Polygamy, Shared Guilt, Control

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_JLHPROF
_Emeritus

Re: Polygamy, Shared Guilt, Control

Post by _JLHPROF »

I feel no guilt over my belief in Mormonism nor my acceptance of polygamy as a doctrine revealed from God.

If other members do feel guilt, perhaps they would do well to stop listening to those who have a problem with polygamy or any other aspect of the gospel. They clearly aren't working from a position of faith.
Thy mind, O man! if thou wilt lead a soul unto salvation, must stretch as high as the utmost heavens, and search into and contemplate the darkest abyss, and the broad expanse of eternity—thou must commune with God. - Joseph Smith
_sock puppet
_Emeritus

Post by _sock puppet »

Polygamy is a reality of Eternal Life. The mere scent of it made men mad at first wiff. You cannot get around that in Mormonism.
Women are saved in childbearing. Men on the other hand must have their seed sanctified and even after that be proven at all hazards to endure unto their calling and election made sure, whereby they are given Eternal Life. Women need not be given the promise of Eternal Life. It is a priesthood only burden. Women are given to and sealed to those who have Eternal Life. Do you Mormons really imagine that Eve brought forth alone the billions and billions who have come to this earth? That will be an affront to equal rights for women.

How is a man's 'seed sanctified' by it producing offspring with multiple women rather than just one?
How is polygamy intrinsically 'a reality of Eternal Life'? Don't merely repeat the conclusion; explain why it is so, what it achieves that monogamy does not.
_I have a question
_Emeritus

Post by _I have a question »

JLHPROF wrote:I feel no guilt over my belief in Mormonism nor my acceptance of polygamy as a doctrine revealed from God.

If other members do feel guilt, perhaps they would do well to stop listening to those who have a problem with polygamy or any other aspect of the gospel. They clearly aren't working from a position of faith.

Gordon B Hinckley (Prophet) clearly not working from a position of faith...
Question 4: What is the Church’s position on polygamy?

We are faced these days with many newspaper articles on this subject. This has arisen out of a case of alleged child abuse on the part of some of those practicing plural marriage.

I wish to state categorically that this Church has nothing whatever to do with those practicing polygamy. They are not members of this Church. Most of them have never been members. They are in violation of the civil law. They know they are in violation of the law. They are subject to its penalties. The Church, of course, has no jurisdiction whatever in this matter.

If any of our members are found to be practicing plural marriage, they are excommunicated, the most serious penalty the Church can impose. Not only are those so involved in direct violation of the civil law, they are in violation of the law of this Church. An article of our faith is binding upon us. It states, “We believe in being subject to kings, presidents, rulers, and magistrates, in obeying, honoring, and sustaining the law” (A of F 1:12). One cannot obey the law and disobey the law at the same time.

There is no such thing as a “Mormon Fundamentalist.” It is a contradiction to use the two words together.

More than a century ago God clearly revealed unto His prophet Wilford Woodruff that the practice of plural marriage should be discontinued, which means that it is now against the law of God. Even in countries where civil or religious law allows polygamy, the Church teaches that marriage must be monogamous and does not accept into its membership those practicing plural marriage.

https://www.lds.org/general-conference/ ... s?lang=eng
“When we are confronted with evidence that challenges our deeply held beliefs we are more likely to reframe the evidence than we are to alter our beliefs. We simply invent new reasons, new justifications, new explanations. Sometimes we ignore the evidence altogether.” (Mathew Syed 'Black Box Thinking')
_grindael
_Emeritus

Post by _grindael »

Gee, what Hinckley wrote sounds just like what they wrote in 1844 in the Times and Seasons...

The saints of the last days have witnessed the outgoings and incomings of so many apostates that nothing but truth has any effect upon them. In the present instance, after the sham quotations of Sidney and his clique, from the Bible, Book of Mormon, and Doctrine and Covenants, to skulk off, under the "dreadful splendor" of "spiritual wifery," which is brought into the account as graciously as if the law of the land allowed a man a plurality of wives, is fiendish, and like the rest of Sidney's revelation, just because he wanted "to go to Pittsburg [Pittsburgh] and live." Wo to the man or men who will thus wilfully [willfully] lie to injure an innocent people! The law of the land and the rules of the church do not allow one man to have more than one wife alive at once, but if any man's wife die, he has a right to marry another, and to be sealed to both for eternity; to the living and the dead! there is no law of God or man against it! This is all the spiritual wife system that ever was tolerated in the church, and they know it. (John Taylor, November 15, 1844)

All they do is lie.
Riding on a speeding train; trapped inside a revolving door;
Lost in the riddle of a quatrain; Stuck in an elevator between floors.
One focal point in a random world can change your direction:
One step where events converge may alter your perception.
_charlotte
_Emeritus

Post by _charlotte »

Nightlion wrote:What sort of progress do you envision?

At a bare minimum, the church needs to say that mortal polygamy is over. No "from time to time the Lord commands" crap holding open the door to mortal polygamy just in case. Millions of faithful, compliant LDS women have agonized over this, and not putting it to rest is straight-up emotional abuse.
_I have a question
_Emeritus

Post by _I have a question »

charlotte wrote:
Nightlion wrote:What sort of progress do you envision?

At a bare minimum, the church needs to say that mortal polygamy is over. No "from time to time the Lord commands" crap holding open the door to mortal polygamy just in case. Millions of faithful, compliant LDS women have agonized over this, and not putting it to rest is straight-up emotional abuse.

So you're good with eternal polygamy?
“When we are confronted with evidence that challenges our deeply held beliefs we are more likely to reframe the evidence than we are to alter our beliefs. We simply invent new reasons, new justifications, new explanations. Sometimes we ignore the evidence altogether.” (Mathew Syed 'Black Box Thinking')
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Post by _Kishkumen »

I reject the notion that I am in any way supporting a "slide into secularism" (as though that were some kind of bad thing) by urging the Mormon community to recognize the faults of Joseph Smith and condemn the practice of polygamy. Section 132 needs to be thoroughly understood and deconstructed. Further revelation or theological discussion of an authoritative kind may be required. But, I see no reason why Mormons need to be saddled with a sadly juvenile and literalistic view of the afterlife as this giant breeding ground for god-men and their mega harems to produce myriad spirit babies. Frankly, the whole idea is so absurd and repugnant that it rates below homunculi in theories of reproduction.
"Petition wasn’t meant to start a witch hunt as I’ve said 6000 times." ~ Hanna Seariac, LDS apologist
_Doctor Steuss
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor Steuss »

Nightlion wrote:I fail to understand what you infer here.
I never said 'without Eve'. The point is that Adam is the father of our spirit bodies. Eve could not possibly be the ONLY mother of so many.

So, Adam can have a godlike refractory period, but Eve cannot have a godlike gestation period?

Spiritual reproduction is rascally.
"Some people never go crazy. What truly horrible lives they must lead." ~Charles Bukowski
_Nightlion
_Emeritus

Post by _Nightlion »

sock puppet wrote:
Polygamy is a reality of Eternal Life. The mere scent of it made men mad at first wiff. You cannot get around that in Mormonism.
Women are saved in childbearing. Men on the other hand must have their seed sanctified and even after that be proven at all hazards to endure unto their calling and election made sure, whereby they are given Eternal Life. Women need not be given the promise of Eternal Life. It is a priesthood only burden. Women are given to and sealed to those who have Eternal Life. Do you Mormons really imagine that Eve brought forth alone the billions and billions who have come to this earth? That will be an affront to equal rights for women.

How is a man's 'seed sanctified' by it producing offspring with multiple women rather than just one?
How is polygamy intrinsically 'a reality of Eternal Life'? Don't merely repeat the conclusion; explain why it is so, what it achieves that monogamy does not.

By being truly born again in this life.
Because billions of women make it while few men do.
The Apocalrock Manifesto and Wonders of Eternity: New Mormon Theology
https://www.docdroid.net/KDt8RNP/the-apocalrock-manifesto.pdf
https://www.docdroid.net/IEJ3KJh/wonders-of-eternity-2009.pdf
My YouTube videos:HERE
_grindael
_Emeritus

Post by _grindael »

Because billions of women make it while few men do.

This is the kind of garbage that self proclaimed "prophets" have to pedal to justify their bizarre beliefs. Truly ignorant.
Riding on a speeding train; trapped inside a revolving door;
Lost in the riddle of a quatrain; Stuck in an elevator between floors.
One focal point in a random world can change your direction:
One step where events converge may alter your perception.