New "Rock In Hat" LDS artwork

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_I have a question
_Emeritus

New "Rock In Hat" LDS artwork

Post by _I have a question »

In this fascinating discussion, Russell Stevenson interviews Dr. Anthony Sweat, who is an artist, BYU religion professor, and illustrator of the resent publications From Darkness into Light and Joseph Smith’s Seer Stones. In recent years, LDS artwork found in church curriculum and magazines has been criticized because it does not portray the Book of Mormon translation process historically accurate.

Dr. Sweat shares that the first place his students often learn that Joseph Smith put stones into a hat when translating is through the television show South Park. He seeks to provide artwork that not only portrays the process more accurately but also respectfully.

Russell Stevenson and Anthony Sweat discuss how artists — from Arnold Friberg to the creators of South Park — have helped shape perceptions of LDS scriptures and historical events over the past seventy years.

http://ldsmissionaries.com/lds-artwork- ... d-podcast/

How embarrassing for the 15 old white guys that South Park was a more trustworthy resource than they were.
“When we are confronted with evidence that challenges our deeply held beliefs we are more likely to reframe the evidence than we are to alter our beliefs. We simply invent new reasons, new justifications, new explanations. Sometimes we ignore the evidence altogether.” (Mathew Syed 'Black Box Thinking')
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Re: New "Rock In Hat" LDS artwork

Post by _Kishkumen »

Well, this painting isn't accurate either.
"Petition wasn’t meant to start a witch hunt as I’ve said 6000 times." ~ Hanna Seariac, LDS apologist
_Lemmie
_Emeritus

Post by _Lemmie »

Kishkumen wrote:Well, this painting isn't accurate either.

I assume you mean the covered rectangular something on the table? That's a pretty fascinating approach to me.

It is something only a Mormon or one with some knowledge about Mormonism would recognize as 'the gold plates,' of course, thus attempting to keep the transitional and pre-transitional generations satisfied, while introducing plausible deniability for future generations if they need to eventually completely extract themselves from the gold plates story. (what? you think what's under the cloth is what? how the flip do we know what the artist meant when he drew that?!)
_Hagoth
_Emeritus

Post by _Hagoth »

It's also not accurate in that his face isn't pressed into the hat. They could only force themselves to go 75% of the weird.
"Be excellent to each other." - Bill and Ted
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” - Mark Twain
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Post by _Kishkumen »

Hagoth wrote:It's also not accurate in that his face isn't pressed into the hat. They could only force themselves to go 75% of the weird.

That's exactly what I am referring to.
"Petition wasn’t meant to start a witch hunt as I’ve said 6000 times." ~ Hanna Seariac, LDS apologist
_huckelberry
_Emeritus

Post by _huckelberry »

I have complained about the aesthetics of another LDS painter and do not wish to repeat. Lets allow that this is a workman like illustration.

Still I am amused by how respectability is approached. Joseph's head held back from the hat , not to get too close, modernized haircuts, white shirts, I am surprised no ties were provided.
_sock puppet
_Emeritus

Post by _sock puppet »

I have a question wrote:
In this fascinating discussion, Russell Stevenson interviews Dr. Anthony Sweat, who is an artist, BYU religion professor, and illustrator of the resent publications From Darkness into Light and Joseph Smith’s Seer Stones. In recent years, LDS artwork found in church curriculum and magazines has been criticized because it does not portray the Book of Mormon translation process historically accurate.

Dr. Sweat shares that the first place his students often learn that Joseph Smith put stones into a hat when translating is through the television show South Park. He seeks to provide artwork that not only portrays the process more accurately but also respectfully.

Russell Stevenson and Anthony Sweat discuss how artists — from Arnold Friberg to the creators of South Park — have helped shape perceptions of LDS scriptures and historical events over the past seventy years.

http://ldsmissionaries.com/lds-artwork- ... d-podcast/

How embarrassing for the 15 old white guys that South Park was a more trustworthy resource than they were.

After seeing the leaked videos, I'm not surprised that Trey Parker has less limitations on his understandings than would the 15.
_sock puppet
_Emeritus

Post by _sock puppet »

huckelberry wrote:I have complained about the aesthetics of another LDS painter and do not wish to repeat. Lets allow that this is a workman like illustration.

Still I am amused by how respectability is approached. Joseph's head held back from the hat , not to get too close, modernized haircuts, white shirts, I am surprised no ties were provided.

They should also be sporting missionary name tags, shouldn't they?
_Lemmie
_Emeritus

Post by _Lemmie »

Hagoth wrote:It's also not accurate in that his face isn't pressed into the hat. They could only force themselves to go 75% of the weird.

Yes I noticed that but I thought the covered rectangle was such a throwback to the old wrong pics it couldn't be ignored.

Speaking of only 75% of the weird, with a face IN the hat, shouldn't the room also be darkened, and curtains added? Maybe even a glow coming off the rock? But you're right, those don't add to the respectability aspect that seems to be the goal.

I seem to remember a thread here about how lds artists had very little artistic freedom in creating representations like this, is that what you were referring to, huckleberry? I'll be interested in looking up and reading your prior thread. My younger brother is an artist and I've always been amazed by how his personality is so clear in everything he draws or paints; I can only imagine the inner conflict that must occur if everything is dictated.
_Quasimodo
_Emeritus

Post by _Quasimodo »

A possible explanation for why his head isn't in his hat. It was captured just at the moment when Joseph Smith said:
"Hey, what are all these tiny crabby looking things in my hat!"
This, or any other post that I have made or will make in the future, is strictly my own opinion and consequently of little or no value.

"Faith is believing something you know ain't true" Twain.