, but yes, you have a point.
Dr CamNC4Me
"Dr. Peterson and his Callithumpian cabal of BYU idiots have been marginalized by their own inevitable irrelevancy defending a fraud."
_Mary
_Emeritus

Post by _Mary »

Philo Sofee wrote:
Mary wrote:I agree with Kishkumen on this. Of the three, Carrier, Fitzgerald and Price, Price is the one who knows his stuff when it comes to Christian origins specifically. Philo, I really don't understand your approach here.

Did you listen to the presentations I linked to above? I think it might just change your opinion of Robert Price. When it comes to early christian origins, he really is in another league altogether, and I mean that as no disrespect to Carrier.

I think I am being misunderstood. I'm well aware that Price is very knowledgeable about Christian Origins. His book pre Nicene New Testament is simply outstanding. But I'm also aware that Richard Carrier is also very knowledgeable about Christian Origins. But because he doesn't teach at a university he is pooh poohed. It's just too bad that's all.

Again, did you listen to the youtube presentation with Carrier, Fitzgerald and Price. Price really is in another league. (in my opinion) Both Carrier and Fitzgerald defer to him, because they know it.

Price was the ideal debate partner with Ehrman.
"It's a little like the Confederate Constitution guaranteeing the freedom to own slaves. Irony doesn't exist for bigots or fanatics." Maksutov
_Philo Sofee
_Emeritus

Post by _Philo Sofee »

No, not yet.
Dr CamNC4Me
"Dr. Peterson and his Callithumpian cabal of BYU idiots have been marginalized by their own inevitable irrelevancy defending a fraud."
_Mary
_Emeritus

Post by _Mary »

It's really quite an enlightening watch. Very interesting also.
"It's a little like the Confederate Constitution guaranteeing the freedom to own slaves. Irony doesn't exist for bigots or fanatics." Maksutov
_Philo Sofee
_Emeritus

Post by _Philo Sofee »

Im looking forward to seeing it, thank you!
Dr CamNC4Me
_Mary
_Emeritus

Post by _Mary »

Philo, I really liked Ehrman's approach (Looking at the positive evidence for the existence of Jesus as a man), would you be able to give your top evidences for why he most probably did exist?

Just as another point, I was really interested in Ehrman's approach to crucifixion. Historically, the Roman authorities (he says) didn't allow family and friends to take the body from the cross once death had occurred. So, given that Jesus died on the cross, it's most likely he was left there as an example.

So, my question to that would be

1. Is there any historical basis for family being allowed to take a body and lay in a temporary tomb in the historical record generally?

2. Is there any evidence for individuals surviving crucifixion?
_DoubtingThomas
_Emeritus

Post by _DoubtingThomas »

"Bart Ehrman & Robert Price Debate - Did Jesus Exist"
https://youtu.be/GzjYmpwbHEA