Trump finally found someone to sing at the inauguration!

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_malkie
_Emeritus

Trump finally found someone to sing at the inauguration!

Post by _malkie »

Mormon Tabernacle Choir to Sing at US Presidential Inauguration
Ron Jarrett, president of the Mormon Tabernacle Choir wrote:Singing the music of America is one of the things we do best. We are honored to be able to serve our country by providing music for the inauguration of our next president.
NOMinal member

Maksutov: "... if you give someone else the means to always push your buttons, you're lost."
_Xenophon
_Emeritus

Re: Trump finally found someone to sing at the inauguration!

Post by _Xenophon »

How foolish of me to think they might not want to touch this one with a ten foot stick...

I know they have a history of performing at inauguration ceremonies and parades, but isn't this the one you sit out?
"If you consider what are called the virtues in mankind, you will find their growth is assisted by education and cultivation." -Xenophon of Athens
_malkie
_Emeritus

Post by _malkie »

Xenophon wrote:How foolish of me to think they might not want to touch this one with a ten foot stick...

I know they have a history of performing at inauguration ceremonies and parades, but isn't this the one you sit out?

Gordon B Hinckley wrote:Stand for something
- well, now we see what the "something" is.
NOMinal member

Maksutov: "... if you give someone else the means to always push your buttons, you're lost."
_I have a question
_Emeritus

Post by _I have a question »

For 80 years, the Deseret News has not entered into the troubled waters of presidential endorsement. We are neutral on matters of partisan politics. We do, however, feel a duty to speak clearly on issues that affect the well-being and morals of the nation.

Accordingly, today we call on Donald Trump to step down from his pursuit of the American presidency.

In democratic elections, ideas have consequences, leadership matters and character counts.

The idea that women secretly welcome the unbridled and aggressive sexual advances of powerful men has led to the mistreatment, sorrow and subjugation of countless women for far too much of human history.

The notion that strength emanates from harsh, divisive and unbending rhetorical flourish mistakenly equates leadership with craven intimidation.

The belief that the party and the platform matter more than the character of the candidate ignores the wisdom of the ages that, “when the wicked beareth rule, the people mourn.” (Proverbs 29:2)

We understand that politicians and presidential candidates are human and that everyone makes mistakes. We do not believe that what is expressed in an unguarded moment of conversation should be the full measure of an individual. And we unquestionably support the principle that people deserve forgiveness, compassion and a second chance.

But history affirms that leaders' examples either elevate or demean the lives of those being led. When choosing the ostensible leader of the free world, the American electorate requires the clear assurance that their chosen candidate will consistently put the well-being of others ahead of his or her own personal gratification. The most recent revelations of Trump’s lewdness disturb us not only because of his vulgar objectification of women, but also because they poignantly confirm Trump’s inability to self-govern.

What oozes from this audio is evil. We hear a married man give smooth, smug and self-congratulatory permission to his intense impulses, allowing them to outweigh the most modest sense of decency, fidelity and commitment. And although it speaks volumes about sexual morality, it goes to the heart of all ethical behavior. Trump’s banter belies a willingness to use and discard other human beings at will. That characteristic is the essence of a despot.

Nor is this an isolated incident. His reprehensible sexual speech confirms troubling reports and outrageous outbursts that have dogged his campaign from the beginning. Another example appeared earlier this week detailing Trump’s language and behavior on his reality television show, "The Apprentice."

The Associated Press “interviewed more than 20 people — former crew members, editors and contestants — who described crass behavior by Trump behind the scenes of the long-running hit show.”

In the face of these revelations, it is disheartening to see otherwise decent individuals now attempting to defend Trump’s talk, dismissing it as mere “locker room” bravado. At the time of the audio recording, Trump was not a hormonal teenage athlete, but rather a 60-year-old husband of an expectant mother and the father of four children.

America’s locker rooms deserve better.

When Donald Trump’s running mate Indiana Gov. Mike Pence visited Utah and met with members of the Deseret News Editorial Board, he assured us that Mr. Trump was a "good man" who held "the ideals and values” of Utahns. Likewise, while visiting the Beehive State, Donald Trump Jr. told us that his father was running because of the “values held dear in this community.”

Considering his conduct and comportment, we do not believe Trump holds the ideals and values of this community or this paper.

We are grateful for the courageous decision by many of Utah’s leading Republican politicians to renounce the top of their ticket.

Some will see our denunciation of Trump as tantamount to an endorsement of former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton. That is not the case. Although she comes with extraordinary experience, Clinton promotes social and economic policies we cannot support and she too has a history of self-dealing that gives us significant pause.

Should Clinton prevail in this presidential contest, we trust she — and those in the Congress that hold the presidency in check — will recognize that her likely victory against a self-wounded candidate is not a mandate for her specific platform, but rather a repudiation of Trump’s flaws.

We prefer to stand for something rather than against someone. But this is one of those rare moments where it is necessary to take a clear stand against the hucksterism, misogyny, narcissism and latent despotism that infect the Trump campaign even as we hope for a more auspicious future of liberty, prosperity and peace for the nation.

As the next few consequential weeks unfold, we trust the American people, as they vote their conscience, will provide a clarion call for sound ideas, true leadership and proven character from our next administration and Congress.

Trump cannot answer that call. We ask him to step aside.

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/8656 ... idacy.html

Is that what they call a U-Turn?
Last edited by Guest on Thu Dec 22, 2016 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“When we are confronted with evidence that challenges our deeply held beliefs we are more likely to reframe the evidence than we are to alter our beliefs. We simply invent new reasons, new justifications, new explanations. Sometimes we ignore the evidence altogether.” (Mathew Syed 'Black Box Thinking')
_DrW
_Emeritus

Post by _DrW »

If there were ever any doubt that the LDS Church is, at its core racist, homophobic, misogynistic, and fundamentally dishonest, it has just been erased by Mormons lending their signature choir, and wholehearted public support, to an unqualified presidential candidate who is all of these and worse.
Last edited by Guest on Thu Dec 22, 2016 11:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David Hume: "---Mistakes in philosophy are merely ridiculous, those in religion are dangerous."

DrW: "Mistakes in science are learning opportunities and are eventually corrected."
_I have a question
_Emeritus

DrW wrote:If there were ever any doubt that the LDS Church is, at its core racist, homophobic, misogynistic, and fundamentally dishonest, it has just been erased it by Mormons lending lending their signature choir, and wholehearted public support, to an unqualified presidential candidate who is all of these and worse.

I think it's worse than that.

Knowing everything that Trump has done and said, and what the Church and its leaders have said, they threw all that morale integrity under the bus in order to court some publicity.

It's a staggering decision. Mind blowing.
“When we are confronted with evidence that challenges our deeply held beliefs we are more likely to reframe the evidence than we are to alter our beliefs. We simply invent new reasons, new justifications, new explanations. Sometimes we ignore the evidence altogether.” (Mathew Syed 'Black Box Thinking')
_Xenophon
_Emeritus

Post by _Xenophon »

DrW wrote:If there were ever any doubt that the LDS Church is, at its core racist, homophobic, misogynistic, and fundamentally dishonest, it has just been erased it by Mormons lending lending their signature choir, and wholehearted public support, to an unqualified presidential candidate who is all of these and worse.

I'll even play a bit of devil's advocate here. Even if you don't believe Trump is all those things. There is so much controversy and contrarian air around this election that you would think the PR group would re-think this. They have not going to inaugurations in past (does anyone believe they would be involved in a Clinton one?)... why not just skip another one?
"If you consider what are called the virtues in mankind, you will find their growth is assisted by education and cultivation." -Xenophon of Athens
_I have a question
_Emeritus

People on both the political Left and the political Right are noticing it:

“Trevor Noah: Donald Trump is finally telling the truth about his ‘lying'”

“Trump Is Already Ditching His Movement”

And please, hardcore Trumpists, have a genuine look at the links above before you write impassioned defenses of Mr. Trump, telling me how he’s already made America great again, how (although he’s not yet even president) he’s already the second most powerful in the world next to his very wealthy friend Vladimir Putin, and so forth.

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/danpeterso ... trump.html

Peterson will be pleased....

Standing For Something - yeah, but what?
Last edited by Guest on Thu Dec 22, 2016 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
_Sanctorian
_Emeritus

Post by _Sanctorian »

It's not shocking really. Get your choir out in front of all the weak minded hillbillies in hopes that some convert. Those suckers voted trump. If they believe that guy will be a good president, they might believe Joe was a prophet. Sounds like they've identified their target market.
I'm a Ziontologist. I self identify as such.
_I have a question
_Emeritus

Half the membership will think it's great, half will think it's heinous.