Shephards, Wolves and Election Angst

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_honorentheos
_Emeritus

Shephards, Wolves and Election Angst

Post by _honorentheos »

We received a visit from the Jehovah's Witnesses this morning with whom I spent about 15 minutes talking. I bring it up here because the topic they were using as a sales pitch is one I've seen brought up elsewhere on the board and it makes me wonder how vulnerable people feel as this presidential election reaches it's peak.

The JW's opening question focused on how much angst or fear I might feel given how turbulent the world seemed. They presented the question with a statement about how great it would be to have a wise ruler who could bring peace and read a scripture out of 1 Timothy 6. I told them I wished them a good day but wasn't interested, at which point they asked if I had hope?

The gory details aside (they went away asking that I check out their website after they were told I was open minded to other views but the evidence it needed to account for included what was probably a boring explanation of the Documentary Hypothesis, the problem of evil, my hope being centered in the human spirit, and 1 Timothy being one of many psuedopigraphic epistles of Paul with a dash of the Federalist Papers in for flavor...yeah, I'm fun at parties. :wink: ) it did leave me wondering if the uncertainty and frustration of the election is affecting how religious people feel? Are people looking for answers? For hope? And perhaps turning or returning to those places and things that might feel comfortable or safe?

Anyone seen or heard anything reported about this?
The world is always full of the sound of waves..but who knows the heart of the sea, a hundred feet down? Who knows it's depth?
~ Eiji Yoshikawa