Brent Metcalfe's book on the Book of Abraham?

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Philo Sofee
_Emeritus

Re: Brent Metcalfe's book on the Book of Abraham?

Post by _Philo Sofee »

Analytics wrote:Slightly off topic, but didn't Philo, Kevin, and Shulem all give a shot at being Book of Abraham apologists earlier in their respective paths? Is there anything somebody could possibly do that is more dangerous to a testimony than try to defend the Book of Abraham on the Internet?

I would propose there is nothing more dangerous and yes I think we all three did begin as apologists for the book of Abraham I think Shulem and Kevin are both way beyond me however. But I'm catching up on them. I was always doing work on the facsimiles especially number two. That one fascinated me for whatever reason perhaps because it reminded me of Mandalas. And I never did look at the actual relationship of the papyri and the Kirtland Egyptian papers and the Gael. But now that I finally unraveled the confusion in my mind on these issues, it is more or less an open-and-shut case, and I'm going to be very serious, I would seriously hate to be an apologist right now.
Dr CamNC4Me
"Dr. Peterson and his Callithumpian cabal of BYU idiots have been marginalized by their own inevitable irrelevancy defending a fraud."
_Fence Sitter
_Emeritus

Post by _Fence Sitter »

Philo Sofee wrote: I would seriously hate to be an apologist right now.

I think it goes beyond Mormonism.
I would hate to be an apologist defending historical religion now.

We are getting better and better at uncovering what happened in the past and the results, so far, are not good for religions that depend on past historical claims.

Even if the jury stays out for a literal Book of Mormon, the case for a literal Israel as described in the Bible is fading fast and with it, it is taking the Book of Mormon. If there was no exodus, if Adam is merely a myth, if Abraham never went to Egypt, there is no restoration of a priesthood power. No actual priesthood power means the nonsense where billions of dollars are being wasted in temples sealing people, goes away and, at that point, who really cares if Nephi existed or not?
No actual priesthood power = no Mormonism.
"Any over-ritualized religion since the dawn of time can make its priests say yes, we know, it is rotten, and hard luck, but just do as we say, keep at the ritual, stick it out, give us your money and you'll end up with the angels in heaven for evermore."
_Kevin Graham
_Emeritus

Post by _Kevin Graham »

Brent Metcalfe wrote:Yes, there is more on the way... a lot more.

_grindael
_Emeritus

Post by _grindael »

Philo Sofee wrote:You mean a woman took him away from the Book of Abraham?!

We should all be so lucky as Brent. And really, if you know her, you would know she could run rings around anyone here when it comes to Mormon History. :wink:
Riding on a speeding train; trapped inside a revolving door;
Lost in the riddle of a quatrain; Stuck in an elevator between floors.
One focal point in a random world can change your direction:
One step where events converge may alter your perception.
_Philo Sofee
_Emeritus

Post by _Philo Sofee »

Kevin Graham wrote:

now that's a funny one however that guy doesn't have near the biceps of our beloved Brent does. His arms are almost the size of my chest. I don't mean this chump in the picture either I mean Brent LOL
Dr CamNC4Me
"Dr. Peterson and his Callithumpian cabal of BYU idiots have been marginalized by their own inevitable irrelevancy defending a fraud."
_I have a question
_Emeritus

Post by _I have a question »

The principles used in Book of Abraham apologetics would be equally effective in justifying investment in a Bernie Madoff scheme. It's obvious nonsense to anyone who either hasn't invested or has the intellectual honesty to see that their investment was stupid.
“When we are confronted with evidence that challenges our deeply held beliefs we are more likely to reframe the evidence than we are to alter our beliefs. We simply invent new reasons, new justifications, new explanations. Sometimes we ignore the evidence altogether.” (Mathew Syed 'Black Box Thinking')
_Philo Sofee
_Emeritus

Post by _Philo Sofee »

Lemmie wrote:
You mean a woman took him away from the Book of Abraham?! Oh just great, no wonder the opposite sex has been seen through the centuries as evil! :lol:

I agree. The opposite sex has a reputation. Whether it's warranted or not is another matter. :cool:
(It occurs to me, however, that by "the opposite sex" you may have meant something other than this reader's "opposite sex." :lol: )

No offense, Philo! It's been great having you here, I think I've read every single post you've written--and I've loved every one. Keep posting!!

well about the opposite sex having a reputation... don't forget that little babe on the lion couch that has the name Abraham underneath that Gee hoped would authenticate the book of Abraham and Joseph Smith translation. In the actual context, contra Gee, and Muhlestein, that little girl was being seduced by magic spells so she would spread her legs and get laid. So I mean hey it comes from Antiquity and it's all the way up into today's modern era. :lol: You could possibly take some consolation in realizing that it takes a sacrifice like Abraham on that lion couch in that Greek magical papyri to stop gaining your reputation :lol:
Dr CamNC4Me
_Shulem
_Emeritus

Post by _Shulem »

Just imagine if one of the lessons missionaries gave to investigators was on the making of the Book of Abraham through the Mormon papyrus. Just how many people do you think would join the church if they had a simple look at the Book of Abraham controversy and the false translations surrounding it?

Not a single person would join the church. Not one. This is why this information is so important and needs to sweep the world via the Internet. The world needs to know that Mormonism and deception go hand in hand. The church is not going to be able to stop it and their apologetic efforts will prove no more effective in stemming the tide of disaffection and seriously reduce growth of the church. Intelligent people in the world are not going to stand for this Mormon garbage.
_CaliforniaKid
_Emeritus

Post by _CaliforniaKid »

:smile:
_zerinus
_Emeritus

Post by _zerinus »

Philo Sofee wrote:well about the opposite sex having a reputation... don't forget that little babe on the lion couch that has the name Abraham underneath that Gee hoped would authenticate the book of Abraham and Joseph Smith translation. In the actual context, contra Gee, and Muhlestein, that little girl was being seduced by magic spells so she would spread her legs and get laid. So I mean hey it comes from Antiquity and it's all the way up into today's modern era. :lol: You could possibly take some consolation in realizing that it takes a sacrifice like Abraham on that lion couch in that Greek magical papyri to stop gaining your reputation :lol:
Does "opposite sex" mean someone who is opposed to sex, or does it mean doing sex the opposite way?