Church leadership reaction to Pearl Harbor attack in 1941?

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_moinmoin
_Emeritus

Re: Church leadership reaction to Pearl Harbor attack in 194

Post by _moinmoin »

Fence Sitter wrote:Hey Moinmoin,

As usual you have interesting comments to contribute. That said, I find the single anecdotal comment by Schnibbe really isn't grounds to conclude that the Nazis would have tried to eradicate the Mormons after finishing off the Jews. What it really sounds like is a comment made years after the fact meant to impress an audience heavily slanted against Nazi's. Is there any more evidence to show the Nazi's had the Mormons targeted?

Thanks

You're quite right that Schnibbe's interview (I was quoting from memory what he said in the "Truth and Conviction" documentary), by itself, doesn't establish factually that there was larger intent to include Mormons in the Final Solution. It's very possible (I find Schnibbe to be credible) that his interrogator really did say that to him, but whether and to what extent he was in a position to "know things" is unknown. Has anyone ever argued that the Nazi party looked well upon the Mormons? I think at best, they were tolerated-to-barely-tolerated.
_moinmoin
_Emeritus

Post by _moinmoin »

spotlight wrote:And it skirts the issue of how it is that in the same church the HG is affecting leaders in different directions. What makes anyone's "discernment" any better than any one else's? Apparently two things come into play there. The first is how high up the ladder you roost in a leadership role. The other is after the fact alteration of the inspiration of the "HG."

What evidence is there that Arthur Zander was "affected by the Holy Ghost" at all in excommunicating him? He appears to have done the paperwork to excommunicate alone, without holding a disciplinary council (or even seeking for authorization to hold the disciplinary council). That the outcome was overturned by Salt Lake is no surprise; there were a lot of irregularities.
_spotlight
_Emeritus

Post by _spotlight »

moinmoin wrote:What evidence is there that Arthur Zander was "affected by the Holy Ghost" at all in excommunicating him?

Exactly my point - well half of my point. The other half is what evidence was there that the overturn was affected by anything other than one's own brain?
Kolob’s set time is “one thousand years according to the time appointed unto that whereon thou standest” (Abraham 3:4). I take this as a round number. - Gee
_Morley
_Emeritus

Post by _Morley »

moinmoin wrote: if the U.S. had adopted German as its official language, as advocated by Ben Franklin and others

Where do you get this stuff, moinmoin? This isn't even close.
_Morley
_Emeritus

Post by _Morley »

I'm trying to be polite when I call it "stuff."
_gramps
_Emeritus

Post by _gramps »

Morley wrote:I'm trying to be polite when I call it "stuff."

Indeed. He's nuts.

http://www.watzmann.net/scg/german-by-one-vote.html
I detest my loose style and my libertine sentiments. I thank God, who has removed from my eyes the veil...
Adrian Beverland
_fetchface
_Emeritus

Post by _fetchface »

moinmoin wrote:What evidence is there that Arthur Zander was "affected by the Holy Ghost" at all in excommunicating him?

And that is what should disturb everyone: that fallible men have the power to declare someone fundamentally unacceptable to God.
Ubi Dubium Ibi Libertas
My Blog: http://untanglingmybrain.blogspot.com/