Freedom of Religion - plural marriage

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_I have a question
_Emeritus

Freedom of Religion - plural marriage

Post by _I have a question »

SALT LAKE CITY — After nearly three hours of often emotional testimony about polygamy, including from women who said they were forced into underage marriages, a House committee voted to hold a bill altering the definition of bigamy.

HB99, sponsored by Rep. Mike Noel, R-Kanab, drew a standing room only audience that also included men and women who told members of the House Judiciary Committee they feared prosecution for practicing polygamy.
Link

Surely Elder Oaks stands shoulder to shoulder with polygamists who simply want the freedom of practicing their religion, right?

The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is concerned about the temporal and spiritual welfare of all of God's children across the earth, with special concern for those who are fleeing physical violence, war and religious persecution. The Church urges all people and governments to cooperate fully in seeking the best solutions to meet human needs and relieve suffering.
Link

I'm sure all members of the Church agree that the religious persecution polygamists are suffering at the hands of the Utah legislature is something that needs speaking out against, right?
“When we are confronted with evidence that challenges our deeply held beliefs we are more likely to reframe the evidence than we are to alter our beliefs. We simply invent new reasons, new justifications, new explanations. Sometimes we ignore the evidence altogether.” (Mathew Syed 'Black Box Thinking')