LDS Apologetic attempt at Book of Mormon Jershon being Hebrew

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Philo Sofee
_Emeritus

LDS Apologetic attempt at Book of Mormon Jershon being Hebrew

Post by _Philo Sofee »

Robert Boylan said
The Hebrew verb meaning “to inherit” is ירשׁ which would be transliterated yrsh or jrsh.
ון (-on) at the end of a word denotes “place of.” Jershon or Yershon would mean “place of inheritance.”

On its own, Book of Mormon “Jershon” has a valid Hebrew etymology, meaning “place of inheritance.” However, there is more.

Now, I am no Hebraist by any means, more of a hobbyist, and a rather poor one, and that may show here. But I am all for being educated properly, but I have a question about this assertion. The claim is "-on at the end of a word denotes "place of."

There is no reference given for this information. It is asserted. I would actually enjoy seeing some valid evidence for this assertion. I used the Strongest Strong's Concordance (the BEST updated Concordance in print now) and Gesenius's Hebrew-Chaldee Lexicon and the maps section in the LDS Bible, in the back, where there are several.

Here is what I did. I looked up every single area, land, city I could find that ended in -on. Then I looked them up in
Strongest Strong's Concordance for the Strong's Hebrew number of each entry. Then I used Gesenius's Hebrew-Chaldee Lexicon to find the meaning of each entry. Here are my results. I include the Strong's Hebrew #
1. Hermon - 2768 - Consecrated place.
2. Madon - 4066 - Contention, tallness.
3. Hebron - 2275 - association.
4. Arnon - 769 - rushing, roaring (it is, after all, a river
5. Ammon - 5983 - Son of my relative, kindred (possibly incest)
6. Amnon - 550 - faithful
7. Heshbon - 2809 - reason, understanding
8. Heshmon - 2810 - war engines
9. Hethlon - 2855 - a hiding place, wrapped up
10. Ashkelon - 831 - migration
11. punon - 6325 - darkness, obscurity
12. Dibon - 1769 - pining
13. Sidon - 6721 - fishing
14. Zephon - 6827 - gaze, lookout (tower)
15. Zion - 6726 - sunny place, sunny mountain
16. Ziphlon - 6837 - expectation, longing
17. Ziphron - 2202 - sweet smell
18. Gibeon - 1391 - built on a hill, pertaining to a hill
19. Madon - 4068 - a royal city - extension, tallness
20. Aijalon - 357 - belonging to a stag
21. Beth-horon - 1032 - place of the hollow
22. Shimron - 8110 - watch, a mountain
23. Kishon - 7191, 7028 - hardness, twisted, tortuous
24. Ijon - 5859 - ruin
25. Ekron - 6138 - eradication
26. Babylon - 894 - confusion
27. Lebanon - 3844 - white, whiteness
28. Sirion - 8303 - Mt Hermon, because it resembles a breastplate
29. Simeon - 8095 - hearing with acceptance
30. AND MY FAVORITE - Imagination.........

Now why all this bother? Because of the majority, and I mean vast majority of place names (and some personal names), found on Bible maps, there is literally none of them that end in -on that means "land of." Now, I may be off base, but the lexicons give the meanings of the names, and I just don't see this assertion have any evidence. What am I missing? I am more than willing to be educated and shown how and where in Hebrew the -on ending means "place of" or "land of" but it won't be the place names in the Bible that show this, because they don't.
Dr CamNC4Me
"Dr. Peterson and his Callithumpian cabal of BYU idiots have been marginalized by their own inevitable irrelevancy defending a fraud."